Question :

Shoulder pain going down the arm getting worse when lying in bed

Hi can you help me pleasei seen a phsio a week ago who told me i had arthritis of the left shoulder they refered me but in the mean time my doctor sent me for a xray when i phooned they said it was normal the sytoms is very bad pain in shoulder going down my arm its worse when iam in bed

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 There are many causes of shoulder-arm pain as you described it, the most common in all age groups are the lesions of the rotator cuff, they represent a wide array of diseases, from acute reversible tendinitis, passing by impingement of the tendon for the surrounding bone structures, to massive tears involving the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and subscapularis, these are the 3 muscles of the rotator cuff. The diagnosis is often made through detailed history and physical examination, and it might be confirmed by imaging studies (MRI). The suggested treatment strategy includes: in the acute phase, pain control and inflammation reduction are initially required to allow progression of healing and initiation of an active rehabilitation program. This can be accomplished with a combination of relative rest, icing (20 min, 3-4 times per day), and anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “motrin”). It has proven to be helpful sleep with a pillow between the trunk and arm to decrease tension on the supraspinatus tendon and to prevent blood flow compromise in its watershed region. You should continue the pain control techniques at home, work, or vacation as part of the exercise program. The home exercise program builds on itself through each phase of the rehabilitation process, and carry-over should be monitored. Corticosteroids injection locally might be considered to allow further progression of the rehabilitation program. I do not recommend these injections to patients with complete rotator tears, especially if surgery is being considered.

Questions related to Shoulder Pain

Shoulder Pain that goes down entire arm.

It started off with my left shoulder hurting but it went away after about two days and I thought it was done with. Tw...

Humures fracture

I have severe humerus fracture with dislocation. I have plate and 8 screws in shoulder and arm.Also had second surger...

Problem with clavicle screws, post-op

I had shoulder surgery about 2 months ago where the doctor placed 2 screws in my clavicle, they now cause me a fair a...

Muscle Pain in Shoulder

About a month ago, I burnt my hand pretty bad and I had to go to the hospital. They gave me a tetanus shot and since ...

Serious blow to gut!!

Ok so three nights ago, a car door was open as I was jogging to catch up to it, the driver slammed on breaks and the ...

Pain and bulge in my shoulder

11 days ago i was lifting and moving heavy things and since then my left arm has been in pain. I have full function o...

Can a doctor refuse to write a legal work release

can a doctor legally refuse to write a work release without any restrictions because I cannot afford the surgery.

Sharp shoulder pain after a fall

Hello. My mother's right shoulder is in such extreme pain. She has been screaming and crying. She fell out of her ...

Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Pain in shoulder

What causes pain in shoulder, neck and left arm

Unusual Shoulder Pain Symptoms After Falling

I fell a couple days ago and I am assuming I hurt my shoulder by trying to catch myself. The day after I fell, I had ...

Shoulder pain for a month in a carpet worker

Pain in my right Shoulder, just with in the past month or so.... My job is working with area rugs and I have been mo...

Incoming surgery due to chronic shoulder problem

Hi im 36 years of age i had had pain in my shoulder blade for the last 10 years 5 years ago i had a mri scan which s...

Shoulder pain radiated to chest at night

I have been having chest pain and pain in my shoulder blade (left side) for about two weeks now. It is mostly only ...

Shoulder problem requiring surgery?

My boyfriend has to have surgery on his shoulder but we do not have the money for the surgery or for him to take off...

Pain in the left shoulder: "Frozen shoulder"

I have suffer from set to now with pain in my left shoulder. which the doctors said it was a frozen shoulder. i was ...

How long should I wear the brace for my disloca...

Dislocatied shoulder how long wear brace , how long before trying to move it ?

My left shoulder hurts when I move it up and to...

I still have full range of motion in my left shoulder but when i move it up and to the side it hurts like hell. It f...

Shoulder pain when reaching behind, stretching ...

I have had pain in my left shoulder for about two months. When I reach behind me or stretch my arm all the way the p...

Rehab after SLAP shoulder surgery: what to expe...

I had surgery to repair a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. One anchor was used to repair my labrum. I am a college ba...

Pain in the shoulder getting worse doing sports...

I have bad shoulder pain in my right shoulder my left one is not as bad. I cant do sports or lift weights cause it m...

Pain in left shoulder with numbness in the hand

I have continual left shoulder pain and spasms. My arm, thumb, index finger will go numb instantly in certain positi...

Problems after shoulder surgery one year ago

I am 33 yo male, I had anterior shoulder stabilisation on my right shoulder approximately one year ago - following a...

Left shoulder pain for the last three months

Hi, I have been experiencing left shoulder and shoulder blade pain for about 3 months now, but mainly in my shoulder...

Broken clavicle almost a year later

I'm 24 year old male who broke his left clavicle pretty close to the shoulder about11 months ago in a snowboarding a...

Post Your Thoughts