Question :

I always feel tense and think too much. Should I consult a psychiatrist?

Hello, I feel I am suffering from high-level of anxiety, stress and tension and this is creating a lot of problems in my life every day. Life has become very difficult with it. My mind is never quiet, thinking many things at a time. I feel heaviness in my head all the time, feel exhausted and helpless. I dont have anyone with whom I can talk all these problems. Being in tension makes me see everything in life in a negative way and this puts me in lots of stress. This is happening for last many years and now this problem has become a habit of mine. There is some tension all the time in my mind all the time and many times I am worried and tensed with no reason. I dont know why am I worried and tensed and this is what happens every day. I feel that I have many things sitting and running all the time in my subconscious mind and it never leaves me alone. I am very much tensed about it, stressed all the time, not able to concentrate in my work, or not able to concentrate in any thing I want to do. I feel relaxed only when I am with people, having fun with them and I forget things for a while, but just for a while. Even if I am with people and get some quiet time, m worried again unknown of the reason. My biggest problem is that I think a lot. I think about anything and everything in my life. Anything happens and I keep thinking about it for hours. Now the things have gone so worse that I think a lot for everything and create tension for things which are really not worth it and which i should be worried about. I just want to get rid of this thinking problem as it is creating all of the problems what I feel. Should I consult a psychiatrist? Please suggest me some solutions for my stress, tension and anxiety. Should i go for Meditation or related things. Will it help?? This is not something I though in a day... I am suffering from all this for last few years, but thought of solving it now because this has grown a lot and I know that in coming days i will face some serious health issues if I dont solve this problem soon. I have some family tensions too but I feel that is contributing very less. Its my habit of thinking which makes things looks problematic and I feel worried and tensed. Now, I feel that every tension in my life is interrelated, one helping other to grow. I have no idea how to stop this. Some times when I am tensed a lot or thinking a lot, I see some physical problems too, like bad stomach, trouble in breathing, feels like I will faint, afraid of sleeping as I get kind of electric shock the moment I get the sleep and I wake up immediately with very fast heartbeat. I am always having fast heart rate as I am thinking all the time about many things. I am having problem with my heart as it starts beating fast suddenly making me uncomfortable and uneasy, sweating sometimes. I had a medical test for this reason a few years ago where they did the Holter test and they told me that I have tachycardia. I am almost 27 now and the test was done when I was 24 years old. They told me that its not a problem for the young age like me but it will create problem if this continues and stays when I become almost 30. This heart beat problem has come down a little and I am not seeing it that frequent. But I am worried that if all these problems continue for long and will have severe problems once I cross 30s. I am bit emotion person too. Anything that happens with me which does not make me feel good or if I say something to someone that makes me regret later I keep thinking about it for days. I have done a lot of research on internet and found many things about it but really confused and worried dont know what to do. Please suggest how to stop this thinking problem. Because of all these problems I have made the habit of smoking. I have quit it many times, but when ever this tension comes, I feel like smoking which I doesnt really want to do. Please suggest.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
You do have anxiety issues and you need to talk to a professional about this, a psychologist or psychiatrist. Try to schedule an appointment as soon as possible so interventions can be started promptly. You can also consider trying yoga or meditation techniques to help soothe your mind. Maintaining good sleeping habits will also help a lot with your condition. I would still say try to quit smoking and avoid caffeinated beverages (coffee, pop, tea) because this will increase your heart rate and heighten your anxiety. With your case, you should see your doctor again so you can be reassessed. Thyroid dysfunction can also cause symptoms of depression (feeling helpless), anxiety, etc. I do hope I have appeased your concern and take care always.

Questions related to Mental Health

feeling like i am somewhere else

i feel like my surroundings are somewhere i have been before i live in the middle of nowhere and only get to town abo...

Talking to yourself

Hello, Growing up I can always remember my dad muttering and talking to himself. He never realized when he did it ...

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Hi I was wondering that sometimes I repeat things many times such as if I touch something I feel like something's bad...

Self injury

From a psychological professionals point of view , would you be more concerned to hear a patient is cutting or burnin...

Mental issues arised from prolonged computer usage

Health Issues caused by prolonged computer usage?

Sister who is autistic sitting in her own feces

My sister is autistic with mild retardation. She thinks like an 8 yr old. She hurt her knee three yrs ago and stopped...

Do I have a mental disorder?

Hi, im wondering if I have a disorder. I am 16.

What mental disorder does she have?

Since I can remember my mother has always had a terrible rage, which I now believe to be stress caused. She becomes s...

Should I seek help in person?

Hey, I'm 17 years old and I'm just curious to know if I'm 'insane' or have some type of mental illness and should ...

Is there something wrong with me?

I fear that there may be something wrong with my mental health. First of all, I question almost everything. I have b...

What are the Effects of Stopping Risperidone?

Hi i have been on respirodone consta for over three years my doctor has took me of it my injection was due last wedn...

Borderline Personality Disorder medication and ...

I have recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. They want to put me on a combination of medicat...

Temporary Memory Lapse and Treatment

I have been known to have a good memory but offlate I forget things...especially names....I enter a room to do somet...

Symptoms of anxiety and depression

8 months ago i was diagnosed with Anxiety after losing my mum. But for the last few weeks I have been constantly bee...

Not able to concentrate and racing thoughts

Hello doctors, im a real disorganized person, i cant concentrate at all, im 18 and im about to get my ib mocks, i can...

Wife in constant fear

Lately my wife has been consumed with a fear of time (going to fast) and that there is nothing after death. She has ...

Scared and confused - post traumatic stress dis...

I suffer from ptsd I some times hear people talking but theres no one there is that a part of ptsd

Metallic Smell, Taste, and Stool Odor

I have experienced a metallic smell, taste, and stool oder for some time now. It comes and goes depending on the day...

Unable to concentrate at work, what should I do?

I am shanthi, 28 years old, I am working as software programmer, I am having this problem for the past 4 years. Alw...

Am I Depressed and Do I have an Anxiety Problem?

Hi, for quite some time now i've been feeling very low and have lost all interest in doing things which used to be i...

I have overdosed numerous times. Do I have bord...

HI I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISSORDER WHEN I WAS 14 I AM NOW 20 AND BEEN TOLD BY PEOPLE THAT IT W...

Going off effexor and method of weaning

I am currently taking 150mg of effexor each day and have been doing so for the past 3 years. After talking to my doc...

Depression and I might have a drinking problem

Dear Doc, Im a 28 year old man. We moved from england to fiji. then fiji to brisbane. I have been in australia for ...

Bad Side Effects of Adderall

I have been on adderall for almost a year....I take 20mg at 6am, 25mg at 12...30mg at 3:30 and my last 20mg at 6. I ...

Side effects with Effexor, need to switch

I have been taking Effexor for about 4 years and have a reduced sexual ability. I am female. I have tried to cease b...

Ways to cope with emotional stress

Hi, I am needing to get my sister in law mental health help. Her father died over 2 years ago and she has been drin...

Fibromyalgia and Depression

In 1997 I was working in Dubai as a photocopier technician. I started getting pain in my finger joints and shoulders...

Lexapro for GAD and Depression. Help!

I'm 16 years old and recently got diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and moderate depression. My doctor pu...

How to Improve Memory Retention

For the past week i have been forgetting things like; bringing my work folder to class, bringing in homework, bring ...

Am I Schizophrenic or Depressed?

Hi,i am a 19 year old female.i've struggled alot through my life from various things happening such as parents divor...

Am I going mental : Bipolar disorder?

I am 15, 5"5 and weigh 115lbs. So for the last 2 years I have felt very weird. For 1-2 weeks I feel so insanely ha...

Seroquel (Quetiapine): Pros and Cons

When prescribed seroquel (quetiapine) under the age of 18 years, is it because the patient has schizophrenia or coul...

Suffer from PTSD, Please help.

29 year old female with history of depression, OCD and PTSD from sexual trauma. I can not let my husband near me. I ...

Short-term memory problems

Not sure where to start...since i was about 13 i started having trouble remembering things.and still do..if my kids ...

Needing the help of a 'Mental health profession...

Hello, I am not sure where my question fits, however I hope it fits in with this website... I have been self-harmi...

Mood swings, Going from very happy to extremly ...

Mood swings, going from very happy to extremly angry and aggresive.

Depression? Anxiety? Stress related pains?

I think i may have anxiety depression and perhaps ibs. When i was younger, i had a stomach bug and our family never ...

Protein in the urine in an adult

What causes protein in the urine

Post Your Thoughts