Question :

Intermittent claudication - Pain in both legs

I have pain in both my legs when i walk a distance i have to stop and start walking again. i know its the veins not getting blood but i can't go see a doctor i can't get an appointment until april. is there any thing i can do in the meantime, could i use a ace band or something or is there cream for it.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Pain that develops in the muscles of the legs when taking exercise, such as walking could be due to intermittent claudication (vascular claudication). The calf muscles are mostly affected and patients usually describe this a a cramping discomfort. Initially most are able to walk through the pain but as disease progresses, it is not possible to walk and can only be relieved by resting. The principal risk factors for the development of peripheral artery disease (PAD) or intermittent claudication are cigarette smoking, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia. Therapy for intermittent claudication may involve medical, percutaneous, and/or surgical approaches. Most patients with intermittent claudication, except for those with critical limb ischemia, are treated initially with medical therapy. Pharmacologic therapy of claudication is aimed at symptomatic relief or slowing the progression of the natural disease. Anti-platelet drugs like aspirin or clopidogrel may be prescribed by your doctor if there is evidence of of PAD. Creams and bands will not relieve your symptoms. Avoid smoking (if you smoke) and consult a physiotherapist for a supervised exercise program that is recommended as part of the initial treatment regimen. It should be performed for a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes at least three times per week for a minimum of 12 weeks.

Questions related to Pain

Unusual Bottom-Back Tooth Pain

I recently had a broken tooth filling fixed, but now it feels broken once again. As I bit into a carrot, at least one...

Hurts my thigh when I walk on my heel.

I fell on my leg while skateboarding, and now whenever I try to walk it hurts my upper right thigh. I can do flop ...

Nerve pain in neck hand & foot

My daughter has been having health problems with her foot, hands and neck for the past 6 months. She's had 2 emg and ...

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS DISCOMFORT?

I HAVE DISCOMFORT RIGHT SIDE UNDER RIB CAGE ESPICALLY WHEN I AM SITTING

Back pain, chest, diziness, unwel feeling

Feeling unwel, pain in back, unable to stand upright, loss of balance, dizzy. Loss of weight whilst eating normal.

Female pelvic pain with vomiting and diarrhea

I have been having really bad pelvic pain following sexual intercourse on saturday. I have very runny bowl movements ...

Painful burning penis

I am 28. my penis burns and hurts all the time and is red.. it does not hurt any worse or less when I pee..

Does my shin injury require medical attention?

I hit my shin really hard getting out of our boat yesterday. The area I hit almost immediately swelled up into a gia...

Pain in Lower Leg/Weakness in Leg

I have been researching for the past twenty minutes and have found many answers, but I just want to clarify some info...

19 year old with muscle/joint pain like an old ...

For a couples years I've had lower back pain and jaw pain. A year ago I started having pain in my hips, which would g...

17 and has hip pain?

I'm 17 and recently my right hip has started to hurt. It doesn't hurt much at all but it still has some pulsing pain....

My leg and foot turn deep purple and I recently...

I broke my foot almost 8 weeks ago. I have been walking of foot for a couple of weeks. My leg and foot turn really ...

Tailbone pain when sitting prior to bowel movement

For the past two weeks I have experienced occasional tailbone pain. It only occurs when I sit down within an hour or ...

Sensitivity in leg that is moving down towards ...

Hi I am a lady of 53. Two days ago I had a boil or bug bite on my inner upper thigh. I squeezed it to release the p...

Dislocating legs causing knee and ankle pain?

Since I hit puberty (a decade and a half ago), my legs have been dislocating at the hip. Since that's happened I've ...

Could this be a blood clot?

I have had pain in my left leg for over a month. I've had 2 negative ultrasounds and 2 negative d dimers and a normal...

Neck, throat, jaw dull pain

Ok, three times this past year I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and all 3 times everythi...

What should I do It's hurting really bad

I have pain under my left breast and in my upper left back. Should I go to the Hosital or wait to see my doctor?

Diagnostic needed for stomach pain/cough

Hello, I am a 24 y/o female who exercises regular, of regular weight, and have no history of any health problems....

Pain After Accessory Navicular Surgery

I had an accessory navicular (extra bone) in both of my ankles. The first caused pain when i was around 12 and i ende...

Pain in head, blurred vision

My friend was just sitting at the table and had pressure in her head for 9 seconds and her vision was blurry? Could ...

Help me with my swollen ankel

I'm diabetic and I have been running for exercise. For the past 2 weeks, my left ankle has been swelling. The pain is...

Fell on Knee and 3 weeks later still painful

I fell on a wet concrete floor on my left knee on July 18th! It had a pretty bad bruise. Now on August 8 my knee is r...

Underwear Line Pain, please tell me what to do

I have pain where my underwear line is and it went away with Ibuprofen, but it go worse last night. More than the las...

Pain when walking with a UTI

Three days ago horrible back pain sent me to the ER. Bloodwork, CT scan, and urine was all clear and no kidney stone...

Post Your Thoughts