Question :

Pain and tightness in the knee and numb foot

My knee hurts and feels tight like im stretching it. I also have constant numbness on the left side of my left foot. It has been going on for over 3 week. What could it be?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
According to your description, most likely you may have a Patellofemoral Syndrome, which basically is an unbalanced muscle pull that produced excessive pressure or leverage forces on the knee joint surfaces. The pain typically is located behind, underneath the kneecap and often shows during activities that require prolonged knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (e.g, during squats, ascending/descending stairs or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms "theatre sign" and "movie-goer's knee." The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint. The suggested strategy should be: strengthening and stretching the main muscle of the thigh: quadriceps, to restore the muscle balance around the knee joint, for this is indicated physical therapy for 6 to 8 weeks, using ice packs at the end of the exercise routine to decrease pain and swelling. The use of soft knee braces helps to control patella position and restrict full knee flexion which is good to ease the pain. Also, and very important, you have to stretch the hamstring muscles and the activities or sports that require frequent squatting must be avoided until the pain is under control. Regarding of the numbness on the left side of your foot , maybe a nerve root impingement and/or inflammation might be causing neurologic symptoms in the area that is supplied by the affected nerve root, in your case the left foot. I suggest an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon if the numbness progresses or persists.

Questions related to Knee Pain

I have bad knees. What can I do to help them?

I am missing almost 90 percent cartilage in my knee. What can I do to solve it.

Pain in knee after hard impact

Hello Doctor! Yesterday at soccer practice I accidentally ran into a bench at full speed, and hit y kneecap on a corn...

Side effects from cortisone shot

Past hx 2 knee surg now 80 to 90% cartilage gone and arthritis..tore my meniscus 2 wks ago..had cortisol injection an...

Foot pain and tenderness

Recently I started playing football. Ever since it has hurt quite badly to turn my foot inwards. This problem is affe...

Mystiouse knee pain, swelling and brusing

About 5 days ago I got leg cramps at night, not realizing then that the cramps only came from my left leg and my righ...

Knees hurt when crouch

Hello i am 16 and male in the past week my knee has been hurting when ever i put weight on it it hurts right under th...

Best way to solve cartilage problem in right knee

I have had bad pain in my right knee for over 2 years now. I am missing 70% cartilage in my knee and I have trouble s...

Pain in my knees. Multiple symptoms. Suggestion?

For a couple years now every once in a blue moon my knee would kind of lock up for a few seconds. A real painful feel...

Knee pain and large lump

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and an ex gymnast, and now do trampolining a few times a week. 4 months ago I was diagn...

Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Hi. Whenever I start to do anything physical, I get extreme pain in my knees near my patellas. Sometimes I can rub th...

Bump on inside of left knee

I had an arthroscopic meniscus repair done on my left knee about a year ago. There is a bump the size of a half dolla...

Hurting when unbending

I got into a horrific car accident and I'm not sure of my knee is sprained or not. The hospital did X-rays and all th...

Nerve damage in knee

I believe I have nerve damage in my knee from falling on it twice. There's numbness and a burning sensation in my leg...

Knee joint pain around patella in Left Knee

what is wrong with my left knee if i can feel a difference in i guess you could say muscle but I'm not sure if it is ...

Locking knee issue

I'm feeling an awkwardness to my knee, like when i try to stand my good leg locks fine and is fully extended but i ca...

Knee pains

When injuring a knee , is it possible for you to re injure it ? Also , I want to know why everytime I extend my knee ...

knee with no cartilage

my 91 year old mother does not have any cartilage in her knee, the doctor said she cannot handle a knee replacement ...

Constant Discomfort and Weakness in Right Knee

About 6 months ago I started doing minor gardening work, which frequently involved kneeling down in stones and I fool...

Numbness in foot but knee pain gone down

I've had a problem with my knee recently but the pain has dulled down but now my foot has a feeling of numbness what ...

knee and leg pain repeatedly

do i need to go hospital?

Pain in lower back and hips after motorcycle ac...

I was in a motorcycle accident last montb 3/20/2014. Er said everything was ok. I started physical therapy for my bac...

Pain and swelling in knee

well my knee was been swollen for over a week now and i tried everything ice and rest and elevation and medicine . Th...

Swollen Knee w/pain and fluid

My knee is swollen and hurts. I didnot fall or injure the knee and no spider bites that I can see. Seems to have f...

Knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and...

knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and lower back and to my feet.

knee pain after auto accident

I have been going to physical therapy for almost 9months after a car accident. I hit the inside of my right knee on t...

Post Your Thoughts