Am I Schizophrenic or Depressed?

Dear Ask The Doctor:  Hi,i am a 19 year old female.i've struggled alot through my life from various things happening such as parents divorce, bullying, etc aswell as a range of health problems such as depresion, ADD, chronic fatigue resulting from severe glandular fever, hypothyroidism and a few other things. so its tough enough dealing with that,but ive had most of it treated and i know that something else is wrong in my head. ive done a fair bit of research over the last couple of years and it always kind of leads to schizoprenia. these are reasons why: - when asked or questioned by any mental health doctors i've seen i lie about whats going on in my head and act like im normal in fear of being institutionalised. - i have always been shy and felt disconnected in social situations as if i am sitting in my head watching and listening - i have alot of trouble maintaining friendships. i dont have trouble making friends because i look appealing and im friendly, but i always end up losing friends becasue i stop acting normal after a while because its hard - i have been depressed for years, had many violent thoughts and thoughts of suicide. - i've self harmed alot cutting, burning my skin, punching things, hitting my head on things and taking lots of pills. - i have an alcohol problem and drink alot - i sometimes react wrongly in situations ie, laughing at something which is sad - im sometimes manipulative with others to get what i want - i have spent alot of time alone over the past 10 years instead of being with friends because i prefered it - i've always felt disconnected from the world as if its all a dream and im sitting in my head watching - i have trouble with speech and sometimes muddle up words, talk with gaps between words, have really undetailed empty answers as i cant think of what to say on the spot. - i usually have alot of false positive beliefs about myself - i sometimes act as if im a toddler and say made up words - i have poor heigine habbits - i have terrible eating habbits - i feel very unstable and vulnerable when im away from home for more than a few days - ive always been unable to express affection to my family who i love more than anyone - i spend alot of time when im by myself pacing around a room imagining possible real life scenareos in my head.in the situations i imagine myself in i partially say the words and do the physical gestures i would do if it were happening. ill imagine that people are there and im interacting with them. when i do this im able to feel emotions and such as if it were actually happening. i do this almost every day. i dropped out of school mid year 11 because i couldnt cope with anything, and sat in my room alone for 6 months, then went back to school the next year repeated year 11 and tried to restart my life. it went quite well for a while. but year 12 i lost a fair amount of friends, missed alot of school, only just passed a few subjects. its been 5 months since school ended and i havent got a job or done anything ive just been at home, doing social things very rarely and i spend days on end in bed because i dont feel like doing anything. what is wrong with me? i dont feel normal at all. life is such as effort

Dear Patient:  In my opinion, your symptoms may be associated with major depression or schizophrenia, that would best be diagnosed by a psychiatrist, following a proper psychological examination. However, a healthy diet including vegetables, fresh fruits, fish, eggs, meat and dairy products, along with proper hygiene and daily exercise would be beneficial for a healthy life and also provide energy and enthusiasm in life. Meditation, yoga and aerobics may help reduce stress and make you feel better.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: