Question :

Young woman with neck, shoulder pain and headache

For about a week now I have had almost constant shoulder and neck pain. Sometimes its so bad it gives me a headache and makes me nauseated. Today I actually vomited. I'm not sure if the vomiting is related to the pain but I'm getting worried. What could be the problem?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Your description most likely correspond to a  tension headache, which is generally a diffuse, mild to moderate pain that's often described as feeling like a tight band around your head, above your eyes, may radiate to neck and shoulders by muscle tension and may produce nausea. A tension headache is the most common type of headache. Managing a tension headache is often a balance between fostering healthy habits, finding effective nondrug treatments and using medications appropriately. The exact cause is unknown, but sustained contraction of the muscles of neck, face and scalp may contribute to cause the pain. Potential triggers include the following: Stress, depression, anxiety, poor posture, and jaw clenching, working in awkward position or holding the same position for a long time. The risk factors for tension headache: being a woman (90% of woman experience tension headaches during their lifetimes); also they are more common in middle age people. Sometimes, Rest, ice packs or a long, hot shower may be all you need to relieve a tension headache, but if these are not enough try some of these suggestions:  manage your stress level (relax techniques, meditation); Applying heat or ice to sore muscles may ease a tension headache. Which treatment to apply is a matter of personal preference.  Good posture can help keep your muscles from tensing up. It places minimal strain on your muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones. Good posture supports and protects all parts of your body and allows you to move efficiently. When standing, hold your shoulders back and your head high. Pull in your abdomen and buttocks and tuck in your chin. When sitting, make sure your thighs are parallel to the ground and your head isn't slumped forward. Pain medications don't cure headaches; they just relieve the symptoms temporarily. Over time, painkillers and other medications may lose their effectiveness or they might even cause headaches. To avoid the development of medication overuse headaches, don't use over-the-counter pain relievers for more than nine days a month. In addition, all medications have side effects. If you take medications regularly, including products you buy over-the-counter, discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. Also, remember that pain medications aren't a substitute for recognizing and dealing with the stressors that may be triggering your headaches. Using medications in conjunction with stress management techniques may be more effective than is either treatment alone in reducing your tension headaches. Additionally, living a healthy lifestyle, meaning getting enough sleep, not smoking, exercising regularly and eating healthy foods, may help prevent tension headaches.

Questions related to Pain

Back pain, chest, diziness, unwel feeling

Feeling unwel, pain in back, unable to stand upright, loss of balance, dizzy. Loss of weight whilst eating normal.

Female pelvic pain with vomiting and diarrhea

I have been having really bad pelvic pain following sexual intercourse on saturday. I have very runny bowl movements ...

Does my shin injury require medical attention?

I hit my shin really hard getting out of our boat yesterday. The area I hit almost immediately swelled up into a gia...

Pain in Lower Leg/Weakness in Leg

I have been researching for the past twenty minutes and have found many answers, but I just want to clarify some info...

19 year old with muscle/joint pain like an old ...

For a couples years I've had lower back pain and jaw pain. A year ago I started having pain in my hips, which would g...

17 and has hip pain?

I'm 17 and recently my right hip has started to hurt. It doesn't hurt much at all but it still has some pulsing pain....

My leg and foot turn deep purple and I recently...

I broke my foot almost 8 weeks ago. I have been walking of foot for a couple of weeks. My leg and foot turn really ...

Tailbone pain when sitting prior to bowel movement

For the past two weeks I have experienced occasional tailbone pain. It only occurs when I sit down within an hour or ...

Sensitivity in leg that is moving down towards ...

Hi I am a lady of 53. Two days ago I had a boil or bug bite on my inner upper thigh. I squeezed it to release the p...

Dislocating legs causing knee and ankle pain?

Since I hit puberty (a decade and a half ago), my legs have been dislocating at the hip. Since that's happened I've ...

Could this be a blood clot?

I have had pain in my left leg for over a month. I've had 2 negative ultrasounds and 2 negative d dimers and a normal...

Neck, throat, jaw dull pain

Ok, three times this past year I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and all 3 times everythi...

What should I do It's hurting really bad

I have pain under my left breast and in my upper left back. Should I go to the Hosital or wait to see my doctor?

Diagnostic needed for stomach pain/cough

Hello, I am a 24 y/o female who exercises regular, of regular weight, and have no history of any health problems....

Pain After Accessory Navicular Surgery

I had an accessory navicular (extra bone) in both of my ankles. The first caused pain when i was around 12 and i ende...

Pain in head, blurred vision

My friend was just sitting at the table and had pressure in her head for 9 seconds and her vision was blurry? Could ...

Help me with my swollen ankel

I'm diabetic and I have been running for exercise. For the past 2 weeks, my left ankle has been swelling. The pain is...

Fell on Knee and 3 weeks later still painful

I fell on a wet concrete floor on my left knee on July 18th! It had a pretty bad bruise. Now on August 8 my knee is r...

Underwear Line Pain, please tell me what to do

I have pain where my underwear line is and it went away with Ibuprofen, but it go worse last night. More than the las...

Pain when walking with a UTI

Three days ago horrible back pain sent me to the ER. Bloodwork, CT scan, and urine was all clear and no kidney stone...

Cause of left leg pain lasting over 2 months in...

I have had pain throughout my left leg for approx. 2 months. The pain is dull and used to be intermittent, but is now...

Very tender ribs, easy bruising.. what could th...

I have rib pain that seems to come and go, sometimes it is in my front ribs underneath my breasts, and then it will g...

Help me ASAP please and thank you!!

I fell today while on a hike with kids going down hill. not to steep. I fell and I belive i twisted my ankle. There w...

Possible Viral Sickness

It started yesterday, as I was already feeling sick "(Cold, Low Energy)" I got this sudden sharp pain that ...

pinched thigh now lump

ok my husband and i were fooling around and he pinched my thigh between his leg under his knee..... well i knew it wo...

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: can I take these two med together indomethacin 50mg and oxycodone acetaminophen 7.5-500 for the arm pain