Question :

Car accident and osteoporosis?

Can Osteoporosis be triggered or caused by a car accident where an man of 69 years old was rear ended?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bone mineral density is low and the internal structure of the bones suffers progressive deterioration, which increases the risk of fractures, there are several classifications but usually these are the two main types: Type I (post-menopausal due to lack of estrogen )and Type II (senile due to aging skeleton and calcium deficiency). The car accidents do not trigger osteoporosis, what a car accident may produce is a cervical strain or sprain, by the abrupt acceleration-des acceleration when hit in the rear, called Whiplash injury.

Questions related to Osteoporosis

Should I get a bone density test?

I just would like to know if I should ask my VA doctor for a bone scan, I don't want to ask for something I don't ne...

BMD suggesting osteopenia in a post-menopausal ...

I am a 65 year old lady. I have 3 thoracic vertebrae in my upper back that are misaligned. I have had this condition...

Long-term intake of Prednisone

My dad suffers from osteoarthritis in his spine and has been on the steroid Prednisolone (5mg) almost 40 yrs for ast...

Osteoporosis or Osteopenia?

I have a question about DEXA scan results and two different diagnoses. I'm only a 46 year old male and have had a fe...

Back pain: multiple causes

I am 29 years old. I have endometriosis. I had 3 injections of depot lupron at age 22 they lasted 6 months each. Aft...

Bone densitometry: how to interpret the results?

I've had a DEXA test of the lumbar spine demonstrated of 0.957 grams per cent. squared z-score 0.957and I need to kn...

Osteoporosis and increased fracture risk

I AM A 27YR OLD MALE DIAGNOSED WITH osteoporosis ABT 4 YEARS AGO, I FELL IN WORK AND FRACTURED MY BACK, COULD THIS B...

Recent evidence regarding calcium supplementati...

My wife is currently taking 1500 mg of calcium with vitamin D she's very concerned over the study that stated takig ...

Osteoporosis Compression fracture Treatment

What course of treatment is next after being turned down for kyphoplasty? Had vetebroplasty on t8 and now 7 & 9 ...

Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) recomme...

I took a bone density test and it showed i have osteopenia. They only did my arm and foot for the results. Should I ...

Hyperparathyroidism may lead to osteoporosis

If my parathyrod hormone level is high and my calcium level is high in my blood should I be taking calcium? One of m...

Post Your Thoughts