Question :

Shoulder pain after hearing a popping noise.

I was getting up from the floor where I had been laying and my shoulder kind of popped, It hurt really bad and I was unable to move it for a few seconds, it felt really numb and weak. a few seconds after I could move it but it was still weak, but it kind of went back to normal after a few days with just a little ibuprofen and ice and whatnot. Sometimes it would pop or crack as I used it after that incident. Just now, I was getting out of bed to use the bathroom and it happened again. what is this and do I need to go in to see a doctor, or is it something like a sprain that will go away but I just need to be more careful for a while?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The likely cause of your shoulder pain could be caused by an impinged tendon or nerve, or an injury to the rotator cuff. Usually rest, ice packs and pain-killers are enough to treat the pain. I would advise you to continue what you are doing and if the pain does not subside with these measures, you may have to visit a doctor for a complete physical examination of the shoulder. X-rays may not be helpful in the diagnosis and MRI may be indicated in severe cases of pain.

Questions related to Rotator Cuff Injuries

Soft tissue injuries to the shoulder

A year and a half ago I had a reverse cuff total shoulder replacement surgery done. Last month I tore something in t...

shoulder pain

there is a large full thickness supraspinatus tendon tear into anterior infraspinatus tendon there is up to 3.6 centi...

Risk of arthroscopic surgery in aspirin user of...

My husband is having authscoptic surgery wednesday however he has been on an aspirin regimen for almost 8 yrs. he di...

Shoulder tendinitis receiving right treatment

About a week and a half ago, i was getting pain in my upper right arm. It felt like i pulled a muscle? I didn't feel...

Shoulder pain going down the arm

I have a pain at thop shoulder as well as pain in me left upper arm .there is also painin my nechespecially the left...

Painful shoulder after surgery for a torn rotat...

I had surgery on a tored rotator cuff and bone spurr in 2010 my shoulder hurts more now then before surgery i called...

Pain in the shoulder after a extreme movement

I have pain in my upper arm that started when I heard a pop while putting on my coat. Any idea what it could be?

Air travel after surgery

How soon after rotator cuff surgery (open) can I fly?

Shoulder Dislocation after surgery

Hi I am a 22 year old male. I had shoulder surgery after multiple dislocations about 6 years ago. Since then my shou...

May a fall with your arm in extension cause a r...

Can a fall cause a tear in your shoulder for I fell at work and I try to stop my fall by extending my right arm out.

Shoulder MRI results: Tear of supraespinatus te...

Mri duagosis "full thickeas tear anterior aspect of distal supraspinatus tendon. No evidence of retraction". what tr...

Multiple rotator cuff surgeries

I have had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder two times in one year. It has torn AGAIN. My surgeon has said ...

Torn rotator cuff and Cervical nerve compression

I was injured at work , the doctor diagnosed it as a torn rotator cuff , besides pain in the shoulder , I have pain ...

SLAP TEAR

I have a SLAP tear my right shoulder 1 day is hurt very bad..took about 6 days to fade out...now n then it hurts bad...

Pain in shoulder when running.

So as long as I can remember I get a pain in my right shoulder when I go out jogging. Usually I quite running during...

Rotator cup injury

When the rotator cuff is torn,explain the repair.

Shoulder pain

Should i be hurting a lot 12 weeks after rotator cuff surgery

Rotator Cuff Training: Preventing Lesions

I play baseball mostly year-round. i was curious as to how often i should be working out my rotator cuffs to preven...

Rotator Cuff Injuries: Labrum Tears on MRI

I hurt my shoulder about a month ago thought to be just a strain. as time goes on the pain persists I have been to t...

Should I have surgery to repair my rotator cuff?

An MRI revealed a small tear of my rotator cuff. I am a seventeen year old baseball pitcher. My shoulder has hurt ...

Post Your Thoughts