Question :

Vaginal Ultrasound and Consent Forms

Dear Doctor, I am 41 years old, healthy, non smoking woman. About 6 weeks ago I had my period and the bleeding did not stop, it got worse and worse and the clotting was horrible. It was bad enough that I missed work. My doctor put me a high dose of hormones (estrogen) for 10 days and now the bleeding has stopped. I went for an ultrasound yesterday and was alittle shocked when the woman asked me to consent to a vaginal ultrasound?? I agreed and she did this (which seemed to take forever) but now I am scared to death that maybe she detected cancer or something. Is there any simple reason she did this?? I'm hoping you can ease my mind, I"ve had a lot of work related stress lately and the passing of my dad and I dont need anymore bad news to start 2010. Thank you so much

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The test was likely being done by your doctor to rule out the possibility of cancer or uterine and vaginal masses.
The consent form you signed is common practice in medicine. It is for your protection. It is to make you aware of the most common risks of the procedure you are undertaking so that you may make an informed decision.  This will allow you to decide if you want to proceed with the procedure or not.

Questions related to Menopause

New to HRT and feeling worse, will it settle

I am 45 year old and blood test confirmed my hormone levels were very high indicating post menopausal although i was ...

MRI question. Please help

I'm 16 and I am having an MRI of my abdomen and pelvic area. On the date of the exam I will be on the 5-6th day of my...

No period in 20 months. What should I do?

I have not had a period in 20 months. I now have had breast tenderness, cramps and flow. This is exactly how they u...

Confused about potassium and vitamin D

Why can't I retain potassium and vitamin D?

Very heavy period and blood clots

Last month started my period was really heavy. Tampons not holding to the point of would walk from bathroom to living...

Inconsistant periods

I miss a period one month have next.bn goin on for while.I missed period last month and spotted this month for couple...

Menopause related severe excessive sleeping

I am in terrible physical shape. I weigh about 240 or a bit less. I have back problems and the only exercise i get ...

Painful and Heavy Period after Contraceptive Patch

Well, I got a new birth control, I went from the pill to the patch. I started the patch March 11, I missed my period...

Clear and Watery Vaginal Discharge

Periodically I have a clear vaginal discharge which seems rather heavy at times....what is this??

Spotting after Mirena coil Removal

I had mirena coil removed 4 weeks ago (post menopausal) and have had light bleeding and period cramps for 2 days. Is...

Natural way to treat my menopause

I am having sweats all during the day and night I was wondering if there is a natural way to treat my menopause I do...

Menopause - No Periods in 4 Years

I have not had period in 4 years now I have is this normal?

Excessive Bleeding during a period in Menopause

Hi, I am a 51 year old woman who started a period on 19 February which lasted 7 or 8 days (normal for me). I then h...

Is it early menopause or depression and heartbu...

Hi there. When I started my periods they were never regular. They were really heavy for sometimes up to 8 weeks and...

Early Menopause Family Hsitory

I'm 29 and over the past year my periods have become irregular. I had an exam and pap which was normal. While my mot...

Irregular and heavy periods in a 43 year old fe...

I am 43 years old and I have irregular menstrual. My bleeding are heavy and frequent to the point that I see small g...

Turned 46 and have not had a period for 68 days

Hi, I have just turned 46 and have not had a period for 68 days, I have been tested for pregnancy, menopause, thyroi...

Perimenopause and Menstrual Irregularities

I am 47 yrs old I am premenopause I didn't have a period last month and this month I started over a week ago and it ...

Going through the menopause?

Am I going through the menopause at 41, I'm asking because I recently have started sweating excessively at night and...

Increased Bleeding During Menopause

I've been going thru menapause for 3 years now and for the last two months not had a period now for the last three d...

Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Before Menopause

I am 37 recently my periods have been extremely heavy,lasting longer and my main concern i have been having flu like...

Symptoms Of Hot Hands At Night

Why my hands get very hot at night? I'm 40 years old female.

Irregular periods, Menopausal problem?

Hi doc! I am 50 yrs of age and have been getting my periods regularly still.But last month, (dec 2011) i missed it e...

Increased bleeding during periods. Is this earl...

Im 39 years old and experiencing alot a heavey periods latley with sball but lots of blood clots.Is this normal? I a...

Are Chills a symptom of Menopause?

I am a 52 yr. old female and have just started experiencing hot flashes---no surprise. What is disconserting to me...

Post Your Thoughts