Question :

Rehab Post labral tear and capsule shift shoulder surgery

I recently had shoulder surgery on Dec 16th, 2010 to repair a torn Labrum. I believe the surgery was called "L shoulder scope and capsule shift repair". I recently started therapy on January 31st 2011, but something isn't right. I of course have a weak shoulder and arm, and I constantly have a sharp deep pain in the top of my shoulder, and when I try to follow the therapy diagrams every day, the pain gets worse. To make matters worse, every single muscle in my upper arm (tricep, bicep) and my trap, along with my left back muscle always seem to hurt, feel pulled and strained and I get shots of pain in those muscles randomly. I talked to my doctor and physical therapist and they gave me a STIM unit, and also told me to use a heating pad before therapy and ice after. This is all fine and good, but I am still having annoying pain constantly. I only missed 2 days of work since Dec 16th since I had the surgery and I opted out to take the 6-8 weeks off. I am worried something doesn't feel right here but everyone else seems to think it is normal. I am currently not on any pain medication and have not been since January 10th, but I really think that I should get a script for therapy, but I don't know if this is normal or not. I have been trying to get along with this annoying pain, weak shoulder and arm and have not worn the sling for 2 weeks now. My doctor and therapist suggest I follow through therapy three times a day, but I can only physically manage once with all of the pain and discomfort. My question now, is this normal to experience? How long do I expect to be in this state? Should I be on any anti inflammatory medication or pain medication for therapy? Also, is there something else I can do to get through this misery, yet still be able to function at work? I just feel like everything was going so good until I had to start therapy. Now I feel like my doctor left me in the dust.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
You only have 3 weeks in rehab therapy and everything that your doctor and therapist have told you to do is right, meaning: using the TENS unit, the hot before and cold after the exercises to control pain and inflammation, which is normal the first weeks of therapy after the suurgery. Of course you could use some anti inflammatory medication to help you with the pain (“Aleve”, “Motrin”).It is very important to complete a intensive and comprehensive Rehabilitation program after the surgery to ensure that you strengthen and balance the muscles around the shoulder joint giving stability, improve range of motion, prevent scarring as the ligaments heal and also teach you which movements and / or activities you should avoid. It is advised that you do the exercises as many times a day as you can tolerate to speed your recovery.

Questions related to Shoulder Pain

Sick and tired of the pain

Right shoulder pain?? Was told that it was frozen shoulder.

Shoulder Pain that goes down entire arm.

It started off with my left shoulder hurting but it went away after about two days and I thought it was done with. Tw...

Humures fracture

I have severe humerus fracture with dislocation. I have plate and 8 screws in shoulder and arm.Also had second surger...

Problem with clavicle screws, post-op

I had shoulder surgery about 2 months ago where the doctor placed 2 screws in my clavicle, they now cause me a fair a...

Muscle Pain in Shoulder

About a month ago, I burnt my hand pretty bad and I had to go to the hospital. They gave me a tetanus shot and since ...

Serious blow to gut!!

Ok so three nights ago, a car door was open as I was jogging to catch up to it, the driver slammed on breaks and the ...

Pain and bulge in my shoulder

11 days ago i was lifting and moving heavy things and since then my left arm has been in pain. I have full function o...

Can a doctor refuse to write a legal work release

can a doctor legally refuse to write a work release without any restrictions because I cannot afford the surgery.

Sharp shoulder pain after a fall

Hello. My mother's right shoulder is in such extreme pain. She has been screaming and crying. She fell out of her ...

Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Pain in shoulder

What causes pain in shoulder, neck and left arm

Unusual Shoulder Pain Symptoms After Falling

I fell a couple days ago and I am assuming I hurt my shoulder by trying to catch myself. The day after I fell, I had ...

Shoulder pain for a month in a carpet worker

Pain in my right Shoulder, just with in the past month or so.... My job is working with area rugs and I have been mo...

Incoming surgery due to chronic shoulder problem

Hi im 36 years of age i had had pain in my shoulder blade for the last 10 years 5 years ago i had a mri scan which s...

Shoulder pain radiated to chest at night

I have been having chest pain and pain in my shoulder blade (left side) for about two weeks now. It is mostly only ...

Shoulder problem requiring surgery?

My boyfriend has to have surgery on his shoulder but we do not have the money for the surgery or for him to take off...

Pain in the left shoulder: "Frozen shoulder"

I have suffer from set to now with pain in my left shoulder. which the doctors said it was a frozen shoulder. i was ...

How long should I wear the brace for my disloca...

Dislocatied shoulder how long wear brace , how long before trying to move it ?

My left shoulder hurts when I move it up and to...

I still have full range of motion in my left shoulder but when i move it up and to the side it hurts like hell. It f...

Shoulder pain when reaching behind, stretching ...

I have had pain in my left shoulder for about two months. When I reach behind me or stretch my arm all the way the p...

Rehab after SLAP shoulder surgery: what to expe...

I had surgery to repair a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. One anchor was used to repair my labrum. I am a college ba...

Pain in the shoulder getting worse doing sports...

I have bad shoulder pain in my right shoulder my left one is not as bad. I cant do sports or lift weights cause it m...

Shoulder pain going down the arm getting worse ...

Hi can you help me pleasei seen a phsio a week ago who told me i had arthritis of the left shoulder they refered me ...

Pain in left shoulder with numbness in the hand

I have continual left shoulder pain and spasms. My arm, thumb, index finger will go numb instantly in certain positi...

Problems after shoulder surgery one year ago

I am 33 yo male, I had anterior shoulder stabilisation on my right shoulder approximately one year ago - following a...

Post Your Thoughts