Question :

Do I have Low T Levels???

I am a 28 year old male. My T count came back at 288. Im always rundown and tired, have a low sex drive, and was just diagnosed with Gynecomastia, I think this is from Low T or out of wack hormones. My Doc says my T count is in the normal range. She said Normal is from 170 or so to 700. Everyting else I have read says the normal rage is from 300 to 1000. Since Im only 28 shouldnt my count be higher? I asked if the normal range was for my age group and she said no there are no age groups, everyone is in the same group. There for, I dont think this range would be very accurate or fair that a 28 year old male is in the same group as an 80 year old man. A 28 year old male should definitely have a higher count than someone who would be in there 50 or older. Also even if I am in the average range Im pretty close to the low part of that than the higher part. Also, my father was diagnosed with low testosterone 5 years ago or so and is on testosterone gel. Any help or suggestions?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Testosterone fluctuates considerably even from day to day. Stress, lack of sleep and many other daily activities of life can also affect testosterone levels. Levels may peak in the morning and then steadily decline until late evening. Usually most labs have a normal reference range 240 to 827 ng/dl, however different labs may show different results. T levels do vary with age, but fall within the above reference range. Although your T level may fall within the normal reference range, you may have symptoms if your body is unable to function normally at those levels. You may then, need treatment for the control of symptoms and to improve quality of life. Thus if you feel normal with no obvious symptoms or any effects on quality of life, that particular level of testosterone may be normal for you, and may not need correction. Normal T levels may vary for each individual. As you have mentioned feeling rundown, tired and low sex drive, gynecomastia, you may discuss these symptoms with your doctor for treatment. If symptoms do not improve, reference to a specialist, an endocrinologist, if possible would help further evaluation and diagnosis of the condition.

Questions related to Men's Health

Is my 4 inch penis(erect) as a 14 year old norm...

Is 4 inches penis size too small for a 14 years old? Is it normal? Will it grow to my dream size which is 7 inches or...

Small cluster of very hard lumps under the skin...

Hello, on the base to the left of my penis there's a small cluster of extremely hard, irregular shaped things under t...

Missing appendix that has not been removed

Are there any reason why an appendix would not show up on an abdominal CT scan?

Is it possible to ejaculate without realizing i...

I am a 38 year old male that has just had sex for the first time. My questions are: Is it possible for a male to ejac...

Severe anus itch(above and below)

I have an embarrassing question to ask. I have been almost too embarrassed to ask my doctor about it. for the last ye...

Injured Vas Deferens; 4 year injury

In the sixth grade, i got in a school fight and i got kneed in the balls. Several years have passed and ever since th...

Advice on products that cure or alleviate Liche...

I am a 48 year old male.I have had lichen sclerosis for about 15 years. I have seen specialist, but not recently. Lat...

Circumcision Dried Blood

I just got circumcised a while ago (5-10 days ago) and I've gotten a dry blood ring that's on the stitches on my peni...

Mixing Medications Together

My son has been prescribed by a couple of different doctors Hydrobromide 40 mg (Not sure of the dosage); Lithium 300 ...

Is drinking 4 red bulls everyday not good for you?

I was wondering if it is okay to drink 3-4 red bull energy drinks daily. I really like them and find that they give m...

Left Leg lack of strength

My boyfriend woke up two days ago complaining that his left leg from the knee down felt like it was asleep. It has no...

Is drinking 2 cups of green tea daily help with...

Is drinking 2 cups of green tea a day okay for you? I heard that it is one component that helps with weight loss?

Low testosterone levels in a 34 year old active...

I think I have low testosterone levels. What is the best way to have the testosterone levels checked? I am a 34 year ...

pain and numbness

I have a lump on my arm on same side of my body where I previously 2yrs ago where I had clot from picline that is get...

I have black lines on my fingernails, what coul...

i have several thin black lines under both thumb nails,is this something that could need immediate attention?

Gynecomastia

Hello. Since my teenage years, I've had problem with male breasts. Even as a healthy athlete in school, I suffered wi...

How long till I can drink after a varicocelectomy

My doctor said I shouldn't drink alcohol for a whole year after my varicocelectomy. Is that how long you should norma...

Is this male infertility?

Single 45 yr old male. Intercourse 2-3 times a week. No constant partner (age 20 - 27 yrs old females). My sex drive ...

Is my nose broken or will it be fine on it's own

Went to a concert Monday got hit good in the nose got a cut and started bleeding. Been putting ice on it and taking i...

Nausea, diarrhea and low sex drive

What would make a male feel tired nausaed dizzy dirraha and low sex drive... For three weeks

Throbbing sensation under left rib cage

My boyfriend has a throbbing sensation under his left rib cage. He showed no symptoms until after we had sex and he w...

Discoloration in large toenails

Is the discoloration in my large toenails of something that I should be concerned about?

Electrician

Doc, I have a hard pea sized lump on the top middle of my right testicle. I have noticed this for just over a month. ...

Nose Bleeds

Hey everybody I'm David,17 years old, experiencing a lot of nosebleeds like 8 in 48 hours & I don't know what is ...

Swollen and Sensitive Right Nipple

Hello, I am a fairly healthy 16 year old male. I have the condition pectus excavatum, so my chest area looks odd, alt...

Post Your Thoughts