Question :

My Feet Hurt When I Wear Flats Shoes

Why would it be that wearing flat shoes (sneakers, flats, slightly raised platforms, etc) would make my feet hurt, specifically my heels and the back of my calves, but when i wear high heels i have no pain? People always say that wearing high heels are supposed to hurt your feet, but they actually make me feel better because i do not have the sharp pain in my calves and left knee or the dull pain in my heels that i get from wearing flats. I have been wearing sneakers or flats for most of my life, it is only been the last year that i have started to wear high heels, mostly stilettos, and that my foot pain has gone away. However, when i wear the sneakers or flats, the pain is still here. Also my heels are highly calloused, and have been since at least the age of 15 (i am 27 now)...

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Which is produced by inflammation of the insertion on the heel of the plantar fascia (a fibrous layer that supports the plantar arch muscles and ligaments), causing remarkable heel and arch pain that alters your normal daily activities.  Initially the pain tends to decrease with walking but gets worse throughout the day as activity increases. The pain worsens by walking barefoot on hard surfaces or walking up stairs.
The causes of are: aging, heel fat pad thinning, too low-arched or too high arched foot, weakness of the calf muscles, leg-length discrepancy, walking or running with inappropriate shoe type on poor cushioned surfaces, a change in the walking or running routine. In your case wearing high heels could have caused retraction of the plantar fascia, and now when you wear flat shoes the stretching of the fascia is what hurts.
The suggested strategy to treat conservatively would be: physical therapy aimed to stretch the muscles of the calf and foot, using ice packs after the exercise routine to decrease inflammation and pain, relative rest (avoiding activities that reproduce the heel pain), use of anti inflammatory drugs (example: “”) and replacement of worn-out shoes by adequately cushioned shoes.

Questions related to Knee Pain

Side effects from cortisone shot

Past hx 2 knee surg now 80 to 90% cartilage gone and arthritis..tore my meniscus 2 wks ago..had cortisol injection an...

Foot pain and tenderness

Recently I started playing football. Ever since it has hurt quite badly to turn my foot inwards. This problem is affe...

Mystiouse knee pain, swelling and brusing

About 5 days ago I got leg cramps at night, not realizing then that the cramps only came from my left leg and my righ...

Knees hurt when crouch

Hello i am 16 and male in the past week my knee has been hurting when ever i put weight on it it hurts right under th...

Best way to solve cartilage problem in right knee

I have had bad pain in my right knee for over 2 years now. I am missing 70% cartilage in my knee and I have trouble s...

Pain in my knees. Multiple symptoms. Suggestion?

For a couple years now every once in a blue moon my knee would kind of lock up for a few seconds. A real painful feel...

Knee pain and large lump

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and an ex gymnast, and now do trampolining a few times a week. 4 months ago I was diagn...

Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Hi. Whenever I start to do anything physical, I get extreme pain in my knees near my patellas. Sometimes I can rub th...

Bump on inside of left knee

I had an arthroscopic meniscus repair done on my left knee about a year ago. There is a bump the size of a half dolla...

Hurting when unbending

I got into a horrific car accident and I'm not sure of my knee is sprained or not. The hospital did X-rays and all th...

Nerve damage in knee

I believe I have nerve damage in my knee from falling on it twice. There's numbness and a burning sensation in my leg...

Knee joint pain around patella in Left Knee

what is wrong with my left knee if i can feel a difference in i guess you could say muscle but I'm not sure if it is ...

Locking knee issue

I'm feeling an awkwardness to my knee, like when i try to stand my good leg locks fine and is fully extended but i ca...

Knee pains

When injuring a knee , is it possible for you to re injure it ? Also , I want to know why everytime I extend my knee ...

knee with no cartilage

my 91 year old mother does not have any cartilage in her knee, the doctor said she cannot handle a knee replacement ...

Constant Discomfort and Weakness in Right Knee

About 6 months ago I started doing minor gardening work, which frequently involved kneeling down in stones and I fool...

Numbness in foot but knee pain gone down

I've had a problem with my knee recently but the pain has dulled down but now my foot has a feeling of numbness what ...

knee and leg pain repeatedly

do i need to go hospital?

Pain in lower back and hips after motorcycle ac...

I was in a motorcycle accident last montb 3/20/2014. Er said everything was ok. I started physical therapy for my bac...

Pain and swelling in knee

well my knee was been swollen for over a week now and i tried everything ice and rest and elevation and medicine . Th...

Swollen Knee w/pain and fluid

My knee is swollen and hurts. I didnot fall or injure the knee and no spider bites that I can see. Seems to have f...

Knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and...

knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and lower back and to my feet.

knee pain after auto accident

I have been going to physical therapy for almost 9months after a car accident. I hit the inside of my right knee on t...

Knee locking

I tend to lock my knees when I stand or as some may say " stand back on my legs." I just recently got a job...

why is my knee hurting

Why is the backside of my knee hurting

Post Your Thoughts