Question :

Bone densitometry: how to interpret the results?

I've had a DEXA test of the lumbar spine demonstrated of 0.957 grams per cent. squared z-score 0.957and I need to know what my scores mean , also T-S of -0.7 . I am 44 yrs old , white female , in mentapause

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) is currently the referred technique for assessing bone mineral density. Bone Mineral Density results are reported as T-scores and Z-scores. T-scores are the number of standard deviations below the mean BMD A T-score of 0 means that the patient has a BMD value equal to the mean for young adults. A T-score of -2.5 means that the patient has a BMD value that is 2.5 standard deviations below the mean. A Z-score is the number of standard deviations below or above the mean BMD value .

: T -score > -1.0 (below the young adult reference range)
: T-score -1.0 to -2.5
T-Score < -2.5

Questions related to Osteoporosis

Should I get a bone density test?

I just would like to know if I should ask my VA doctor for a bone scan, I don't want to ask for something I don't ne...

BMD suggesting osteopenia in a post-menopausal ...

I am a 65 year old lady. I have 3 thoracic vertebrae in my upper back that are misaligned. I have had this condition...

Car accident and osteoporosis?

Can Osteoporosis be triggered or caused by a car accident where an man of 69 years old was rear ended?

Long-term intake of Prednisone

My dad suffers from osteoarthritis in his spine and has been on the steroid Prednisolone (5mg) almost 40 yrs for ast...

Osteoporosis or Osteopenia?

I have a question about DEXA scan results and two different diagnoses. I'm only a 46 year old male and have had a fe...

Back pain: multiple causes

I am 29 years old. I have endometriosis. I had 3 injections of depot lupron at age 22 they lasted 6 months each. Aft...

Osteoporosis and increased fracture risk

I AM A 27YR OLD MALE DIAGNOSED WITH osteoporosis ABT 4 YEARS AGO, I FELL IN WORK AND FRACTURED MY BACK, COULD THIS B...

Recent evidence regarding calcium supplementati...

My wife is currently taking 1500 mg of calcium with vitamin D she's very concerned over the study that stated takig ...

Osteoporosis Compression fracture Treatment

What course of treatment is next after being turned down for kyphoplasty? Had vetebroplasty on t8 and now 7 & 9 ...

Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) recomme...

I took a bone density test and it showed i have osteopenia. They only did my arm and foot for the results. Should I ...

Hyperparathyroidism may lead to osteoporosis

If my parathyrod hormone level is high and my calcium level is high in my blood should I be taking calcium? One of m...

Post Your Thoughts