Question :

Pain in Right Shoulder with Numbness of Right Hand Fingers

What could be the cause of sudden sharp pains in my right shoulder blade area,that result in tingling fingers and numbness in my right hand. i can feel a tight area around the right shoulder blade area that is sensitive..a press of the finger on that spot will bring me to my knees..whats going on?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The numbness in your right hand and the pain in the shoulder as you described might be due to a cervical nerve compression (C7-C8), but it would be important to rule out inflammation of the peripheral nerves at the level of the arm and hand. In the younger patients, cervical radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient, cervical radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone (osteophyte) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process. The same described before for the cervical spine applies to the lower back in terms of cause of pain and numbness in the legs, same causes, different spinal level. Also might be important rule out Fibromyalgia because according with your description most likely those sharp pains in your shoulder muscles are localized contractures called: trigger points,  when you touch or rub them they produce (“trigger”) pain. Fibromyalgia is a widespread or global pain, it can start in one site , as in your case  in the back, but becomes generalized pain for more than 3 months of duration, it can affect individuals of any age, and more women than men, but just the 2% of the general population in US meet the criteria to be diagnosed of Fibromyalgia.

The treatment strategy usually includes: physical therapy program aimed to reduce pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory drugs (as ibuprofen), also a re-education of habits and posture of the patients to improve quality of life. You should be independent in a stretching and strengthening program and continue with these exercises under the periodic supervision of a physical therapist initially and then completely on their own. If your condition fails to improve with a comprehensive rehabilitation program then selective injections should be presented with a surgical evaluation. Often, patients should show progressive improvement over the first 6-8 weeks with conservative treatment. If there is no significant improvement in this time frame, consider a surgical evaluation.

Questions related to Shoulder Pain

Shoulder Pain that goes down entire arm.

It started off with my left shoulder hurting but it went away after about two days and I thought it was done with. Tw...

Humures fracture

I have severe humerus fracture with dislocation. I have plate and 8 screws in shoulder and arm.Also had second surger...

Problem with clavicle screws, post-op

I had shoulder surgery about 2 months ago where the doctor placed 2 screws in my clavicle, they now cause me a fair a...

Muscle Pain in Shoulder

About a month ago, I burnt my hand pretty bad and I had to go to the hospital. They gave me a tetanus shot and since ...

Serious blow to gut!!

Ok so three nights ago, a car door was open as I was jogging to catch up to it, the driver slammed on breaks and the ...

Pain and bulge in my shoulder

11 days ago i was lifting and moving heavy things and since then my left arm has been in pain. I have full function o...

Can a doctor refuse to write a legal work release

can a doctor legally refuse to write a work release without any restrictions because I cannot afford the surgery.

Sharp shoulder pain after a fall

Hello. My mother's right shoulder is in such extreme pain. She has been screaming and crying. She fell out of her ...

Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Pain in shoulder

What causes pain in shoulder, neck and left arm

Unusual Shoulder Pain Symptoms After Falling

I fell a couple days ago and I am assuming I hurt my shoulder by trying to catch myself. The day after I fell, I had ...

Shoulder pain for a month in a carpet worker

Pain in my right Shoulder, just with in the past month or so.... My job is working with area rugs and I have been mo...

Incoming surgery due to chronic shoulder problem

Hi im 36 years of age i had had pain in my shoulder blade for the last 10 years 5 years ago i had a mri scan which s...

Shoulder pain radiated to chest at night

I have been having chest pain and pain in my shoulder blade (left side) for about two weeks now. It is mostly only ...

Shoulder problem requiring surgery?

My boyfriend has to have surgery on his shoulder but we do not have the money for the surgery or for him to take off...

Pain in the left shoulder: "Frozen shoulder"

I have suffer from set to now with pain in my left shoulder. which the doctors said it was a frozen shoulder. i was ...

How long should I wear the brace for my disloca...

Dislocatied shoulder how long wear brace , how long before trying to move it ?

My left shoulder hurts when I move it up and to...

I still have full range of motion in my left shoulder but when i move it up and to the side it hurts like hell. It f...

Shoulder pain when reaching behind, stretching ...

I have had pain in my left shoulder for about two months. When I reach behind me or stretch my arm all the way the p...

Rehab after SLAP shoulder surgery: what to expe...

I had surgery to repair a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. One anchor was used to repair my labrum. I am a college ba...

Pain in the shoulder getting worse doing sports...

I have bad shoulder pain in my right shoulder my left one is not as bad. I cant do sports or lift weights cause it m...

Shoulder pain going down the arm getting worse ...

Hi can you help me pleasei seen a phsio a week ago who told me i had arthritis of the left shoulder they refered me ...

Pain in left shoulder with numbness in the hand

I have continual left shoulder pain and spasms. My arm, thumb, index finger will go numb instantly in certain positi...

Problems after shoulder surgery one year ago

I am 33 yo male, I had anterior shoulder stabilisation on my right shoulder approximately one year ago - following a...

Left shoulder pain for the last three months

Hi, I have been experiencing left shoulder and shoulder blade pain for about 3 months now, but mainly in my shoulder...

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: I had the same problems and suffered for almost three months but finally diagnosed the same answer given by the dr. that I was suffering from Cervical Nerve Compression and slightly degenerative changes in C3 & C4, Got physiotherapy for this one for two weeks and feeling much better now.