Question :

How do i know if i have shingles?

How do i know if i have shingles. I am itchy all over i have a rash on my front part of my neck. I thought it was allergies about a month ago my eyes were watery and real itchy been taking alvert for a month now just stopped about 1 1/2 ago and than this happened with the rash on my chest, feels like a burning sensation on my back over the weekend my back was terribly itchy. I had to have my husband itch it for me several times. My husband has never had chicken pox and nothing has happened to him yet so I am wondering if maybe this is just dry skin or something else from the alavert. I bought a box of 72 pills of alavert and have been taking them for a while probably took 40 pills. To say I have real pain no just itchy all over.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I realize how concerned you are about Shingles. According to your description of the events, this does not look like shingles to me. It appears to be Atopic Dermatitis, this diagnosis seems to be more probable due to your history of allergies and the characteristics of your current rash.
This  condition characterize by an itchy rash that might resolve by itself, Corticosteroid creams, wet compresses and avoiding irritants are the cornerstones of most dermatitis treatment plans. To minimize side effects, such as thin skin, and to increase effectiveness, topical corticosteroids are generally used only short-term until rashes are under control. The most important advice is not to scratch, this might cause cracks in your skin and could get infected. I suggest you to continue taking Alavert, use mild soaps, avoid hot water when bathing and moisturize your skin. This condition will pass on its own, you might also want to try using corticosteroid creams no more than 3 times a day, I wish you a prompt recovery.

Questions related to Shingles

Live Shingles vaccine causes Shingle outbreak

Our neighbor had shingles vaccine, came over to visit an hour later, have had several outbreaks since childhood afte...

Shingles and one year old not immunized

My husband is being treated for shingles. My question..our granddaughter is one year old and not immunized. We are g...

Painful skin lesion on the neck

I have a small legion on my neck with a depressed center and what appears to be "bladders" around it. It is very pai...

Can I swim in a pool or ocean without infecting...

If I have an outbreak of shingles - can I swim in a pool or ocean without infecting anyone else? My complex has a po...

How do I know if I have shingles?

How do I know if I have shingles? I have dry patch of painful skin on my bra line.

How do you know you have shingles for sure?

Last night I felt burning electrical pain in right flank right above waist band of slacks and thats when I noticed a...

Painful Rash in Back - Could it be Shingles?

I have a rash on the left side of my back, it hurts, itch's all the time, has blisters. it extends from the middle ...

Should someone with an active case of shingles ...

Should someone that has an active case of shingles on their leg that is covered by bandages go to work? Can they inf...

Are antiviral meds needed for Shingles?

I went to visit the doctor today about a case of Shingles. He confirmed they were Shingles and recommended Zyrtec. ...

Pinched nerve treatment with valtrex

Hi - i am being treated with valtrex for newve pain in my elbow - diagnosed as anterior interosseous newve syndrom ....

Benefits of Shingles Inoculation for active inf...

My Mother is 91 years old and had Shingles about 3 yrs. ago which affected one of her eyes. Recently, she had a bron...

PHN years after shingles outbreak?

I have a question I cannon find on the Internet. Can a 70 year old develop PHN 9 years after an intense shingles ou...

Shingles: Can it occur in the areas of the eye?

Can you get shingles in the eye or eye area?

Could Meningitis be a complication of shingles?

My husband was recently diagnosed with shingles; his symptoms were an intense electic-like shock in the back of his ...

What is the treatment for shingles?

WHAT TYPE OF OF PRESCRTPION MEDICATION SHOULD YOU TAKE AT THE ONSET OF SHINGLES

Can I apply for disability with Post Herpetic N...

I am a 28 year old male. I first came down with Shingles about two years ago, After the rash I continued to have a p...

Can vaccinated children get shingles?

My husband has developed a case of shingles. Our children have both had the chicken pox vaccine and not the disease....

Shingles Vaccine and Chicken pox exposure

I am 63 and had a mild childhood case of chicken pox. I f I have been exposed to my grandchildren with chicken pox ...

Shingles Vacine

I have been diagnosed with shingles. Would it be beneficial for me to get the shingles vacine after I recover.

Shingles Vaccine

I am just starting to get over shingles. In the future am I more likely or less likely to contract them again? Is th...

shingles transmission from another human

Can't you get Shingles from some one who has them.

Shingles and chicken pox transmission

Hi my fiancee is 18 weeks pregnant and has come down with shingles, but my son now has chicken pox. is it safe for h...

How long does it last for shingles to heal

I have just been diagnosed with Shingles. It started a week ago. how long does it take before I'll feel better? I...

Shingles related to nerves in the knees

I have been under considerable stress over the last year and have had 2 episodes of shingles on both sides of my bac...

Chicken pox and shingles

Ive never had chicken pox and they said i have shingles could i have both

Post Your Thoughts