Question :

Suprapatellar Fat Pad impingement: a Cause of Knee pain

I have knee pain. MRI report shows suprapatelar fat pad impingement and clinical corrolation sugested. what are the clinical corrolations?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 Anterior knee pain has a number of underlying causes, including: Quadriceps and Patellar tendon  tear and degeneration;  Chondromalacia patella (a.k.a: patella femoral syndrome), and abnormalities of the infrapatellar  or suprapatellar fat pad have also been described  . Each of these abnormalities can be assessed and diagnosed on MR images.  They mean by “clinical correlations”  if that particular imaging finding is related or “correlated “with symptoms as pain, swelling, limitation or other knee abnormalities and findings in the patient's history and at physical examination. Treatment is usually conservative, is not difficult, although it can take a long time to fully recover. The superior pole of the patella may be taped or bandaged, so that the inferior patella imposes less mass effect on the underlying intra-articular fat. Modifying activities that increase pain is important. Stretching the quadriceps and hip flexor muscles may help to lessen some of the downward pressure the patella applies to the fat pad. Anti-inflammatory medication may be used to control pain and swelling. Injections of corticosteroids to reduce inflammation or surgery to trim the fat pad sometimes are required

Questions related to Knee Pain

I have bad knees. What can I do to help them?

I am missing almost 90 percent cartilage in my knee. What can I do to solve it.

Side effects from cortisone shot

Past hx 2 knee surg now 80 to 90% cartilage gone and arthritis..tore my meniscus 2 wks ago..had cortisol injection an...

Foot pain and tenderness

Recently I started playing football. Ever since it has hurt quite badly to turn my foot inwards. This problem is affe...

Mystiouse knee pain, swelling and brusing

About 5 days ago I got leg cramps at night, not realizing then that the cramps only came from my left leg and my righ...

Knees hurt when crouch

Hello i am 16 and male in the past week my knee has been hurting when ever i put weight on it it hurts right under th...

Best way to solve cartilage problem in right knee

I have had bad pain in my right knee for over 2 years now. I am missing 70% cartilage in my knee and I have trouble s...

Pain in my knees. Multiple symptoms. Suggestion?

For a couple years now every once in a blue moon my knee would kind of lock up for a few seconds. A real painful feel...

Knee pain and large lump

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and an ex gymnast, and now do trampolining a few times a week. 4 months ago I was diagn...

Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Hi. Whenever I start to do anything physical, I get extreme pain in my knees near my patellas. Sometimes I can rub th...

Bump on inside of left knee

I had an arthroscopic meniscus repair done on my left knee about a year ago. There is a bump the size of a half dolla...

Hurting when unbending

I got into a horrific car accident and I'm not sure of my knee is sprained or not. The hospital did X-rays and all th...

Nerve damage in knee

I believe I have nerve damage in my knee from falling on it twice. There's numbness and a burning sensation in my leg...

Knee joint pain around patella in Left Knee

what is wrong with my left knee if i can feel a difference in i guess you could say muscle but I'm not sure if it is ...

Locking knee issue

I'm feeling an awkwardness to my knee, like when i try to stand my good leg locks fine and is fully extended but i ca...

Knee pains

When injuring a knee , is it possible for you to re injure it ? Also , I want to know why everytime I extend my knee ...

knee with no cartilage

my 91 year old mother does not have any cartilage in her knee, the doctor said she cannot handle a knee replacement ...

Constant Discomfort and Weakness in Right Knee

About 6 months ago I started doing minor gardening work, which frequently involved kneeling down in stones and I fool...

Numbness in foot but knee pain gone down

I've had a problem with my knee recently but the pain has dulled down but now my foot has a feeling of numbness what ...

knee and leg pain repeatedly

do i need to go hospital?

Pain in lower back and hips after motorcycle ac...

I was in a motorcycle accident last montb 3/20/2014. Er said everything was ok. I started physical therapy for my bac...

Pain and swelling in knee

well my knee was been swollen for over a week now and i tried everything ice and rest and elevation and medicine . Th...

Swollen Knee w/pain and fluid

My knee is swollen and hurts. I didnot fall or injure the knee and no spider bites that I can see. Seems to have f...

Knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and...

knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and lower back and to my feet.

knee pain after auto accident

I have been going to physical therapy for almost 9months after a car accident. I hit the inside of my right knee on t...

Knee locking

I tend to lock my knees when I stand or as some may say " stand back on my legs." I just recently got a job...

Post Your Thoughts