Question :

Is it safe to drink alcohol while on Metronidazole?

Hi was given metronidazole yesterday only took 1 200mg yesterday, have not took any today due to side effects, is it safe to have an alcholic drink this evening 27 hrs have passed since i took the tablet, want to triple check as 3 chemists have said its fine to drink

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Metronidazole is an antibiotic drug used to treat bacterial infections. There are some points to bear in mind while on this treatment. Metronidazole is believed to have the ability to block the body's breakdown of alcohol, leading to an accumulation of a substance called acetaldehyde in the bloodstream leading to a disulfiram like reaction. The effects are nausea, vomiting, tachycardia, shortness of breath, intense flushing and headache.
Although there has been little in the way of published pharmacological evidence to support this interaction with alcohol, I would suggest that you avoid alcohol for at least 72 hours after completing the treatment with metronidazole.

Questions related to Infections

Dermatitis Skin condition

As I know ingrown hairs is an skin infection known as Staphylococcus etc, and would a person be able to eventually cu...

What to do about my toilet spill situation....

I need to tell you a little story. I was at my brothers the other night. I used his toilet and it overflowed. I got t...

What should I do after a toilet spill? See my d...

Soreness, redness and swelling as a result of a...

I had an IV in my arm that was removed on Thursday August 15th. The area hurts now. It is puffy and a little red. Wha...

Yellow discharge 2 weeks after surgery

Hi I had torsion surgery 2 weeks ago today and where the incision is there is some yellow puss is this a sign of i...

Severe toothache with Bad infecton!!!

I have severe toothache pain. I have an infection and the whole left side of my check and jaw are swollen. The pain i...

I NEED ANSWERS PLEASE!

I am 17 yeas old and i have been sexually active for a few months now but i stopped. i realized every time i had sex ...

Skin Condition, Thigh

First question, so here goes. I'm a tall guy, 6ft4 and all seats are too small for me, so when I sit, I end up wit...

This is the first time I ever felt like this af...

Please don't judge. I self harmed about 3 days ago and got stitches. The day I got back I felt fine but the next day ...

After H. Pylori Eradication

If a stool antigen test for H Pylori is completed 3 days after finishing antibiotics, is it accurate or can it be a f...

Infected tattoo its swollen very red and sore.

I got a tattoo on thursday, its swollen, red all around it and now its swollen up on my wrist. its very sore. i need ...

Do I have a resistant infection?

Nurse, never take antibiotics until sick forever believe most infections are viral. Had sore throat three weeks fina...

Infection causng body odor

Hello, I've been having a foul odor coming form scalp,nose,in between thighs and vagina along with some vaginal itchi...

Sore white spots on bottom of tongue

I have noticed that as the afternoon went on my tongue started t o feel sore in a couple spots well late this afterno...

Popped zit leaves hard black swollen spot under...

I break out on occasion (not often but I am OCD and tend to try to get rid of any imperfections I spot without being ...

"Help me" What should i do?? ESR is ...

I m suffering from fever from last 5 days. Today my doctor took my blood test and its details are : Haemoglobin -- 1...

Infection in lungs- Cough

My Son 2 yr old suffering from cough. Doctor first prescribed antibiotic Amoxicillin and Claulanate suspention bid. S...

genital pinworm treatment

My sister has been diagnosed with an acute pinworm infection that is also affecting the vagina, what is the best trea...

Lip Infection

i bite my lip a lot and about 3 days ago i noticed swelling and discoloration. Today there is a sticky substance on m...

Finger cut

I have a small deep cut on the tip of my middle finger and i want to know ways to heal it at home. The cut doesn't lo...

Penile Infection?

Hello my name in hunter and I've been very concerned about an issue going on with what I believe to be a Type of infe...

My piercing is  lodged beneath the sur...

Five years ago I got dermal piercings on my hips. When the piercer was putting them in, he lost a piece of the pierci...

Is there an over the counter alternative for Zi...

Is there any over the counter medicine like zithromax?

Vaginal Irritation

"My vagina is burning but I'm still peeing normally!? I am using Mens Body Wash+Shampoo. Could that cause irrit...

Rabies Vaccine

I got a pre-exposure complete vaccination for Rabies 8 months back. However, 2 months back i was again scratched by a...

Post Your Thoughts