Question :

Grade 1 meniscus tear with knee ligaments intact.

Hi I'm 27 male 150 pounds injured my knee very badly this was two months ago did rest for two months and got physical therapy ultra sound and tens and ice did it for 20 days pain is gone but when doctor did a MC Murray's knee test it really hurt when he did a flexion and the skin becomes very tight and shinny and same with If I do more than two repetitions of leg extension I feel pain in center of the joint line and a Clicking sound and I cannot eve pick up a pillow it really hurts in center of joint line and if I walk on a sloped floor I feel pain and quads muscles are very weak I can feel my thigh bone some time my foots two fingers sticks together I have stopped physical therapy all this means this injury in not heal I will and I have stooped workouts for two months I be very very grateful if you can help me Thank you My MRI report says High intensity signal is seen in supracondylar region and upper end of tibia in stir coronal images appears subtle low signal in t 1 weighted images suggestive of bone bruise. mild joint effusion is noted. intact anterior cruciate ligament , posterior cruciate ligament and collateral ligament subtle high intenisty signal in the posterior horn of medial meniscus suggestive of grad 1 tear.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 The McMurray test is positive because you have a meniscus injury, confirmed by MRI, which also shows a mild bursitis (joint effusion) secondary to the initial injury and integrity of the knee ligaments. The menisci are C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia ones. The thick outline of menisci allows for a firm attachment to the joint capsule. An indicator of menisci lesion is a click or snaps after the joint unlocks, it may be or not associated with pain. A sensation of giving way may occur when the loose fragment becomes lodged for a moment in the knee joint, causing a sense of buckling. Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the menisci periphery. Successful recovery from a menisci tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. Most of grade 1 menisci tears tend to heal spontaneously. I strongly recommend you keep doing exercises to strengthen your quads

Questions related to Knee Pain

I have bad knees. What can I do to help them?

I am missing almost 90 percent cartilage in my knee. What can I do to solve it.

Pain in knee after hard impact

Hello Doctor! Yesterday at soccer practice I accidentally ran into a bench at full speed, and hit y kneecap on a corn...

Side effects from cortisone shot

Past hx 2 knee surg now 80 to 90% cartilage gone and arthritis..tore my meniscus 2 wks ago..had cortisol injection an...

Foot pain and tenderness

Recently I started playing football. Ever since it has hurt quite badly to turn my foot inwards. This problem is affe...

Mystiouse knee pain, swelling and brusing

About 5 days ago I got leg cramps at night, not realizing then that the cramps only came from my left leg and my righ...

Knees hurt when crouch

Hello i am 16 and male in the past week my knee has been hurting when ever i put weight on it it hurts right under th...

Best way to solve cartilage problem in right knee

I have had bad pain in my right knee for over 2 years now. I am missing 70% cartilage in my knee and I have trouble s...

Pain in my knees. Multiple symptoms. Suggestion?

For a couple years now every once in a blue moon my knee would kind of lock up for a few seconds. A real painful feel...

Knee pain and large lump

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and an ex gymnast, and now do trampolining a few times a week. 4 months ago I was diagn...

Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Hi. Whenever I start to do anything physical, I get extreme pain in my knees near my patellas. Sometimes I can rub th...

Bump on inside of left knee

I had an arthroscopic meniscus repair done on my left knee about a year ago. There is a bump the size of a half dolla...

Hurting when unbending

I got into a horrific car accident and I'm not sure of my knee is sprained or not. The hospital did X-rays and all th...

Nerve damage in knee

I believe I have nerve damage in my knee from falling on it twice. There's numbness and a burning sensation in my leg...

Knee joint pain around patella in Left Knee

what is wrong with my left knee if i can feel a difference in i guess you could say muscle but I'm not sure if it is ...

Locking knee issue

I'm feeling an awkwardness to my knee, like when i try to stand my good leg locks fine and is fully extended but i ca...

Knee pains

When injuring a knee , is it possible for you to re injure it ? Also , I want to know why everytime I extend my knee ...

knee with no cartilage

my 91 year old mother does not have any cartilage in her knee, the doctor said she cannot handle a knee replacement ...

Constant Discomfort and Weakness in Right Knee

About 6 months ago I started doing minor gardening work, which frequently involved kneeling down in stones and I fool...

Numbness in foot but knee pain gone down

I've had a problem with my knee recently but the pain has dulled down but now my foot has a feeling of numbness what ...

knee and leg pain repeatedly

do i need to go hospital?

Pain in lower back and hips after motorcycle ac...

I was in a motorcycle accident last montb 3/20/2014. Er said everything was ok. I started physical therapy for my bac...

Pain and swelling in knee

well my knee was been swollen for over a week now and i tried everything ice and rest and elevation and medicine . Th...

Swollen Knee w/pain and fluid

My knee is swollen and hurts. I didnot fall or injure the knee and no spider bites that I can see. Seems to have f...

Knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and...

knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and lower back and to my feet.

knee pain after auto accident

I have been going to physical therapy for almost 9months after a car accident. I hit the inside of my right knee on t...

Post Your Thoughts