Question :

Taking multiple drugs for pain and now Morphine

I've been taking tramadol, voltarol, gabapentin, dehydracodiene and paracetamol, amitriptyline, and occassionally diazepam, to control the pain and muscle spasms caused by sciatica (I have a spinal fracture and 2 herniated discs). My GP has today changed that prescription to morphine. He told me to start taking this tomorrow morning but I forgot to ask how long to leave between taking the last of my current medications and starting the morphine, and the surgery is now closed. What time can I safely take the last dose of my current tablets before starting the morphine when I get up at around 8am tomorrow? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Morphine is a narcotic pain medication for the management of moderate to severe pain when a continuous, around-the-clock opioid painkiller is needed for an extended period of time. Morphine has the potential for dependence and abuse and can cause severe adverse effects including respiratory depression and even death if not taken according to your doctor's directions, especially if you have conditions that can cause you to become oxygen depleted. It is NOT intended for use on an as-needed basis. Use Morphine exactly the way your doctor tells you to, and it should only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed. Depending on your condition and medical history, your doctor may prescribe a different regimen and appropriate dosage. Do not change the dosage or stop taking your medication without your doctor's approval. Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, tell your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking this drug. Side effects may include: constipation, lightheadedness, dizziness, lethargy, nausea, vomiting, sweating, euphoria, negative mood changes. Your doctor provider may also recommend a "rescue" medication (a short-acting painkiller) to use in addition to Morphine for times when your pain is especially severe (known as "breakthrough pain," because it breaks through your baseline, long-acting painkiller). You should discuss with your doctor about the possible interactions with the multiple medications that you are already taken and adjust the dosage or review if it is convenient for you to keep taking some of them along with the morphine.

Questions related to Drugs

Toxicity report reading?

I need help in understanding a autopsy report. My father in law dies from what this says is a heroin overdose. I need...

Questions after steroids use

Hello, I took steroids (testosterone enanthate) for 9 weeks. I have been off for a little over a week and ...

Lump on arm after injecting meth 1 month ago

Hello, i injected meth into my arm about a month ago. I have a bump where i injected almost a month ago and about two...

Bupropion interaction with psilocin/psilocybin

Does Bupropion interact with psilocin/psilocybin (from psychedelic mushrooms)?

Quitting Diovan Cold Turkey

Can I stop taking Diovan cold turkey?

Overdose, 200mg of Vyvanse

Hi im a 14 year old 87 lbs female and i took 200 mg of vyvanse. I'm starting to feel a little weird but I'm not sure ...

Side effects

im taking Tylenol with codinie and it makes me itchy is that normal side effect

Side effects of clobex

what are some of the side effects of Clobex?

Bad High

I was trying to drink a glass of milk to calm down the bad high I was experiencing, when all of a sudden all my muscl...

Took to many of my anxiety medication.

I am prescribed .5mg of alprazolam, one tablet daily as needed. I am having a bad anxiety attack and took 3 at once. ...

Lexapro and Asiprin drug interactions

I took two 325mg aspirins at 6pm. 4 hours later I took one 10mg lexapro at 10pm. Am I at risk?

Methamphetamine - Urgent help needed!

About 6 months ago, I snorted .3mg of pure methamphetamine in a matter of an hour or two. I've had a history of amphe...

i have failed a drug test and test positive for...

I was just notified today that i have failed a drug test and test positive for Benzodiazpine specifically temazepine....

Rosacea Medication

Is it safe to use Metronadizole Vaginal 0.75% Gel instead of Metronadizole Topical 0.75% Gel for Rosacea since there ...

Drug resistant strains of bacteria

True or False Do any drug resistant strains of bacteria require any other special precautions other than your standar...

10 panel hair drug test

If on 5/1/14 a 190 pound man age 22 with short hair takes one 30 mg Adderall and does not use any other drugs will i...

Grow taller pills

are there pills that can increase my height am 5 7 but i feel short

Tramadol causing breathing to be harder than no...

Hello i've taken 2 and 1/2 50mg Tramadol, one at 6 at night and one at 10 and a half at 12, i feel okay but breathing...

Able to alter antibiotics in a high school scie...

I am a high school student, I was wondering if you are able to alter antibiotics in a high school science lab?

mdma whilst taking fluoxetine

I have recently been diagnosed with depression and been prescribed 20mg fluoxetine daily. If I was to take mdma (stup...

question about interactions

Hello, I am still on Diazepam (10mg / a day) and I need Lithium Orotate as fast as possible. Is it safe to combine ...

Is my previous drug abuse causing me to be depr...

Last semester I developed a drug addiction to stimulates. Basically anything I could get my hands on but mainly adde...

How long does 1 cocodamol tablet take to leave ...

How long does 1 cocodamol tablet take to leave the system

DNA Drug Test for Antidepressants and Sedatives

Hello. According to side effects (which I still have) and health condition I have some doubts that I was drugged wi...

How quick can marijuana be out of your system.

How quick can marijuana stay in your system? We have had a drug urine test given my a doctor five days after that wa...

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: I have been taking 30 mg 4 times a day for 3 years. A new Doctor is taking me off it spite all my problems, my back is broken in 4 places, chronic spinal stenos es, and chronic arthritis of pelvis and hip. My Body can not adjust. I have been reduced to 1/4 the dose with hydrocodone.
I have side effects. days without sleep, stomach cramps, irregular bowel movements. I have been taking 2 times the reduction to feel a bit better. What to do?