Question :

Bilateral shoulder pain for 18 months

I'm a 36yr, healthy, fit male without any medical problems and no chronic meds. I've got bilat shoulder pain for the last 18 months that originally started on the right and then followed on the left 3 months later. I've had some impact injuries on the right but never hurt my L shoulder before. MRI Shows post labrum tear and extensive bone marrow edema of distal clavicle. I thought i might have irritated the cuff with some increased shoulder reps at gym, but after 4 months of rest and PT there is no improvement and bilat AC joint steroid injection did little. RA and hyperparathyroid has been ruled out. Full flex and abduction causes mild discomfort bilat, impingement tests are negative. Please help with diagnosis

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
In the view that you have been ruled out for RA and Hyperpatahyroidism, also you have history of injuries on your right shoulder, possibly overuse at gym with both shoulders, and the results of your MRI showed labrum tear, you may have besides the labrum tear a rotator cuff injury.The rotator cuff is a group of tendons that support the shoulder. These tendons can be injured during weight lifting, when playing sports with a lot of throwing, after repetitive use over a long time or suffer degenerative changes with the aging process. Typically, the pain worsens at night, with abduction over 90 degrees, it is a dull ache in the upper outer arm and shoulder, it results from mechanical compression of the rotator cuff tendon beneath the antero inferior portion of the acromion (one of the bones of the shoulder joint), causing changes in the distal part of the rotator cuff tendon, which is at risk due to poor blood supply. On the other hand, The shoulder joint is a ball and socket joint, extremely shallow, and thus inherently unstable, this means that the bones of the shoulder are not held in place adequately, and therefore extra support is needed. To compensate for the shallow socket, the shoulder joint has a cuff of cartilage called a that forms a cup for the end of the arm bone (humerus) to move within. The labrum circles the shallow shoulder socket (the glenoid) to make the socket deeper. This cuff of cartilage makes the shoulder joint much more stable, and allows for a very wide range of movements (in fact, the range of movements your shoulder can make far exceeds any other joint in the body). The labrum is made of a thick tissue that is susceptible to injury with trauma to the shoulder joint. When you sustain a shoulder injury, it is possible that you may have a labral tear. The labrum also becomes more brittle with age, and can fray and tear as part of the aging process. The treatment of a torn labrum depends on the type of tear that has occurred. Most labral tears do not require surgery; however, if as your case, you are having persistent symptoms, despite more conservative treatments, surgery may be necessary. It is very important to complete a intensive and comprehensive Rehabilitation program after the surgery to ensure that you strengthen and balance the muscles around the shoulder joint givingĀ  stability, improve range of motion, prevent scarring as the ligaments heal and teach you which movements and / or activities you should avoid.

Questions related to Shoulder Pain

Sick and tired of the pain

Right shoulder pain?? Was told that it was frozen shoulder.

Shoulder Pain that goes down entire arm.

It started off with my left shoulder hurting but it went away after about two days and I thought it was done with. Tw...

Humures fracture

I have severe humerus fracture with dislocation. I have plate and 8 screws in shoulder and arm.Also had second surger...

Problem with clavicle screws, post-op

I had shoulder surgery about 2 months ago where the doctor placed 2 screws in my clavicle, they now cause me a fair a...

Muscle Pain in Shoulder

About a month ago, I burnt my hand pretty bad and I had to go to the hospital. They gave me a tetanus shot and since ...

Serious blow to gut!!

Ok so three nights ago, a car door was open as I was jogging to catch up to it, the driver slammed on breaks and the ...

Pain and bulge in my shoulder

11 days ago i was lifting and moving heavy things and since then my left arm has been in pain. I have full function o...

Can a doctor refuse to write a legal work release

can a doctor legally refuse to write a work release without any restrictions because I cannot afford the surgery.

Sharp shoulder pain after a fall

Hello. My mother's right shoulder is in such extreme pain. She has been screaming and crying. She fell out of her ...

Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Pain in shoulder

What causes pain in shoulder, neck and left arm

Unusual Shoulder Pain Symptoms After Falling

I fell a couple days ago and I am assuming I hurt my shoulder by trying to catch myself. The day after I fell, I had ...

Shoulder pain for a month in a carpet worker

Pain in my right Shoulder, just with in the past month or so.... My job is working with area rugs and I have been mo...

Incoming surgery due to chronic shoulder problem

Hi im 36 years of age i had had pain in my shoulder blade for the last 10 years 5 years ago i had a mri scan which s...

Shoulder pain radiated to chest at night

I have been having chest pain and pain in my shoulder blade (left side) for about two weeks now. It is mostly only ...

Shoulder problem requiring surgery?

My boyfriend has to have surgery on his shoulder but we do not have the money for the surgery or for him to take off...

Pain in the left shoulder: "Frozen shoulder"

I have suffer from set to now with pain in my left shoulder. which the doctors said it was a frozen shoulder. i was ...

How long should I wear the brace for my disloca...

Dislocatied shoulder how long wear brace , how long before trying to move it ?

My left shoulder hurts when I move it up and to...

I still have full range of motion in my left shoulder but when i move it up and to the side it hurts like hell. It f...

Shoulder pain when reaching behind, stretching ...

I have had pain in my left shoulder for about two months. When I reach behind me or stretch my arm all the way the p...

Rehab after SLAP shoulder surgery: what to expe...

I had surgery to repair a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. One anchor was used to repair my labrum. I am a college ba...

Pain in the shoulder getting worse doing sports...

I have bad shoulder pain in my right shoulder my left one is not as bad. I cant do sports or lift weights cause it m...

Shoulder pain going down the arm getting worse ...

Hi can you help me pleasei seen a phsio a week ago who told me i had arthritis of the left shoulder they refered me ...

Pain in left shoulder with numbness in the hand

I have continual left shoulder pain and spasms. My arm, thumb, index finger will go numb instantly in certain positi...

Problems after shoulder surgery one year ago

I am 33 yo male, I had anterior shoulder stabilisation on my right shoulder approximately one year ago - following a...

Post Your Thoughts