Question :

Long-term intake of Prednisone

My dad suffers from osteoarthritis in his spine and has been on the steroid Prednisolone (5mg) almost 40 yrs for asthma. He's 75 yrs old now and we're trying to cut down the amount of Prednisolone he takes because of the osteoarthrisits so for the past 1.5 yrs he's been taking the Predisolone every alternate day. For the past 7 days, he's been taking the Prednisolone every 2 days because of his osteoarthritis but his lower back is in a lot of pain. Would this be as a result of this shift in the amount of Prednisolone he's taking and will it improve? As an aside, he takes 2 chewable calcium tablets daily and he takes Alendronic 75mg once a week too.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It is a very well known fact that the sustained use of steroids (as prednisone) may produce osteoporosis, also they are very potent anti inflammatory and help to control pain caused by inflammation or degenerative bone process, it is not recommended suspend all the sudden taking steroids instead they should be tapered progressively, in order to avoid problems with the normal steroid production in the body. Your Dad is receiving treatment for the osteoporosis, meaning: Calcium supplement and Alendronate. I recommend that he may take non steroid anti inflammatory (NSAIDs) medication to relieve the pain if he does not have any contraindication to do so, for example: allergy, peptic ulcer, coagulation problems.

Questions related to Osteoporosis

Should I get a bone density test?

I just would like to know if I should ask my VA doctor for a bone scan, I don't want to ask for something I don't ne...

BMD suggesting osteopenia in a post-menopausal ...

I am a 65 year old lady. I have 3 thoracic vertebrae in my upper back that are misaligned. I have had this condition...

Car accident and osteoporosis?

Can Osteoporosis be triggered or caused by a car accident where an man of 69 years old was rear ended?

Osteoporosis or Osteopenia?

I have a question about DEXA scan results and two different diagnoses. I'm only a 46 year old male and have had a fe...

Back pain: multiple causes

I am 29 years old. I have endometriosis. I had 3 injections of depot lupron at age 22 they lasted 6 months each. Aft...

Bone densitometry: how to interpret the results?

I've had a DEXA test of the lumbar spine demonstrated of 0.957 grams per cent. squared z-score 0.957and I need to kn...

Osteoporosis and increased fracture risk

I AM A 27YR OLD MALE DIAGNOSED WITH osteoporosis ABT 4 YEARS AGO, I FELL IN WORK AND FRACTURED MY BACK, COULD THIS B...

Recent evidence regarding calcium supplementati...

My wife is currently taking 1500 mg of calcium with vitamin D she's very concerned over the study that stated takig ...

Osteoporosis Compression fracture Treatment

What course of treatment is next after being turned down for kyphoplasty? Had vetebroplasty on t8 and now 7 & 9 ...

Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) recomme...

I took a bone density test and it showed i have osteopenia. They only did my arm and foot for the results. Should I ...

Hyperparathyroidism may lead to osteoporosis

If my parathyrod hormone level is high and my calcium level is high in my blood should I be taking calcium? One of m...

Post Your Thoughts