Question :

Is Azithromycin the Same as Clarithromycin?

Is the medicine azithromycin the same thing as medicine clarithromycin? do they have the same effects? And are they safe while im pregent?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I realize your concern about antibiotics in pregnancy. Both of the antibiotics that you mentioned are from the same family, both are Macrolides. Both have effect on almost the same type of infections and work similarly.
However Azitromycin is considered a type B drug in pregnancy states, this means that there is no known association with birth defects or other pregnancy-related complication and the drug is probably safe.
Clarithromycin falls into category C meaning that either there isn't enough information or there are some concerns arising from animal studies, but no confirmation of problems like birth defects in humans.
I will suggest you to comply with Azithromycin since it’s safer, if you have any doubt on how to take it, don’t hesitate to ask your physician. I wish you a successful pregnancy.

Questions related to Drugs

Toxicity report reading?

I need help in understanding a autopsy report. My father in law dies from what this says is a heroin overdose. I need...

Questions after steroids use

Hello, I took steroids (testosterone enanthate) for 9 weeks. I have been off for a little over a week and ...

Lump on arm after injecting meth 1 month ago

Hello, i injected meth into my arm about a month ago. I have a bump where i injected almost a month ago and about two...

Bupropion interaction with psilocin/psilocybin

Does Bupropion interact with psilocin/psilocybin (from psychedelic mushrooms)?

Quitting Diovan Cold Turkey

Can I stop taking Diovan cold turkey?

Overdose, 200mg of Vyvanse

Hi im a 14 year old 87 lbs female and i took 200 mg of vyvanse. I'm starting to feel a little weird but I'm not sure ...

Side effects

im taking Tylenol with codinie and it makes me itchy is that normal side effect

Side effects of clobex

what are some of the side effects of Clobex?

Bad High

I was trying to drink a glass of milk to calm down the bad high I was experiencing, when all of a sudden all my muscl...

Took to many of my anxiety medication.

I am prescribed .5mg of alprazolam, one tablet daily as needed. I am having a bad anxiety attack and took 3 at once. ...

Lexapro and Asiprin drug interactions

I took two 325mg aspirins at 6pm. 4 hours later I took one 10mg lexapro at 10pm. Am I at risk?

Methamphetamine - Urgent help needed!

About 6 months ago, I snorted .3mg of pure methamphetamine in a matter of an hour or two. I've had a history of amphe...

i have failed a drug test and test positive for...

I was just notified today that i have failed a drug test and test positive for Benzodiazpine specifically temazepine....

Rosacea Medication

Is it safe to use Metronadizole Vaginal 0.75% Gel instead of Metronadizole Topical 0.75% Gel for Rosacea since there ...

Drug resistant strains of bacteria

True or False Do any drug resistant strains of bacteria require any other special precautions other than your standar...

10 panel hair drug test

If on 5/1/14 a 190 pound man age 22 with short hair takes one 30 mg Adderall and does not use any other drugs will i...

Grow taller pills

are there pills that can increase my height am 5 7 but i feel short

Tramadol causing breathing to be harder than no...

Hello i've taken 2 and 1/2 50mg Tramadol, one at 6 at night and one at 10 and a half at 12, i feel okay but breathing...

Able to alter antibiotics in a high school scie...

I am a high school student, I was wondering if you are able to alter antibiotics in a high school science lab?

mdma whilst taking fluoxetine

I have recently been diagnosed with depression and been prescribed 20mg fluoxetine daily. If I was to take mdma (stup...

question about interactions

Hello, I am still on Diazepam (10mg / a day) and I need Lithium Orotate as fast as possible. Is it safe to combine ...

Is my previous drug abuse causing me to be depr...

Last semester I developed a drug addiction to stimulates. Basically anything I could get my hands on but mainly adde...

Fluconazole and MDMA?

Someone I'm acquainted with took 150 mg of Fluconazole for a yeast infection. They were going to a rave this Saturda...

How long does 1 cocodamol tablet take to leave ...

How long does 1 cocodamol tablet take to leave the system

DNA Drug Test for Antidepressants and Sedatives

Hello. According to side effects (which I still have) and health condition I have some doubts that I was drugged wi...

Post Your Thoughts