Question :

Knee pain after hill walking

I am training to take part in a 3 peaks challenge in 10 weeks, but towards the end of a long walk, my knee started to hurt, but only when putting pressure on it. The pain lasts the longest at the back of my knee but can get pain at the sides too. It was a little swollen and hot immediately after but I rested it with ice and it was fine after a day or two. Is this going to become a recurring problem during my training and the event, and what can I do to lessen the pain after exercise?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome in young and active people. The pain typically is located behind the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (ei, during squats, ascending/descending stairs or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms "theatre sign" and "movie-goer's knee." The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint.
The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), education of the patient so  he/she understands which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome. Also, and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. Your physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program Allow time for these conservative measures take the desire effect.

Questions related to Knee Pain

Foot pain and tenderness

Recently I started playing football. Ever since it has hurt quite badly to turn my foot inwards. This problem is affe...

Mystiouse knee pain, swelling and brusing

About 5 days ago I got leg cramps at night, not realizing then that the cramps only came from my left leg and my righ...

Knees hurt when crouch

Hello i am 16 and male in the past week my knee has been hurting when ever i put weight on it it hurts right under th...

Best way to solve cartilage problem in right knee

I have had bad pain in my right knee for over 2 years now. I am missing 70% cartilage in my knee and I have trouble s...

Pain in my knees. Multiple symptoms. Suggestion?

For a couple years now every once in a blue moon my knee would kind of lock up for a few seconds. A real painful feel...

Knee pain and large lump

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and an ex gymnast, and now do trampolining a few times a week. 4 months ago I was diagn...

Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Hi. Whenever I start to do anything physical, I get extreme pain in my knees near my patellas. Sometimes I can rub th...

Bump on inside of left knee

I had an arthroscopic meniscus repair done on my left knee about a year ago. There is a bump the size of a half dolla...

Hurting when unbending

I got into a horrific car accident and I'm not sure of my knee is sprained or not. The hospital did X-rays and all th...

Nerve damage in knee

I believe I have nerve damage in my knee from falling on it twice. There's numbness and a burning sensation in my leg...

Knee joint pain around patella in Left Knee

what is wrong with my left knee if i can feel a difference in i guess you could say muscle but I'm not sure if it is ...

Locking knee issue

I'm feeling an awkwardness to my knee, like when i try to stand my good leg locks fine and is fully extended but i ca...

Knee pains

When injuring a knee , is it possible for you to re injure it ? Also , I want to know why everytime I extend my knee ...

knee with no cartilage

my 91 year old mother does not have any cartilage in her knee, the doctor said she cannot handle a knee replacement ...

Constant Discomfort and Weakness in Right Knee

About 6 months ago I started doing minor gardening work, which frequently involved kneeling down in stones and I fool...

Numbness in foot but knee pain gone down

I've had a problem with my knee recently but the pain has dulled down but now my foot has a feeling of numbness what ...

knee and leg pain repeatedly

do i need to go hospital?

Pain in lower back and hips after motorcycle ac...

I was in a motorcycle accident last montb 3/20/2014. Er said everything was ok. I started physical therapy for my bac...

Pain and swelling in knee

well my knee was been swollen for over a week now and i tried everything ice and rest and elevation and medicine . Th...

Swollen Knee w/pain and fluid

My knee is swollen and hurts. I didnot fall or injure the knee and no spider bites that I can see. Seems to have f...

Knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and...

knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and lower back and to my feet.

knee pain after auto accident

I have been going to physical therapy for almost 9months after a car accident. I hit the inside of my right knee on t...

Knee locking

I tend to lock my knees when I stand or as some may say " stand back on my legs." I just recently got a job...

why is my knee hurting

Why is the backside of my knee hurting

Nerve transfer operation

If I would to have a nerve transfer operation , will I be able to run again or brisk walk? If so how long will the r...

Knee popped and now previous pain is gone

My friend who is a 38 year old woman had pain in her knee behind the knee cap when kneeling and slight swelling that...

Leg pain below the knees in the shins.

I go to bed at night fine but whenever I wake my legs pain allday long they are fine and as soon as I get up in the ...

Painful "lump" under left knee

Under my left knee i have a "lump". it's not really a lump of any sort my bones just juts out under my left knee, bu...

Pain in both knees when sitting on feet at yoga...

Experiencing pain (moderate to severe) and swelling (mild) in both knees; cannot bend either knee without pain and s...

Knee pain when undergoing ultrasound heat therapy

I saw a knee specialist for knee pain, and I was diagnosed with patellar subluxation on my right knee. Since, I hav...

Knee pain post arthroscopy

I had arthoscopic knee surgery 2-3-12 for a torn meniscis and I have osteoarthitis. I could walk before the surgery...

Knee MRI results after twisting three months ago

I had an MRI on my knee. I twisted my knee carrying furniture down a stairs 3 months ago. The MRI impression state...

Pain and swelling around the knee cap

I am trying to find out if I should get my knee checked out. It swells up and causes problems. Basically it starts u...

What kind of knee injury is this?

What could this injury be? I was doing squats and felt a minor pain in my left knee cap. After a few minutes the pa...

Knee and foot strain after slipping from a hill

Monday i was standing sideways on a hill when i slipped and twisted my left knee, when i caught myself, i twisted my...

Possible meniscus lesion associated to MCL spra...

I suffered a knee injury nearly five months ago when my knee collapsed inwards playing football I visited the MIU an...

Meniscus tear grade one recovery time

Hello sir,while going for normal running .. my left knee started paining. MRI SCAN suggested 1.GRADE 1 SIGNAL INVOL...

Knee pain all around the knee

I am 40 yrs old, been having pain all around left knee for about 2 weeks now, pain starts on both sides, as it gets ...

Carpet installer with knee pain

My right knee keeps clicking in and out for two weeks.i can walk but it is throbbing on the inside.it feels out of p...

Acute patella subluxation pushed back in

My knee cap dislocated and I pushed it back in. Should I go to the ER?

Flexion limitation after repair surgery for fra...

Had knee surgery 8 months ago,broke my right patella,been in physio for 8 months and excersise at home and I still c...

What are the symptoms of a Baker's Cyst?

I was just told lastnight at the emergency room I have a bakers cyst on the back of left knee and tonight my leg fro...

Knee pain with previous history of Ligament repair

I had a knee ligament operation last August/September and was told my knee was graded as a 3 with 4 being the worst,...

MRI Finding a Meniscus tear

My 17 year old son injured his knee about 5 weeks ago, we had an mri done as a cash patient. Could you please tell m...

Knee pain episodes at night

Ever since I was young I've suffered from knee pain at night. As a kid my parents atttibuted it to growing pains how...

Knee pain after falling from stairs

I fell down two flights of concrete stairs and landed on my knees. It hurts to walk and bend my legs I think it migh...

Knee pain after long time of sitting in a bus

My both the knees pain when I travel in a bus overnight (about 6 hours at a stretch). When I try to move my legs aft...

Knee pain while sitting, standing, going up or ...

Hello, I have had awful knee pain in both knees for over 6 months now. There is also some inflammation behind the kn...

Pain started in the foot and now is in the knee

Foot pain started mid December. With elevation, rest etc. foot is still tender, but better. Trouble is that it has c...

Young woman dealing with knee pain

I am 26 years old and since I was around the age of 18 I have had knee pain. Over the years my knees started making ...

Post Your Thoughts