Question :

Menisco Capsular Separation: What is it? And what to expect.

I have a question about a diagnosis I was given... A little about me. I am a 26 year old male who is in pretty good shape. I go to the gym daily. On November 27, 2009 I had a real bad fall and twisted my knee real good. I wasn't able to move my knee for a week it had swollen pretty good and hurt to move or bend it. On Jan 5, 2010 I went to see an ortho surgeon about it since it hadn't gotten better. I can now walk just fine on it but if I try to run or twist my knee is still hurts. Doc told me to get an MRI. MRI results come back as a meniscocapsular separation with strain through out the medial part of the knee. Jan 20, 2010 See Ortho again, before he comes in the room I hear him talking to someone and hear him say, "meniscocapsular separation." Doc walks into the room and then tells me I have a grade 2 MCL tear??? and to give it another month and it should get better. Well it's now Feb 20, 2010 and nothing has changed, knee still hurts in the same place. Knee pops a lot and if I keep it bent it locks up and I have to "WORK" it back straight. 1- What is a meniscocapsular separation? 2- Is it time to go to a new doctor? 3- I feel I am getting the run around since I have no insurance and I am paying in cash and a college student. Am I lower on the list and is just doesn't want to deal with me? Thanks a bunch, I don't want to keep going back for office visits just to pay $100 to have him tell me come back in another month.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Meniscal injuries are a common problem in sports and in young active individuals; they are the most frequent injury to the knee joint. The menisci are C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia ones. The thick outline of menisci allows for a firm attachment to the joint capsule.
According to your MRI, the lesion is located in your medial (internal, inner part of the knee) meniscus (MM) and the attachment of the MM to the joint capsule is more rigid than that of the Lateral Meniscus (the outer one), making the MM more susceptible to injury and higher stresses. The medial meniscus also acts secondarily to provide anteroposterior stability, and then when an injury occurs there is a greater chance that affects also the Anterior Cruciate ligament (ACL) and/or the Meniscus lateral (ML), this seems to be your particular case: a capsular separacion of the medial meniscus associated with a grade 2 anterior cruciate ligament tear.
The MRI is the most accurate imaging study to diagnose this kind of lesions. It is common the clicking, the locking and the pain in the affected knee.
Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the meniscal periphery. Successful recovery from a meniscal tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. Many meniscal tears heal spontaneously. Also, can be treated with casting depending of the severity of the tear. With time the symptoms can improve.

Questions related to Knee Pain

I have bad knees. What can I do to help them?

I am missing almost 90 percent cartilage in my knee. What can I do to solve it.

Pain in knee after hard impact

Hello Doctor! Yesterday at soccer practice I accidentally ran into a bench at full speed, and hit y kneecap on a corn...

Side effects from cortisone shot

Past hx 2 knee surg now 80 to 90% cartilage gone and arthritis..tore my meniscus 2 wks ago..had cortisol injection an...

Foot pain and tenderness

Recently I started playing football. Ever since it has hurt quite badly to turn my foot inwards. This problem is affe...

Mystiouse knee pain, swelling and brusing

About 5 days ago I got leg cramps at night, not realizing then that the cramps only came from my left leg and my righ...

Knees hurt when crouch

Hello i am 16 and male in the past week my knee has been hurting when ever i put weight on it it hurts right under th...

Best way to solve cartilage problem in right knee

I have had bad pain in my right knee for over 2 years now. I am missing 70% cartilage in my knee and I have trouble s...

Pain in my knees. Multiple symptoms. Suggestion?

For a couple years now every once in a blue moon my knee would kind of lock up for a few seconds. A real painful feel...

Knee pain and large lump

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and an ex gymnast, and now do trampolining a few times a week. 4 months ago I was diagn...

Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Hi. Whenever I start to do anything physical, I get extreme pain in my knees near my patellas. Sometimes I can rub th...

Bump on inside of left knee

I had an arthroscopic meniscus repair done on my left knee about a year ago. There is a bump the size of a half dolla...

Hurting when unbending

I got into a horrific car accident and I'm not sure of my knee is sprained or not. The hospital did X-rays and all th...

Nerve damage in knee

I believe I have nerve damage in my knee from falling on it twice. There's numbness and a burning sensation in my leg...

Knee joint pain around patella in Left Knee

what is wrong with my left knee if i can feel a difference in i guess you could say muscle but I'm not sure if it is ...

Locking knee issue

I'm feeling an awkwardness to my knee, like when i try to stand my good leg locks fine and is fully extended but i ca...

Knee pains

When injuring a knee , is it possible for you to re injure it ? Also , I want to know why everytime I extend my knee ...

knee with no cartilage

my 91 year old mother does not have any cartilage in her knee, the doctor said she cannot handle a knee replacement ...

Constant Discomfort and Weakness in Right Knee

About 6 months ago I started doing minor gardening work, which frequently involved kneeling down in stones and I fool...

Numbness in foot but knee pain gone down

I've had a problem with my knee recently but the pain has dulled down but now my foot has a feeling of numbness what ...

knee and leg pain repeatedly

do i need to go hospital?

Pain in lower back and hips after motorcycle ac...

I was in a motorcycle accident last montb 3/20/2014. Er said everything was ok. I started physical therapy for my bac...

Pain and swelling in knee

well my knee was been swollen for over a week now and i tried everything ice and rest and elevation and medicine . Th...

Swollen Knee w/pain and fluid

My knee is swollen and hurts. I didnot fall or injure the knee and no spider bites that I can see. Seems to have f...

Knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and...

knee pain that gradually travels to my hips and lower back and to my feet.

knee pain after auto accident

I have been going to physical therapy for almost 9months after a car accident. I hit the inside of my right knee on t...

Post Your Thoughts