Question :

Possible cervical degenerative bone changes causing severe pain

I am a 47 year old female; I have been having severe neck pain for several months. The pain is in the top center of my neck, down both sides of my neck and into both shoulders. I have seen my physician who is a MD (internal medicine); which ordered an MRI on the spine. His opinion after reading the results of the MRI was a pinched nerve or nerves; and wanted me to see a specialist. This doctor was also aware that I had been seeing a chiropractor, and said I could continue seeing him. The chiropractor tried massage therapy along with "trying" to adjust my neck; which did not work, it only made the pain worse. When he saw that I was in so much pain he suggested that I "lay off" the visits until a specialist had seen me. I continued with my doctor's advice and the advice from the Chiropractor and scheduled an appointment with a Neurosurgeon. When I saw this "specialist", I was told that he specializes in "spine surgery"; and I did not need surgery. He ask me to move my head downward; then backward; (which I did until there was pain) then he ask me to move side to side which I told him I could not do without pain. Not once did he put his hands on my neck, back, or spine. He had only read the MRI results; looked at the images, and checked my reflexes and watched me walk. His diagnosis was arthritis. I tried to explain to him that my pain level was an 11 based upon the 1 to 10 scale. He suggested Pain Management and sent me on my way. Next, I continued my search for pain relief and went to Acupuncture clinic; which I feel was a waste of time and money. I have tried moist heat, ice, massage, soft neck brace, and narcotics. The only way I feel any relief is if I take something that makes me go to sleep; then I feel no pain; which can't be good. I have included the results of the MRI that I think would be most helpful in trying to determine a suggestion for a possible diagnosis. I am currently seeking a second opinion, but for now I am really scared. The pain won't go away, I haven't been able to work for almost 3 months now, and I just want to cry all the time because the pain is so intense. My question is: What do you think it could be and where should I turn to for more help? I am very limited for specialist visits with my insurance (5 per year); and I've used 1 already with No satisfying results. Unfortunately, if I do go to a Pain Management that is considered a specialist visit, so I am trying to avoid that. Thank you!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The severe neck pain radiated to your shoulders as you described might be due to a cervical nerve compression, In the younger patients, cervical radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient, cervical radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone spur(osteophyte) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process, all these should be showing in the MRI. The treatment strategy usually includes: physical therapy program aimed to reduce pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory medication NSAIDs (“motrin”, “Aleve”), also a re-education of your habits and posture to improve quality of life. You should be independent in a stretching and strengthening program and continue with these exercises under the periodic supervision of a physical therapist initially and then completely on your own. If after try all these, your condition fail to improve even with a comprehensive rehabilitation program and selective injections you should be presented with a surgical evaluation. I strongly recommend you to go to a orthopedic surgeon specialized in spine problems and get your second opinion.

Questions related to Pain

Back pain, chest, diziness, unwel feeling

Feeling unwel, pain in back, unable to stand upright, loss of balance, dizzy. Loss of weight whilst eating normal.

Female pelvic pain with vomiting and diarrhea

I have been having really bad pelvic pain following sexual intercourse on saturday. I have very runny bowl movements ...

17 and has hip pain?

I'm 17 and recently my right hip has started to hurt. It doesn't hurt much at all but it still has some pulsing pain....

My leg and foot turn deep purple and I recently...

I broke my foot almost 8 weeks ago. I have been walking of foot for a couple of weeks. My leg and foot turn really ...

Tailbone pain when sitting prior to bowel movement

For the past two weeks I have experienced occasional tailbone pain. It only occurs when I sit down within an hour or ...

Sensitivity in leg that is moving down towards ...

Hi I am a lady of 53. Two days ago I had a boil or bug bite on my inner upper thigh. I squeezed it to release the p...

Dislocating legs causing knee and ankle pain?

Since I hit puberty (a decade and a half ago), my legs have been dislocating at the hip. Since that's happened I've ...

Could this be a blood clot?

I have had pain in my left leg for over a month. I've had 2 negative ultrasounds and 2 negative d dimers and a normal...

Neck, throat, jaw dull pain

Ok, three times this past year I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and all 3 times everythi...

What should I do It's hurting really bad

I have pain under my left breast and in my upper left back. Should I go to the Hosital or wait to see my doctor?

Diagnostic needed for stomach pain/cough

Hello, I am a 24 y/o female who exercises regular, of regular weight, and have no history of any health problems....

Pain After Accessory Navicular Surgery

I had an accessory navicular (extra bone) in both of my ankles. The first caused pain when i was around 12 and i ende...

Pain in head, blurred vision

My friend was just sitting at the table and had pressure in her head for 9 seconds and her vision was blurry? Could ...

Help me with my swollen ankel

I'm diabetic and I have been running for exercise. For the past 2 weeks, my left ankle has been swelling. The pain is...

Fell on Knee and 3 weeks later still painful

I fell on a wet concrete floor on my left knee on July 18th! It had a pretty bad bruise. Now on August 8 my knee is r...

Underwear Line Pain, please tell me what to do

I have pain where my underwear line is and it went away with Ibuprofen, but it go worse last night. More than the las...

Pain when walking with a UTI

Three days ago horrible back pain sent me to the ER. Bloodwork, CT scan, and urine was all clear and no kidney stone...

Cause of left leg pain lasting over 2 months in...

I have had pain throughout my left leg for approx. 2 months. The pain is dull and used to be intermittent, but is now...

Very tender ribs, easy bruising.. what could th...

I have rib pain that seems to come and go, sometimes it is in my front ribs underneath my breasts, and then it will g...

Help me ASAP please and thank you!!

I fell today while on a hike with kids going down hill. not to steep. I fell and I belive i twisted my ankle. There w...

Possible Viral Sickness

It started yesterday, as I was already feeling sick "(Cold, Low Energy)" I got this sudden sharp pain that ...

pinched thigh now lump

ok my husband and i were fooling around and he pinched my thigh between his leg under his knee..... well i knew it wo...

swollen and painful toes through knee

I was camping last week and I woke up on the last day and my right foot was very swollen with pain in my big toe and ...

Pain in buttocks due to injury

Yesterday I lost a tube on a water slide then went down hitting all of the tube connections. It hurt my buttocks. I ...

Severe head/neck pain

I have a severe pain in the lower back of my head. It has gotten to the point where I am having troubles sleeping. I ...

Post Your Thoughts