Question :

Electronic Blood pressure vs Manual Blood Pressure show Different Results - Should I be Worried?

Hi i have recently attended my gp in order to go back on the contraceptive pill and my blood pressure was taken using the electronic monitor, my result came back slightly high and as a result my blood pressure was taken a few times. Each time the result came back high however they the doctor also got the nurse to take my blood pressure manually and it came back normal on both occasions. As a precaution the gp sent me home with the 24hr electronic blood pressure monitor and again the results were high ranging between 140over80 and 160over80 and the results have been faxed to the cardiology section at my local hospital. I dont believe i have high blood pressure and think it is the electronic machine that sends my blood pressure high as i get nervous by the noise and the pressure of it! My arm was physically bruised from the 24hour monitor! Do you think i should be concerned seems i had normal readings on the manual blood pressure monitor i am eager to get this sorted quick as i am going on holidays in 5 weeks and really want to be back on the pill in order to skip a period while on holidays. i am 25 years of age slim build with a healthy diet however i do smoke.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I understand your concern. If its accuracy that you're looking for, the manual mercury manometer is the best. There have been some concerns raised as to the accuracy of using monitors other than the (manual) mercury manometer. It is suggested that users of electric and non-mercury monitors have them calibrated at least one to two times a year. One factor likely to account for the BP difference is that most automated BP devices detect oscillations, or movements, of the arterial wall rather than sounds created by blood flow in the artery (manual auscultation of BP) or pressure within the arterial system. In addition, each manufacturer has different algorithms to identify systolic and diastolic pressures in the automated devices. Many of those algorithms do not work properly in the presence of clinical conditions that lead to changes in the arterial wall (athlerosclerosis), hypotension, hypertension or irregular heart beats. Even though BP measured manually is far accurate, it is always best to have the high BP readings measured electronically evaluated by a cardiologist. I wish you well and thanks for your question.

Questions related to Hypertension

hypo and hypertention? 149/59

Hi I'm a 27 year old female whos athletic and eats well. I had a blood pressure of 149/59 and heart rate of 50 at the...

Metoprolol succinate

I take Metoprolol Succinate 50mg however I ran out of my prescription 6 days ago. Is it safe to take Metoprolol Tart...

Prehypertensive

I have a blood pressure of 137/84 with a heart rate of 86 upon waking. I don't smoke, I go to the gym for an hour eve...

blood pressure increase during my sleep

Hello, I’m 65 years old with normal blood pressure at 13/8. I suffer from Tinnitus. I noticed during the last...

Missed 3 days of medication

I'm 27 yrs old, and I missed 3 days of my medication, norvasc 5mg, now my blood pressure is high again. Hanging aroun...

Blood pressure of 80/40. Is this alarming?

I got my blood pressure checked earlier by a medical intern. My BP was 80/40. She tried taking my BP again but it was...

Does Prehypertension cause Erectile dysfunction?

Hello, i am a 20 year old male.recently my bp has risen to a range of 139,94 and around 141,93.i believe this is a c...

Can I stop taking high blood pressure medications?

If u are on high blood pressure meds for 20yrs. can u be taken off competely without being winged off?

Erectal Malfunction due to ACE inhibitors

I have been using Ramipril 10mg for over 5 years, now my Doctor change the medication to Amlodipine 10mg, due to fac...

Carotid arteries - What are the treatment options?

I reecently had an ultra sound on my carotid arteries and calcium plaque build up was found on the left and right ca...

What are the measures I can take to reduce my b...

I hav high BP its 140 and 90...pls tell me how to reduce it ....

Sinus and ear infections effects on blood pressure

Can a sinus and ear infection raise your blood pressure?

I exercise regularly but my BP is high. What co...

I had been feeling tight chested and some mild chest pain and anxiety over the past few days so I had my blood press...

How to optimize blood pressure control

I've had border line hypertension for quite a while. I'm a trck driver and couldn't pass my d o t pysical because m...

Is there a need to change BP meds after gallbla...

Hello Doctor Thanks for the services. my mother just got operated with gallstones, gallbladder is removed. she is...

Why do I have high BP, lose weight even if I ea...

Hello. I am a 20yr old female with a recently high blood pressure and pulse rate. My blood pressure is usually aroun...

What is the BP value that is considered an emer...

My husband has high blood pressure and is on 5 kinds of meds. The queston is sometimes (even if he is just sitting) ...

Hypertension and High Altitude Utrarunning

I am a 37 year old marathon running female. Hypertension runs in my family. I have just begun medication to treat my...

Coversyl and increased frequency of urination

Can taking Coversyl 4mg day increase the urge and frequency of urination?

Blood Pressure control issues.

My wife has high blood pressure and has for about four years. Her bp recently has stayed around 160over120. She is c...

Salt and High Blood Pressure

Hi, My husband is trying to lower his high blood pressure by cutting his salt intake and other non-doctor related me...

High blood pressure in young adults

I'm 24 years old male, I'm 5'8 and I weight 162 pounds and I have high blood pressure and I been taking pills since ...

Haven't had High Blood Pressure Before

I went to the dr 6-7-2011 my blood pressure was 167-170 I havent had high blood pressure before and had no symtoms....

Hypertension in 26-year-old marathon runner

My 26-year-old daughter, who eats well and runs marathons, has very high blood pressure. She is resistant to taking...

Question about the dosage of water pill

Is it safe to take 25mg of Hydrochlothiazide in one day? Separate doses

Post Your Thoughts