Question :

Am I Schizophrenic or Depressed?

Hi,i am a 19 year old female.i've struggled alot through my life from various things happening such as parents divorce, bullying, etc aswell as a range of health problems such as depresion, ADD, chronic fatigue resulting from severe glandular fever, hypothyroidism and a few other things. so its tough enough dealing with that,but ive had most of it treated and i know that something else is wrong in my head. ive done a fair bit of research over the last couple of years and it always kind of leads to schizoprenia. these are reasons why: - when asked or questioned by any mental health doctors i've seen i lie about whats going on in my head and act like im normal in fear of being institutionalised. - i have always been shy and felt disconnected in social situations as if i am sitting in my head watching and listening - i have alot of trouble maintaining friendships. i dont have trouble making friends because i look appealing and im friendly, but i always end up losing friends becasue i stop acting normal after a while because its hard - i have been depressed for years, had many violent thoughts and thoughts of suicide. - i've self harmed alot cutting, burning my skin, punching things, hitting my head on things and taking lots of pills. - i have an alcohol problem and drink alot - i sometimes react wrongly in situations ie, laughing at something which is sad - im sometimes manipulative with others to get what i want - i have spent alot of time alone over the past 10 years instead of being with friends because i prefered it - i've always felt disconnected from the world as if its all a dream and im sitting in my head watching - i have trouble with speech and sometimes muddle up words, talk with gaps between words, have really undetailed empty answers as i cant think of what to say on the spot. - i usually have alot of false positive beliefs about myself - i sometimes act as if im a toddler and say made up words - i have poor heigine habbits - i have terrible eating habbits - i feel very unstable and vulnerable when im away from home for more than a few days - ive always been unable to express affection to my family who i love more than anyone - i spend alot of time when im by myself pacing around a room imagining possible real life scenareos in my head.in the situations i imagine myself in i partially say the words and do the physical gestures i would do if it were happening. ill imagine that people are there and im interacting with them. when i do this im able to feel emotions and such as if it were actually happening. i do this almost every day. i dropped out of school mid year 11 because i couldnt cope with anything, and sat in my room alone for 6 months, then went back to school the next year repeated year 11 and tried to restart my life. it went quite well for a while. but year 12 i lost a fair amount of friends, missed alot of school, only just passed a few subjects. its been 5 months since school ended and i havent got a job or done anything ive just been at home, doing social things very rarely and i spend days on end in bed because i dont feel like doing anything. what is wrong with me? i dont feel normal at all. life is such as effort

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
In my opinion, your symptoms may be associated with major depression or schizophrenia, that would best be diagnosed by a psychiatrist, following a proper psychological examination. However, a healthy diet including vegetables, fresh fruits, fish, eggs, meat and dairy products, along with proper hygiene and daily exercise would be beneficial for a healthy life and also provide energy and enthusiasm in life. Meditation, yoga and aerobics may help reduce stress and make you feel better.

Questions related to Mental Health

Thioridazine availability

I work in a mental/behavioral health clinic and we have a client who has been taking thioridazine for many years. We...

feeling like i am somewhere else

i feel like my surroundings are somewhere i have been before i live in the middle of nowhere and only get to town abo...

Talking to yourself

Hello, Growing up I can always remember my dad muttering and talking to himself. He never realized when he did it ...

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Hi I was wondering that sometimes I repeat things many times such as if I touch something I feel like something's bad...

Self injury

From a psychological professionals point of view , would you be more concerned to hear a patient is cutting or burnin...

Mental issues arised from prolonged computer usage

Health Issues caused by prolonged computer usage?

Sister who is autistic sitting in her own feces

My sister is autistic with mild retardation. She thinks like an 8 yr old. She hurt her knee three yrs ago and stopped...

Do I have a mental disorder?

Hi, im wondering if I have a disorder. I am 16.

What mental disorder does she have?

Since I can remember my mother has always had a terrible rage, which I now believe to be stress caused. She becomes s...

Should I seek help in person?

Hey, I'm 17 years old and I'm just curious to know if I'm 'insane' or have some type of mental illness and should ...

Is there something wrong with me?

I fear that there may be something wrong with my mental health. First of all, I question almost everything. I have b...

What are the Effects of Stopping Risperidone?

Hi i have been on respirodone consta for over three years my doctor has took me of it my injection was due last wedn...

Borderline Personality Disorder medication and ...

I have recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. They want to put me on a combination of medicat...

Temporary Memory Lapse and Treatment

I have been known to have a good memory but offlate I forget things...especially names....I enter a room to do somet...

Symptoms of anxiety and depression

8 months ago i was diagnosed with Anxiety after losing my mum. But for the last few weeks I have been constantly bee...

Not able to concentrate and racing thoughts

Hello doctors, im a real disorganized person, i cant concentrate at all, im 18 and im about to get my ib mocks, i can...

Wife in constant fear

Lately my wife has been consumed with a fear of time (going to fast) and that there is nothing after death. She has ...

Scared and confused - post traumatic stress dis...

I suffer from ptsd I some times hear people talking but theres no one there is that a part of ptsd

Metallic Smell, Taste, and Stool Odor

I have experienced a metallic smell, taste, and stool oder for some time now. It comes and goes depending on the day...

Unable to concentrate at work, what should I do?

I am shanthi, 28 years old, I am working as software programmer, I am having this problem for the past 4 years. Alw...

Am I Depressed and Do I have an Anxiety Problem?

Hi, for quite some time now i've been feeling very low and have lost all interest in doing things which used to be i...

I have overdosed numerous times. Do I have bord...

HI I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISSORDER WHEN I WAS 14 I AM NOW 20 AND BEEN TOLD BY PEOPLE THAT IT W...

I always feel tense and think too much. Should ...

Hello, I feel I am suffering from high-level of anxiety, stress and tension and this is creating a lot of problems...

Going off effexor and method of weaning

I am currently taking 150mg of effexor each day and have been doing so for the past 3 years. After talking to my doc...

Depression and I might have a drinking problem

Dear Doc, Im a 28 year old man. We moved from england to fiji. then fiji to brisbane. I have been in australia for ...

Post Your Thoughts