Knee Pain after 4 years replacement

Dear Ask The Doctor:  My mother has had bilateral knee replacements. It has been four years since her surgery and she is in pain if she is on her legs too much.She has Ice packs that fit around her knee but they only dull the pain. My question is, Is there a knee massager or warming wrap that I could get her that would help her soothe the pain?

Dear Patient:  After a knee replacement is very important have followed a proper physical therapy program, keep the weight under control and do not over stress the knee joints. If these measures are followed in most of the cases a total knee replacement can last 10 years or more before thinking in new replacement.  First of all, make sure that your mother is not overweight; secondly try to alternate warm with cold packs. I suggest an evaluation by her doctor to make sure that the pain is not caused from slippage and wear of the replacement and discuss the benefit from some physical therapy sessions aimed basically to help her control pain and inflammation.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: