Question :

Neck Pain possibly Stress-related

At times, I feel a neck pain, it can happen either on the right or left side of the neck or around those areas, it depends. Never on the back though, it's always in the front of my neck, it feels as if it's around my throat area. Not exactly there, but around it. It is not a muscular pain, it almost feels as if it's something related to the arteries or something... It's not easy to explain. Because I feel the pressure there higher than normal. This mainly happens a while after I eat and it's been happening for 1 or 2 years now. There are times when this doesn't happen very often and other times when it happens more frequently, it's not a consistent thing. I feel my anxiety levels raised when this happens, even if I was not anxious about anything in particular. I have thought about hypertension, high blood pressure, high cholesterol... Even diabetes or something related to the thyroid. Accumulated stress could be an option too, but that would reflect on a muscular pain in the back of the neck, right? I haven't seen a doctor about this yet and I was wondering if this could be something serious that should be checked. Thanks in advance!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Many different stresses may cause neck pain. Some causes are: whiplash from a car accident, poor posture causing misalignment of the head, neck and shoulders; wear and tear over the years causing arthritis; and age. Such activities can aggravate neck pain: sleeping on 2 or more pillows where your head is at an angle; reading in bed; poor posture while gaming (i.e. X-Box, Playstation); and prolonged stress while working at the computer. Whatever your reason for neck pain, a physical therapist can help you recover quickly, teach you good habits, teach you exercises to strengthen your neck muscles to prevent reoccurrences to reduce ongoing pain or stiffness. What can you do for neck pain? First, seek your doctor for a thorough evaluation and obtain a diagnosis. Second, stay active. Try to keep up with your normal activities, bed rest is not necessary. If you are given a neck collar try not to wear it longer than 1-2 days. After this period should you use it only if your head feels heavy and your neck feels like it can’t hold up your head; even then it should only be for short durations (i.e 30-45min). When your neck hurts, the goal is to keep your spine in a neutral position. Avoid bending your head forward or off to the side. Rest is necessary for short periods. However, remember you want to try to keep active. It is just as important to allow your neck to rest. If your neck gets tired, the muscles will stiffen as a result. Avoid resting with too many pillows. Try to fill in the gap of the back of the neck and the bed with a pillow preferably with a memory foam one or if that is not tolerated, a down pillow can be formed under the neck and head.

Questions related to Pain

Unusual Bottom-Back Tooth Pain

I recently had a broken tooth filling fixed, but now it feels broken once again. As I bit into a carrot, at least one...

Hurts my thigh when I walk on my heel.

I fell on my leg while skateboarding, and now whenever I try to walk it hurts my upper right thigh. I can do flop ...

Nerve pain in neck hand & foot

My daughter has been having health problems with her foot, hands and neck for the past 6 months. She's had 2 emg and ...

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS DISCOMFORT?

I HAVE DISCOMFORT RIGHT SIDE UNDER RIB CAGE ESPICALLY WHEN I AM SITTING

Back pain, chest, diziness, unwel feeling

Feeling unwel, pain in back, unable to stand upright, loss of balance, dizzy. Loss of weight whilst eating normal.

Female pelvic pain with vomiting and diarrhea

I have been having really bad pelvic pain following sexual intercourse on saturday. I have very runny bowl movements ...

Painful burning penis

I am 28. my penis burns and hurts all the time and is red.. it does not hurt any worse or less when I pee..

Does my shin injury require medical attention?

I hit my shin really hard getting out of our boat yesterday. The area I hit almost immediately swelled up into a gia...

Pain in Lower Leg/Weakness in Leg

I have been researching for the past twenty minutes and have found many answers, but I just want to clarify some info...

19 year old with muscle/joint pain like an old ...

For a couples years I've had lower back pain and jaw pain. A year ago I started having pain in my hips, which would g...

17 and has hip pain?

I'm 17 and recently my right hip has started to hurt. It doesn't hurt much at all but it still has some pulsing pain....

My leg and foot turn deep purple and I recently...

I broke my foot almost 8 weeks ago. I have been walking of foot for a couple of weeks. My leg and foot turn really ...

Tailbone pain when sitting prior to bowel movement

For the past two weeks I have experienced occasional tailbone pain. It only occurs when I sit down within an hour or ...

Sensitivity in leg that is moving down towards ...

Hi I am a lady of 53. Two days ago I had a boil or bug bite on my inner upper thigh. I squeezed it to release the p...

Dislocating legs causing knee and ankle pain?

Since I hit puberty (a decade and a half ago), my legs have been dislocating at the hip. Since that's happened I've ...

Could this be a blood clot?

I have had pain in my left leg for over a month. I've had 2 negative ultrasounds and 2 negative d dimers and a normal...

Neck, throat, jaw dull pain

Ok, three times this past year I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and all 3 times everythi...

What should I do It's hurting really bad

I have pain under my left breast and in my upper left back. Should I go to the Hosital or wait to see my doctor?

Diagnostic needed for stomach pain/cough

Hello, I am a 24 y/o female who exercises regular, of regular weight, and have no history of any health problems....

Pain After Accessory Navicular Surgery

I had an accessory navicular (extra bone) in both of my ankles. The first caused pain when i was around 12 and i ende...

Pain in head, blurred vision

My friend was just sitting at the table and had pressure in her head for 9 seconds and her vision was blurry? Could ...

Help me with my swollen ankel

I'm diabetic and I have been running for exercise. For the past 2 weeks, my left ankle has been swelling. The pain is...

Fell on Knee and 3 weeks later still painful

I fell on a wet concrete floor on my left knee on July 18th! It had a pretty bad bruise. Now on August 8 my knee is r...

Underwear Line Pain, please tell me what to do

I have pain where my underwear line is and it went away with Ibuprofen, but it go worse last night. More than the las...

Pain when walking with a UTI

Three days ago horrible back pain sent me to the ER. Bloodwork, CT scan, and urine was all clear and no kidney stone...

Post Your Thoughts