Question :

Elevated CK levels - What further tests would you recommend?

What are the most common reasons for elevated CK levels? My CK test are etremely elevated. My doctor has check heart and kidney. What test would you recommend to assist in determining the cause?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Creatine kinase (CK) is found in the heart, brain and skeletal muscles. An elevated CK levels may indicate an injury or stress to these following structures. CK test is very non-specific and elevated levels may be seen with heart attack, inflammation of the heart muscles (myocarditis), muscular injuries, dermatomyositis and polymyositis and brain injury or stroke.
You may request your doctor to do specific isoenzyme test such as CK-MM (for muscular injury), CK-BB (for brain) and CK-MB (for cardiac injury). You have also mentioned that you are a diabetic and on insulin and metformin. There is also a probability that the diabetic medication is causing your elevated creatinine kinase levels, which needs to be evaluated by your doctor. Use of beta blockers may help during the initial stages of rise in creatine kinase levels.

Questions related to Men's Health

Severe anus itch(above and below)

I have an embarrassing question to ask. I have been almost too embarrassed to ask my doctor about it. for the last ye...

Injured Vas Deferens; 4 year injury

In the sixth grade, i got in a school fight and i got kneed in the balls. Several years have passed and ever since th...

Advice on products that cure or alleviate Liche...

I am a 48 year old male.I have had lichen sclerosis for about 15 years. I have seen specialist, but not recently. Lat...

Circumcision Dried Blood

I just got circumcised a while ago (5-10 days ago) and I've gotten a dry blood ring that's on the stitches on my peni...

Mixing Medications Together

My son has been prescribed by a couple of different doctors Hydrobromide 40 mg (Not sure of the dosage); Lithium 300 ...

Is drinking 4 red bulls everyday not good for you?

I was wondering if it is okay to drink 3-4 red bull energy drinks daily. I really like them and find that they give m...

Left Leg lack of strength

My boyfriend woke up two days ago complaining that his left leg from the knee down felt like it was asleep. It has no...

Is drinking 2 cups of green tea daily help with...

Is drinking 2 cups of green tea a day okay for you? I heard that it is one component that helps with weight loss?

Low testosterone levels in a 34 year old active...

I think I have low testosterone levels. What is the best way to have the testosterone levels checked? I am a 34 year ...

pain and numbness

I have a lump on my arm on same side of my body where I previously 2yrs ago where I had clot from picline that is get...

I have black lines on my fingernails, what coul...

i have several thin black lines under both thumb nails,is this something that could need immediate attention?

Gynecomastia

Hello. Since my teenage years, I've had problem with male breasts. Even as a healthy athlete in school, I suffered wi...

How long till I can drink after a varicocelectomy

My doctor said I shouldn't drink alcohol for a whole year after my varicocelectomy. Is that how long you should norma...

Is this male infertility?

Single 45 yr old male. Intercourse 2-3 times a week. No constant partner (age 20 - 27 yrs old females). My sex drive ...

Is my nose broken or will it be fine on it's own

Went to a concert Monday got hit good in the nose got a cut and started bleeding. Been putting ice on it and taking i...

Nausea, diarrhea and low sex drive

What would make a male feel tired nausaed dizzy dirraha and low sex drive... For three weeks

Throbbing sensation under left rib cage

My boyfriend has a throbbing sensation under his left rib cage. He showed no symptoms until after we had sex and he w...

Discoloration in large toenails

Is the discoloration in my large toenails of something that I should be concerned about?

Electrician

Doc, I have a hard pea sized lump on the top middle of my right testicle. I have noticed this for just over a month. ...

Nose Bleeds

Hey everybody I'm David,17 years old, experiencing a lot of nosebleeds like 8 in 48 hours & I don't know what is ...

Swollen and Sensitive Right Nipple

Hello, I am a fairly healthy 16 year old male. I have the condition pectus excavatum, so my chest area looks odd, alt...

Excessive masturbation

Hello, i am a 17 year old male and has been masturbaring for around 5 years. I am currently masturbating around 1 ti...

Shaking arm and feeling faint after driving

Sometimes after driving when I have been driving for a while when I stop and get out of the car I feel a little fain...

Ejaculate after a Bowel Movement

Hello, my 1st condition when going the toilet for a poo i found myself passing large amounts of sperm this was while...

Swollen Left Testicle. Is It Serious?

I am a 25 year old guy with left swollen testicle for past 12 years.the size of my left testicle is almost four time...

Testicle Pain - Any ideas Before consulting a D...

My left testicle has been sitting higher than normal and occasionally gets sucked into my body causing sharp pain. I...

Is it safe to drink Green tea even if I have ep...

Is it safe to drink Green tea even if I have epididymitis?

Feels like tubes and lumps in left scrotum

Hello, I am in my early twenties. I have recently found something else in my scrotum. It hangs down at the back of m...

Pain around right nipple in chest

I'm a 29 year old male. I'm 5'11" and weigh 145 pounds. I'm in fairly decent shape. Yesterday my right nipple are...

Low testosterone for a young man?

Hello, I am a 25 year old man who has had no major health problems throughout my life. However recently i have not...

Use of alcohol with antibiotic (Doxycycline)

I've just been given a 2 week course of Doxycycline, which i obviously want to start and finish as soon as possible....

Blood in urine after Workout

I went to the gym and did an intense leg workout. A few hours later when I urinated, there was what seemed to be a b...

Natural Low Testosterone Treatment

I have been diagnosed with low testosterone and whated to know if there are any treatments that don't require applyi...

Discomfort in testicles, Do I need Medication?

Hi i had a sore right testicle 4 days ago then sore left testicle two ddays later Theyr both not sore to touch nowbu...

Could Paxil (anti-depressant) be the cause of b...

Dr, I am embarressed to be asking this question but I will anyways. i am a 56 yo male in good shape. My problem; Abo...

Inside nose pain due to folliculitis

I have very bad pain on the right inside of my nose. It is just the right side not the left, it feels like there is ...

Information About Gynecomastia In Adolescent

I have come to a conclusion that I am suffering from gynecomastia I have done a bit of research on it but I would lik...

Vaccination for Travel, what should I do?

I am 50yrs old. Family was in Army, went to Germany twice and Hawaii once before I was 8 yrs old. Lots of immunizati...

What are all the parts of an abdominal exam?

What are all the parts of an abdominal exam and will I have to take off any cloths besides my shirt during the exam?

Protruding belly button

I am a 52 year old male and about 6 months ago I noticed the top portion of my belly button was proturding. What cau...

Husband has Stomach problems and tiredness

My husband has had problems with his stomach lately. Every morning he gets up he is sick to his stomach. He has no a...

Cortisone on penis, permanent side effects?

Dry, red, thin skin on penis, maybe some rosacea after long cortisone treatment with locoid 0.1 hydrocortisone 17 b...

Red blisters in Penis due to STDs?

I am 16 years old and i had unprotected sex with a female about 2 weeks before, she said she was clean and had no ST...

Effect of high temperatures on testicles

What's the effect of high temperature on the testicles,and is it permanent?

What to do in a case of Testicular Trauma

Earlier this year I got hit in the testicles and was in considerable pain. After week the pain subsided. But now I h...

How far should my foreskin retract when erect?

Hi I get embarrassed asking my doctor about this so hope this will help. I can retract my foreskin fully when not ...

Testicle pain after physical activity

My 14 year old son was stretching and turning his lower back this morning and got a pain in his lower left back. the...

Effects of vyvanse after urination

When taking vyvanse, after i urinate, i tend to experience semen come out like a second or two after i finish urinat...

Miserable with on off feelings of all over chills

I am suffering blurred vision and a feeling of extreme cold through my body as if my nerves are tingling and freezin...

Chances for Varicocele to reoccur?

I've had a varicocele, had the surgery to get rid of it because of pain (scar on pubic area), but still have a small...

Post Your Thoughts