Question :

Severe pain in Upper right ribcage and under right shoulder blade.

I am a 32 yr old female. I have been having severe pain in my upper right ribcage that wraps around under my right shoulder blade for a little over a month after eating or drinking anything. I thought at first it was just gas... antacids and Beano seemed to ease the pain atleast at first but over the last 2 weeks it has only gotten worse. I have started skipping lunch at work as it is hard to function when in pain, but it has gotten to where even drinking a cup of coffee causes awful pain. I feel kinda warm feeling and very tired when it hurts.. it tends to last anywhere from a half hour to a couple hours at a time. I've gotten scared to eat or drink anything! Feel a little sick to my stomach occasionally as well. I don't know what to do anymore. It even wakes me in the middle of the night, cant get comfortable and have to walk around. Please help. I am seeing a doctor as soon as I can so any questions you can suggest for me to ask would be greatly appreciated.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern regarding the pain abdomen. You have mentioned that you have severe pain located at the right upper ribcage which worsens on eating and drinking, also antacids have not helped to relieve your symptoms. Though there are many causes of pain abdomen, the most likely differential that I would think of in this case are biliary colic due to gall stones, renal stones, pancreatitis and inflammation of the liver (hepatitis).
You may need to consult you doctor for tests that will help to identify the cause. Your doctor may order a complete blood workup along with liver function and kidney function tests, serum amylase, ultrasound abdomen, x-ray abdomen or an IVP to help in the diagnosis. The treatment will depend on the underlying pathology.

Questions related to Pain

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS DISCOMFORT?

I HAVE DISCOMFORT RIGHT SIDE UNDER RIB CAGE ESPICALLY WHEN I AM SITTING

Back pain, chest, diziness, unwel feeling

Feeling unwel, pain in back, unable to stand upright, loss of balance, dizzy. Loss of weight whilst eating normal.

Female pelvic pain with vomiting and diarrhea

I have been having really bad pelvic pain following sexual intercourse on saturday. I have very runny bowl movements ...

Does my shin injury require medical attention?

I hit my shin really hard getting out of our boat yesterday. The area I hit almost immediately swelled up into a gia...

Pain in Lower Leg/Weakness in Leg

I have been researching for the past twenty minutes and have found many answers, but I just want to clarify some info...

19 year old with muscle/joint pain like an old ...

For a couples years I've had lower back pain and jaw pain. A year ago I started having pain in my hips, which would g...

17 and has hip pain?

I'm 17 and recently my right hip has started to hurt. It doesn't hurt much at all but it still has some pulsing pain....

My leg and foot turn deep purple and I recently...

I broke my foot almost 8 weeks ago. I have been walking of foot for a couple of weeks. My leg and foot turn really ...

Tailbone pain when sitting prior to bowel movement

For the past two weeks I have experienced occasional tailbone pain. It only occurs when I sit down within an hour or ...

Sensitivity in leg that is moving down towards ...

Hi I am a lady of 53. Two days ago I had a boil or bug bite on my inner upper thigh. I squeezed it to release the p...

Dislocating legs causing knee and ankle pain?

Since I hit puberty (a decade and a half ago), my legs have been dislocating at the hip. Since that's happened I've ...

Could this be a blood clot?

I have had pain in my left leg for over a month. I've had 2 negative ultrasounds and 2 negative d dimers and a normal...

Neck, throat, jaw dull pain

Ok, three times this past year I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and all 3 times everythi...

What should I do It's hurting really bad

I have pain under my left breast and in my upper left back. Should I go to the Hosital or wait to see my doctor?

Diagnostic needed for stomach pain/cough

Hello, I am a 24 y/o female who exercises regular, of regular weight, and have no history of any health problems....

Pain After Accessory Navicular Surgery

I had an accessory navicular (extra bone) in both of my ankles. The first caused pain when i was around 12 and i ende...

Pain in head, blurred vision

My friend was just sitting at the table and had pressure in her head for 9 seconds and her vision was blurry? Could ...

Help me with my swollen ankel

I'm diabetic and I have been running for exercise. For the past 2 weeks, my left ankle has been swelling. The pain is...

Fell on Knee and 3 weeks later still painful

I fell on a wet concrete floor on my left knee on July 18th! It had a pretty bad bruise. Now on August 8 my knee is r...

Underwear Line Pain, please tell me what to do

I have pain where my underwear line is and it went away with Ibuprofen, but it go worse last night. More than the las...

Pain when walking with a UTI

Three days ago horrible back pain sent me to the ER. Bloodwork, CT scan, and urine was all clear and no kidney stone...

Cause of left leg pain lasting over 2 months in...

I have had pain throughout my left leg for approx. 2 months. The pain is dull and used to be intermittent, but is now...

Very tender ribs, easy bruising.. what could th...

I have rib pain that seems to come and go, sometimes it is in my front ribs underneath my breasts, and then it will g...

Help me ASAP please and thank you!!

I fell today while on a hike with kids going down hill. not to steep. I fell and I belive i twisted my ankle. There w...

Possible Viral Sickness

It started yesterday, as I was already feeling sick "(Cold, Low Energy)" I got this sudden sharp pain that ...

Post Your Thoughts