Question :

Knee that gives out when walking

About two weeks ago my knee has started to give out randomly when walking. When it happens I just kind of collapse onto the other leg. There is no pain in that knee and it has never been injured. The other knee has begun to ache but im assuming its from catching me numerous times over the past few weeks. It has been getting worse and worse especially in the last couple days. For example it has gone from doing it 6 times in one day to over thirty in the matter of about four days. Im scheduled to go see a PT soon but am curious as to what could cause this to start happening out of no where. I am active person and love to be up and moving around. Im at a healthy weight and have no other health issues so whats possibly causing this and causing its to occur so much more frequently?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Acute knee pain and related symptoms may be caused by damage to one or more of the soft tissue structures that stabilize and cushion the knee joint (including the ligaments, muscles, tendons, and menisci). Meniscal injuries are a common problem in sports and in young active individuals; they are the most frequent injury to the knee joint. The menisci are C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia ones. The thick outline of menisci allows for a firm attachment to the joint capsule. A reliable indicator of meniscal lesion is a click or snaps after the joint unlocks, it can be or not associated with pain. A sensation of giving out may occur when the loose fragment becomes lodged for a moment in the knee joint, causing a sense of buckling. This finding should be distinguished from the sensation of giving out due to joint instability (e.g., ACL tear) or buckling secondary to decreased activity of the quadriceps femoris muscle. Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the meniscal periphery. Successful recovery from a meniscal tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. With time the symptoms tend to improve. If there is no significant improvement you should get a clinical (orthopedic surgeon) and Imaging (MRI) evaluation of your knee in order to decide the best treatment option for you.

Questions related to Knee Pain

Side effects from cortisone shot

Past hx 2 knee surg now 80 to 90% cartilage gone and arthritis..tore my meniscus 2 wks ago..had cortisol injection an...

Foot pain and tenderness

Recently I started playing football. Ever since it has hurt quite badly to turn my foot inwards. This problem is affe...

Mystiouse knee pain, swelling and brusing

About 5 days ago I got leg cramps at night, not realizing then that the cramps only came from my left leg and my righ...

Knees hurt when crouch

Hello i am 16 and male in the past week my knee has been hurting when ever i put weight on it it hurts right under th...

Best way to solve cartilage problem in right knee

I have had bad pain in my right knee for over 2 years now. I am missing 70% cartilage in my knee and I have trouble s...

Pain in my knees. Multiple symptoms. Suggestion?

For a couple years now every once in a blue moon my knee would kind of lock up for a few seconds. A real painful feel...

Knee pain and large lump

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and an ex gymnast, and now do trampolining a few times a week. 4 months ago I was diagn...

Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Hi. Whenever I start to do anything physical, I get extreme pain in my knees near my patellas. Sometimes I can rub th...

Bump on inside of left knee

I had an arthroscopic meniscus repair done on my left knee about a year ago. There is a bump the size of a half dolla...

Hurting when unbending

I got into a horrific car accident and I'm not sure of my knee is sprained or not. The hospital did X-rays and all th...

Nerve damage in knee

I believe I have nerve damage in my knee from falling on it twice. There's numbness and a burning sensation in my leg...

Knee joint pain around patella in Left Knee

what is wrong with my left knee if i can feel a difference in i guess you could say muscle but I'm not sure if it is ...

Locking knee issue

I'm feeling an awkwardness to my knee, like when i try to stand my good leg locks fine and is fully extended but i ca...

Knee pains

When injuring a knee , is it possible for you to re injure it ? Also , I want to know why everytime I extend my knee ...

knee with no cartilage

my 91 year old mother does not have any cartilage in her knee, the doctor said she cannot handle a knee replacement ...

Constant Discomfort and Weakness in Right Knee

About 6 months ago I started doing minor gardening work, which frequently involved kneeling down in stones and I fool...

Numbness in foot but knee pain gone down

I've had a problem with my knee recently but the pain has dulled down but now my foot has a feeling of numbness what ...

knee and leg pain repeatedly

do i need to go hospital?

Pain in lower back and hips after motorcycle ac...

I was in a motorcycle accident last montb 3/20/2014. Er said everything was ok. I started physical therapy for my bac...

Pain and swelling in knee

well my knee was been swollen for over a week now and i tried everything ice and rest and elevation and medicine . Th...

Swollen Knee w/pain and fluid

My knee is swollen and hurts. I didnot fall or injure the knee and no spider bites that I can see. Seems to have f...

Knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and...

knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and lower back and to my feet.

knee pain after auto accident

I have been going to physical therapy for almost 9months after a car accident. I hit the inside of my right knee on t...

Knee locking

I tend to lock my knees when I stand or as some may say " stand back on my legs." I just recently got a job...

why is my knee hurting

Why is the backside of my knee hurting

Post Your Thoughts