Question :

Sharp pain that travels from the groin to the foot

My husband has been experiencing pain off and on for the past month or more that starts at the groin and travels to his foot. The pain he says is very sharp and usually goes away quickly but lately they have been lasting longer. It doesn't matter if he is sitting, standing or sleeping, he has gotten them in all positions. Sometimes he will go days without them and other times he might get several a day. He has a doctor appointment made for the 6th of April, can he wait until then or is this something he should check out right away?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Most likely your husband possibly strained the tendons of the groin, producing  a tear to any one of the five adductor muscles. If it isn’t treated properly it can recur causing problems in the future. The main function of the adductors is to pull the legs back towards the midline, a movement called adduction. During normal walking they are used in pulling the swinging lower limb towards the middle to maintain balance. They are also used extensively in sprinting, playing football, horse riding, hurdling and any sport which requires fast changes in direction. A rupture or tear in the muscle usually occurs when sprinting, changing direction or in rapid movements of the leg against resistance such as kicking a ball. This is especially likely if a thorough warm-up has not been undertaken first. The treatment is conservative consisting of: initially, protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (known as the PRICE formula) can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Heat can be applied when the swelling has lessened, anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. Try these measures until your husband have the doctor’s appointment, then if the pain gets complicated or persists, some other causes should be ruled out but this is up to your doctor to order the correspondent lab and imaging tests.

Questions related to Pain

Back pain, chest, diziness, unwel feeling

Feeling unwel, pain in back, unable to stand upright, loss of balance, dizzy. Loss of weight whilst eating normal.

Female pelvic pain with vomiting and diarrhea

I have been having really bad pelvic pain following sexual intercourse on saturday. I have very runny bowl movements ...

My leg and foot turn deep purple and I recently...

I broke my foot almost 8 weeks ago. I have been walking of foot for a couple of weeks. My leg and foot turn really ...

Tailbone pain when sitting prior to bowel movement

For the past two weeks I have experienced occasional tailbone pain. It only occurs when I sit down within an hour or ...

Sensitivity in leg that is moving down towards ...

Hi I am a lady of 53. Two days ago I had a boil or bug bite on my inner upper thigh. I squeezed it to release the p...

Dislocating legs causing knee and ankle pain?

Since I hit puberty (a decade and a half ago), my legs have been dislocating at the hip. Since that's happened I've ...

Could this be a blood clot?

I have had pain in my left leg for over a month. I've had 2 negative ultrasounds and 2 negative d dimers and a normal...

Neck, throat, jaw dull pain

Ok, three times this past year I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and all 3 times everythi...

What should I do It's hurting really bad

I have pain under my left breast and in my upper left back. Should I go to the Hosital or wait to see my doctor?

Diagnostic needed for stomach pain/cough

Hello, I am a 24 y/o female who exercises regular, of regular weight, and have no history of any health problems....

Pain After Accessory Navicular Surgery

I had an accessory navicular (extra bone) in both of my ankles. The first caused pain when i was around 12 and i ende...

Pain in head, blurred vision

My friend was just sitting at the table and had pressure in her head for 9 seconds and her vision was blurry? Could ...

Help me with my swollen ankel

I'm diabetic and I have been running for exercise. For the past 2 weeks, my left ankle has been swelling. The pain is...

Fell on Knee and 3 weeks later still painful

I fell on a wet concrete floor on my left knee on July 18th! It had a pretty bad bruise. Now on August 8 my knee is r...

Underwear Line Pain, please tell me what to do

I have pain where my underwear line is and it went away with Ibuprofen, but it go worse last night. More than the las...

Pain when walking with a UTI

Three days ago horrible back pain sent me to the ER. Bloodwork, CT scan, and urine was all clear and no kidney stone...

Cause of left leg pain lasting over 2 months in...

I have had pain throughout my left leg for approx. 2 months. The pain is dull and used to be intermittent, but is now...

Very tender ribs, easy bruising.. what could th...

I have rib pain that seems to come and go, sometimes it is in my front ribs underneath my breasts, and then it will g...

Help me ASAP please and thank you!!

I fell today while on a hike with kids going down hill. not to steep. I fell and I belive i twisted my ankle. There w...

Possible Viral Sickness

It started yesterday, as I was already feeling sick "(Cold, Low Energy)" I got this sudden sharp pain that ...

pinched thigh now lump

ok my husband and i were fooling around and he pinched my thigh between his leg under his knee..... well i knew it wo...

swollen and painful toes through knee

I was camping last week and I woke up on the last day and my right foot was very swollen with pain in my big toe and ...

Pain in buttocks due to injury

Yesterday I lost a tube on a water slide then went down hitting all of the tube connections. It hurt my buttocks. I ...

Severe head/neck pain

I have a severe pain in the lower back of my head. It has gotten to the point where I am having troubles sleeping. I ...

HEAD, NECK AND BACK INJURY

In December 2013, while unloading an 18 wheeler the entire load of the truck fell on me. When I got to the ER the doc...

Post Your Thoughts