Question :

Chest Pain and Arm Pain along with tingling.

2 months ago I started having pain in my chest on the left side sometimes on my breast area and sometimes below it more on my rib cage. It also spreads to my left shoulder blade and down my left arm, sometimes to my right side of my chest as well. I thought I was going to have a heart attack so I visited the emergency room and they said it could be a chest wall strain. I followed up with a doctor and got a ultra sound of my heart done and they said it looked ok. Well a week ago I was still experiencing pain in my chest and feeling light headed along with tingling in my arms and jaw so I went to the Emergency room again. This time they said it was possibly anxiety related and it was all in my head and I might have stomach ulcers due to anxiety so they prescribed me with 25mg of Nortriptylin to take before I go to sleep each night. I have been taking it for a week and I don't seem stressed at all. I am still having pain around the left side of my chest and tingling in my arms and jaw. Sometimes its a sharp stinging pain and sometimes its a burning type of pain. When I go for a run it doesn't seem to bother me, only when im not actively doing anything or when im trying to sleep do I feel the pain. I'm 17 years old and not overweight. Please if you can provide any information it will be of great help.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It seems that your chest pain is non cardiac in origin ie it is not related to the heart. The other causes of chest pain may include chest wall muscular strain, herpes zooster of the chest wall, peptic ulcer disease, reflux problems. These are the most common other causes. You need to get checked up in detail to definately rule out cardiac disease which i see has been already done.However since you are getting arm pain too i would just advice you to get a stress test or stress echo done to definately rule out the possibility of cardiac involvement. You could talk to your physician about starting you on a proton pump inhibitor medication like pantolac which will help and improve the symptoms if it is due to a peptic ulcer or reflux disease. Anxiety can also cause similar chest pain. Please try the trial of the pantolac and also analyse the symptoms as to when during the day they occur. I hope this helps.

Questions related to Chest Pain

Upper right-sided chest pain with no apparent c...

I'm a 31 y/o woman. For the last couple of months I have had intermittent but not serious pain on my right side (high...

Lower Chest pain (Beginning of Ribs)

Hi, just this morning before working out and after playing basketball, I started feeling pain right under my chest fr...

Lower Chest Pain (Beginning of rib cage)

Alternatives to Brilinta

I've been on Brilinta for just over 6 months for 2 drug eluding stents I had put in as a result of my heart attack in...

Chest pain and migraines

I am a 25 year old female. I am tired during the day, but do not sleep well at night. About 2 weeks ago I had a sharp...

I really need answers

Hi i am a 28 year old female who has svt and ingenia i keep having chest pain that goes into my back between my shoil...

Chest pain after being hit

Dear Doctor: Good day to you. While returning home after my night shift last Thursday, I became a victim of attemp...

I'm having chest pains and short breath sharp p...

Hello my name is ashley i have been experiencing shortness of breath and my chest tightened up usually last about 2-5...

Left Chest Pain During/After Eating

Hello, I've been having reoccurring pain in my chest, left arm, and sometimes my left leg. It always occurs during a...

EKG changes post stress test

I was recently hospitalised for post stress test changes on my ekg . It showed prolonged depressed st segment changes...

I have pain in the right side of the chest

I have pain inthe right side of the chest which increases on slight compression or when i try to lie down or wen i tr...

Im scared that this is something really bad. Pl...

If I wear myself out or stay up to long without sleep I will feel like my heart is very tight, my chest has pressure ...

Pleuresy--How do I determine if this is cause ...

what are symptoms of chest pain from Pleuresy?

Should I got to hospital

Hello I have had a cough for last 4 days I am not coughing anything up and I chest is hurting and feels really tight,...

Detached rib

I think that my 10th rib is detached from the cartilage. I can feel the detached end of the rib. I feel pressure when...

Lot of meds

Hello. I'm wanting some help. My wife 40 years old. Is on a lot of different meds ,alirgent to a lot of meds an stuf...

Alcohol poisoning, chest pain next day

My girlfriend had just been alcohol poisoned. Her frends were stupid enough to thing everything would be okay. She wa...

Sharp Pain Under left side of ribcage.

Hey I am 19 years of age and consider myself to be a light smoker

Breathing Problem

My grandmother is around 54 years old and She is having problem in breathing. Echo-cardiography was done and doctors ...

Having sharp chest pains

"I've been haveing sharp chest pains on my left side. A month ago I was taken to hospital with an irregular hear...

smoked for nine years and recently quit

Hi, I am a 26 year old male, I smoked for nine years but recently quit, I have started having sharp almost stabbing p...

Chest coldness

Im getting pain in my chest and feeling like very very cold for about 10 seconds every time I get offended or getting...

Swollen glands in neck

I have swollen glands in my neck and I have been to the doctor for it several times. I have been on antibiotics for i...

Chest pain with dizziness and uneven pupils

I have had this pain/discomfort in the middle of my chest for over a year now. (Along with dizziness, fatigue, ears r...

urgent help required for chest pain

Hi Doctor I am 27 year old I have pain in my center chest as I wake up in the morning and pain remains for some tim...

Post Your Thoughts