Question :

False Positive drug test for cocaine

Are ther any medications that would effect the outcome of a drug test. I have never taken any illegal drugs and i take many random drug tests for work and my last tese was positive for cocain and i am wondering if any of the many medications i take can effect the test.thankyou

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
If done correctly, drug testing for cocaine is pretty accurate. Most drug tests that check for cocaine look for benzoylecgonine, a product of the body's metabolism of the drug. That said, some medications and medical conditions can sometimes trigger a false positive for cocaine. These include:

Amoxicillin
Topical anesthetics derived from cocaine (does not include lidocaine or novocaine)
Liver disease
Kidney disease
Diabetes

I would suggest that you speak to your doctor if you are suffering from any of the above mentioned issues.

Questions related to Drugs

Toxicity report reading?

I need help in understanding a autopsy report. My father in law dies from what this says is a heroin overdose. I need...

Questions after steroids use

Hello, I took steroids (testosterone enanthate) for 9 weeks. I have been off for a little over a week and ...

Lump on arm after injecting meth 1 month ago

Hello, i injected meth into my arm about a month ago. I have a bump where i injected almost a month ago and about two...

Bupropion interaction with psilocin/psilocybin

Does Bupropion interact with psilocin/psilocybin (from psychedelic mushrooms)?

Overdose, 200mg of Vyvanse

Hi im a 14 year old 87 lbs female and i took 200 mg of vyvanse. I'm starting to feel a little weird but I'm not sure ...

Side effects

im taking Tylenol with codinie and it makes me itchy is that normal side effect

Side effects of clobex

what are some of the side effects of Clobex?

Bad High

I was trying to drink a glass of milk to calm down the bad high I was experiencing, when all of a sudden all my muscl...

Took to many of my anxiety medication.

I am prescribed .5mg of alprazolam, one tablet daily as needed. I am having a bad anxiety attack and took 3 at once. ...

Lexapro and Asiprin drug interactions

I took two 325mg aspirins at 6pm. 4 hours later I took one 10mg lexapro at 10pm. Am I at risk?

Methamphetamine - Urgent help needed!

About 6 months ago, I snorted .3mg of pure methamphetamine in a matter of an hour or two. I've had a history of amphe...

i have failed a drug test and test positive for...

I was just notified today that i have failed a drug test and test positive for Benzodiazpine specifically temazepine....

Rosacea Medication

Is it safe to use Metronadizole Vaginal 0.75% Gel instead of Metronadizole Topical 0.75% Gel for Rosacea since there ...

Drug resistant strains of bacteria

True or False Do any drug resistant strains of bacteria require any other special precautions other than your standar...

10 panel hair drug test

If on 5/1/14 a 190 pound man age 22 with short hair takes one 30 mg Adderall and does not use any other drugs will i...

Grow taller pills

are there pills that can increase my height am 5 7 but i feel short

Tramadol causing breathing to be harder than no...

Hello i've taken 2 and 1/2 50mg Tramadol, one at 6 at night and one at 10 and a half at 12, i feel okay but breathing...

Able to alter antibiotics in a high school scie...

I am a high school student, I was wondering if you are able to alter antibiotics in a high school science lab?

question about interactions

Hello, I am still on Diazepam (10mg / a day) and I need Lithium Orotate as fast as possible. Is it safe to combine ...

Is my previous drug abuse causing me to be depr...

Last semester I developed a drug addiction to stimulates. Basically anything I could get my hands on but mainly adde...

How long does 1 cocodamol tablet take to leave ...

How long does 1 cocodamol tablet take to leave the system

DNA Drug Test for Antidepressants and Sedatives

Hello. According to side effects (which I still have) and health condition I have some doubts that I was drugged wi...

How quick can marijuana be out of your system.

How quick can marijuana stay in your system? We have had a drug urine test given my a doctor five days after that wa...

Second hand marijuana smoke and Drug Testing fo...

I dont do drugs, my boyfriend smokes marijuana and im always in another room but i can smell it, we have unprotected...

Paxil And Effects Of Withdrawal

I am taking an antidepressant called Paxil. I've been taking it for one day. I got really sick and experienced a lot...

DHC continus prolonged release tablets

I have been taking DHC contius 60mg one per day, for two years now they have cured me of alcohol addiction and anxie...

Medication side effects

I have been taking clarithromycin 500mgs, omeprazole 20mg, and amoxicillin to treat H-pylori 9 days ago. 6 days aft...

Drug allergic reaction to promethazine

My 5 year old son took only one dose for his bad cough and had an allergic reaction to the medicine and dr told us t...

Tatoo with hypertensive medication

I am on Plavix 75MG, Lovastatin 40MG, Metoprolol Tar 25MG, Lisinopril 2.5MG, Fenofibrate Micronized 134MG, Aspirin 3...

Vitamins B12 injections and oral supplement

I went to the Dr for lightheadedness and I found out that my B12 levels are low (around 380) and my Dr prescribed B1...

Taking Adavan with Sertraline

I have been taking Adavan for anxiety, I was recently given given new medication which should be more effective. I w...

Use of Clonidine In Children

Hi me exgirlfriend has just started giving my 2 year old son Catapres 100 (Clonidine HCI) half a tablet a day and wa...

Can I stop taking mirtazapine suddenly?

What are the side after stopping mirtazapine?

Pain in the arm and back waiting for MRI

I have pain in my arm and back the doctor gave me three medicans to take becausee i told him i dont want any surgier...

Treated with oral steroids for acute tendinitis...

I was treated with oral steroids for acute tendinitis in my shoulder. (I have allergic reaction to anti-inflammatori...

Questions about Ecabet Sodium?

Dear doctors, I was prescribed with Ecabet sodium today for the treatment of gastritis. There seems to be very li...

Taking multiple drugs for pain and now Morphine

I've been taking tramadol, voltarol, gabapentin, dehydracodiene and paracetamol, amitriptyline, and occassionally di...

Over The Counter Testosterone Replacement

Can any over the counter or herbal supplememt really replace or restore testosterone levels

Problems with the analgesic dosage

I have been prescribed and taking?ms. Contin. For 10 yrs, the last two of which I have been prescribed by the same D...

How long before the effects of Xanax start?

When you first start taking xanax, how long befor you see results to know if it is working?

Drugs interaction and worsening of asthma

So I've recently been put on a bunch of meds and i don't think it is is safe. I'm diagonessed anxiety and depression...

Can bactrim and nyquil interact with each other...

Is it safe for me to take bactrim and nyquil together?

Drug testing - false positive test for cocaine.

I took a urinalysis for a drug test and the test came back positive for cocaine. i dont use cocaine in any anyway so...

Overdose

Am i safe to go to sleep last night i took a zopiclone then through the night by accident i took at least three bu...

Side Effects of Too much Pradaxa?

I am a 34 year old athletic female and I have been on pradaxa for about 12 days now. I was prescribed 150mg 2 times ...

Accidentally took medication (Suboxone)

I have been taking suboxone strips and i ran out and not able to go back to get more this month. I got a pill from m...

Bouts of feeling cold - could it be due to medi...

I have had an issue of not being able to stay warm even though it is not cold inside or outside. My feet and hands ...

Eye swelling after taking mucinex

I started taking mucinex 2 days ago. this morning i woke up and , my eyes are swollen. i stopped taking mucinex , an...

High blood pressure and anti histamine

(possible duplicate) Can I use a nasal decongestant or anti histamine if my high blood pressure is under control wi...

Aleve and hydrocodone with ibuprofin

I took 2 aleve about 2 hours ago, I have some hydrocodone with ibuprofin I take for bad headaches. Can I take the hy...

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: If you know you haven't done anything, if you have never come up positive before, I would make a big fuss about it and demand a new test right then and there, it is very unlikely you come up falsely positive twice.