Question :

Pain in the Neck, Shoulder and a Numb Thumb

I have had pain in my neck and left shoulder for two weeks. My doctor said it was stress and gave me pain pills and muscles relaxers. I still have the pain and my left thumb is numbed.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The numbness in your left thumb, pain in neck and left shoulder as you described might be due a cervical nerve compression (C7-C8), but it would be important to rule out that cause and also inflammation of the peripheral nerves at the level of the arm and hand. In the younger patients, cervical radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient, cervical radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone (osteophyte) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process. The same described before for the cervical spine applies to the lower back in terms of cause of pain and numbness in the legs, same causes, different spinal level.
The treatment strategy usually includes: physical therapy program aimed to reduce pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory drugs (as ibuprofen), also a re-education of habits and posture of the patients to improve quality of life. Patients should be independent in a stretching and strengthening program and continue with these exercises under the periodic supervision of a physical therapist initially and then completely on their own. Patients whose condition fails to improve with a comprehensive rehabilitation program and selective injections should be presented with a surgical evaluation. Often, patients should show progressive improvement over the first 6-8 weeks with conservative treatment. If there is no significant improvement in this time frame, consider a surgical evaluation.

Questions related to Shoulder Pain

Humures fracture

I have severe humerus fracture with dislocation. I have plate and 8 screws in shoulder and arm.Also had second surger...

Problem with clavicle screws, post-op

I had shoulder surgery about 2 months ago where the doctor placed 2 screws in my clavicle, they now cause me a fair a...

Muscle Pain in Shoulder

About a month ago, I burnt my hand pretty bad and I had to go to the hospital. They gave me a tetanus shot and since ...

Serious blow to gut!!

Ok so three nights ago, a car door was open as I was jogging to catch up to it, the driver slammed on breaks and the ...

Pain and bulge in my shoulder

11 days ago i was lifting and moving heavy things and since then my left arm has been in pain. I have full function o...

Can a doctor refuse to write a legal work release

can a doctor legally refuse to write a work release without any restrictions because I cannot afford the surgery.

Sharp shoulder pain after a fall

Hello. My mother's right shoulder is in such extreme pain. She has been screaming and crying. She fell out of her ...

Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Pain in shoulder

What causes pain in shoulder, neck and left arm

Unusual Shoulder Pain Symptoms After Falling

I fell a couple days ago and I am assuming I hurt my shoulder by trying to catch myself. The day after I fell, I had ...

Shoulder pain for a month in a carpet worker

Pain in my right Shoulder, just with in the past month or so.... My job is working with area rugs and I have been mo...

Incoming surgery due to chronic shoulder problem

Hi im 36 years of age i had had pain in my shoulder blade for the last 10 years 5 years ago i had a mri scan which s...

Shoulder pain radiated to chest at night

I have been having chest pain and pain in my shoulder blade (left side) for about two weeks now. It is mostly only ...

Shoulder problem requiring surgery?

My boyfriend has to have surgery on his shoulder but we do not have the money for the surgery or for him to take off...

Pain in the left shoulder: "Frozen shoulder"

I have suffer from set to now with pain in my left shoulder. which the doctors said it was a frozen shoulder. i was ...

How long should I wear the brace for my disloca...

Dislocatied shoulder how long wear brace , how long before trying to move it ?

My left shoulder hurts when I move it up and to...

I still have full range of motion in my left shoulder but when i move it up and to the side it hurts like hell. It f...

Shoulder pain when reaching behind, stretching ...

I have had pain in my left shoulder for about two months. When I reach behind me or stretch my arm all the way the p...

Rehab after SLAP shoulder surgery: what to expe...

I had surgery to repair a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. One anchor was used to repair my labrum. I am a college ba...

Pain in the shoulder getting worse doing sports...

I have bad shoulder pain in my right shoulder my left one is not as bad. I cant do sports or lift weights cause it m...

Shoulder pain going down the arm getting worse ...

Hi can you help me pleasei seen a phsio a week ago who told me i had arthritis of the left shoulder they refered me ...

Pain in left shoulder with numbness in the hand

I have continual left shoulder pain and spasms. My arm, thumb, index finger will go numb instantly in certain positi...

Problems after shoulder surgery one year ago

I am 33 yo male, I had anterior shoulder stabilisation on my right shoulder approximately one year ago - following a...

Left shoulder pain for the last three months

Hi, I have been experiencing left shoulder and shoulder blade pain for about 3 months now, but mainly in my shoulder...

Broken clavicle almost a year later

I'm 24 year old male who broke his left clavicle pretty close to the shoulder about11 months ago in a snowboarding a...

Post Your Thoughts