Question :

Calf and ankle pain with cold and numb foot

Have experienced calf and ankle pain in my right leg for three weeks, and my foot often becomes numb and cold after walking. Most often, the pain is sharp in my calf, and dull and exhausting in my ankle, which tires easily. It feels as if there is a kind of numbness between my ankle and my foot, a lack of stability or firmness. There is not always pain or numbness in my calf and foot, but the ankle somehow never feels the same as the one on my left leg. Right now, for example, my one foot is very cold, it takes more effort to move my toes and ankle, moving my big toe sometimes creates a strange pulling sensation in the front of my leg and my calf, and from the lower-calf down is tired. I have had x-rays on that leg and also an MRI on my spine to check for sciatica. Also doctors have felt around my ankle and my leg. Everything appeared to be fine, and it is a big mystery. I (used to) run four days a week, am a very healthy person, eat healthy. This first started, and with serious pain which has by now decreased, the same night as one of my running days - but I felt no pain in that leg while I ran, though my groin muscles on both sides were somehow painful and tight and my left knee was giving me a little trouble for the first fifteen minutes. The pain did not come until I laid in bed that night, and it came on gradually but quickly. Any suggestions or thoughts on what this might be? Thanks for the help.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 In the view that a nerve compression has been ruled out, it is important to rule out the other serious cause of the symptoms that you described: calf pain, with cold and numb foot, and this is a Peripheral artery problem, I advise you to get an evaluation by a cardiovascular surgeon, and if all comes out normal, then we can think that your pain may be consequence of the initial episode that you mentioned and possibly a repetitive stress injury or overuse syndrome. This kind of injuries  happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities at some point. Overuse injuries or repetitive motion injuries make up over 50% of all athletic-related injuries seen by doctors. The most common types of repetitive motion injuries are tendonitis and bursitis.

Questions related to Pain

Back pain, chest, diziness, unwel feeling

Feeling unwel, pain in back, unable to stand upright, loss of balance, dizzy. Loss of weight whilst eating normal.

Female pelvic pain with vomiting and diarrhea

I have been having really bad pelvic pain following sexual intercourse on saturday. I have very runny bowl movements ...

19 year old with muscle/joint pain like an old ...

For a couples years I've had lower back pain and jaw pain. A year ago I started having pain in my hips, which would g...

17 and has hip pain?

I'm 17 and recently my right hip has started to hurt. It doesn't hurt much at all but it still has some pulsing pain....

My leg and foot turn deep purple and I recently...

I broke my foot almost 8 weeks ago. I have been walking of foot for a couple of weeks. My leg and foot turn really ...

Tailbone pain when sitting prior to bowel movement

For the past two weeks I have experienced occasional tailbone pain. It only occurs when I sit down within an hour or ...

Sensitivity in leg that is moving down towards ...

Hi I am a lady of 53. Two days ago I had a boil or bug bite on my inner upper thigh. I squeezed it to release the p...

Dislocating legs causing knee and ankle pain?

Since I hit puberty (a decade and a half ago), my legs have been dislocating at the hip. Since that's happened I've ...

Could this be a blood clot?

I have had pain in my left leg for over a month. I've had 2 negative ultrasounds and 2 negative d dimers and a normal...

Neck, throat, jaw dull pain

Ok, three times this past year I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and all 3 times everythi...

What should I do It's hurting really bad

I have pain under my left breast and in my upper left back. Should I go to the Hosital or wait to see my doctor?

Diagnostic needed for stomach pain/cough

Hello, I am a 24 y/o female who exercises regular, of regular weight, and have no history of any health problems....

Pain After Accessory Navicular Surgery

I had an accessory navicular (extra bone) in both of my ankles. The first caused pain when i was around 12 and i ende...

Pain in head, blurred vision

My friend was just sitting at the table and had pressure in her head for 9 seconds and her vision was blurry? Could ...

Help me with my swollen ankel

I'm diabetic and I have been running for exercise. For the past 2 weeks, my left ankle has been swelling. The pain is...

Fell on Knee and 3 weeks later still painful

I fell on a wet concrete floor on my left knee on July 18th! It had a pretty bad bruise. Now on August 8 my knee is r...

Underwear Line Pain, please tell me what to do

I have pain where my underwear line is and it went away with Ibuprofen, but it go worse last night. More than the las...

Pain when walking with a UTI

Three days ago horrible back pain sent me to the ER. Bloodwork, CT scan, and urine was all clear and no kidney stone...

Cause of left leg pain lasting over 2 months in...

I have had pain throughout my left leg for approx. 2 months. The pain is dull and used to be intermittent, but is now...

Very tender ribs, easy bruising.. what could th...

I have rib pain that seems to come and go, sometimes it is in my front ribs underneath my breasts, and then it will g...

Help me ASAP please and thank you!!

I fell today while on a hike with kids going down hill. not to steep. I fell and I belive i twisted my ankle. There w...

Possible Viral Sickness

It started yesterday, as I was already feeling sick "(Cold, Low Energy)" I got this sudden sharp pain that ...

pinched thigh now lump

ok my husband and i were fooling around and he pinched my thigh between his leg under his knee..... well i knew it wo...

swollen and painful toes through knee

I was camping last week and I woke up on the last day and my right foot was very swollen with pain in my big toe and ...

Pain in buttocks due to injury

Yesterday I lost a tube on a water slide then went down hitting all of the tube connections. It hurt my buttocks. I ...

Post Your Thoughts