Question :

Is it safe to take Amitriptylline and Morphine together?

My Mother is suffering with severe upper arm pain, it is in her right arm. the doctor is not sure what the problem is and has prescribed liquid morphine 5mg and told her to take 1 then if that doesnt work take 2 and so on and so on. this does not seem to work except for her being confused and dizzy most of the time. as well as this medicine she has been prescribed Amytriptaline to help her sleep??? can these be mixed together? my mum is 70 years old and not in the best of health as last year she had cancer in her kidney which was ultimately removed. i know that i should not say this but i dont think that her doctor is all that interested. This is stopping her from sleeping at night and is driving her mad, i know that this is an impossible question but do you know how to aleiviate the pain even by half.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Your mother is an old lady and I believe you want to improve her quality of life as much as possible. There are no significant drug interactions between morphine and amitriptylline. The answer is yea, those 2 drus can be taken together. Most likely, her pain cannot be controlled by morphine already, which means she has developed tolerance to it. This is pretty common and taking too much morphine is also harmful. Prescribing her too many drugs may do more harm than good. If you want, try consulting another doctor for a second opinion to reassess and reevaluate the arm pain, and possibly on how to manage it. I hope this helps.

Questions related to Shoulder Pain

Humures fracture

I have severe humerus fracture with dislocation. I have plate and 8 screws in shoulder and arm.Also had second surger...

Problem with clavicle screws, post-op

I had shoulder surgery about 2 months ago where the doctor placed 2 screws in my clavicle, they now cause me a fair a...

Muscle Pain in Shoulder

About a month ago, I burnt my hand pretty bad and I had to go to the hospital. They gave me a tetanus shot and since ...

Serious blow to gut!!

Ok so three nights ago, a car door was open as I was jogging to catch up to it, the driver slammed on breaks and the ...

Pain and bulge in my shoulder

11 days ago i was lifting and moving heavy things and since then my left arm has been in pain. I have full function o...

Can a doctor refuse to write a legal work release

can a doctor legally refuse to write a work release without any restrictions because I cannot afford the surgery.

Sharp shoulder pain after a fall

Hello. My mother's right shoulder is in such extreme pain. She has been screaming and crying. She fell out of her ...

Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Pain in shoulder

What causes pain in shoulder, neck and left arm

Unusual Shoulder Pain Symptoms After Falling

I fell a couple days ago and I am assuming I hurt my shoulder by trying to catch myself. The day after I fell, I had ...

Shoulder pain for a month in a carpet worker

Pain in my right Shoulder, just with in the past month or so.... My job is working with area rugs and I have been mo...

Incoming surgery due to chronic shoulder problem

Hi im 36 years of age i had had pain in my shoulder blade for the last 10 years 5 years ago i had a mri scan which s...

Shoulder pain radiated to chest at night

I have been having chest pain and pain in my shoulder blade (left side) for about two weeks now. It is mostly only ...

Shoulder problem requiring surgery?

My boyfriend has to have surgery on his shoulder but we do not have the money for the surgery or for him to take off...

Pain in the left shoulder: "Frozen shoulder"

I have suffer from set to now with pain in my left shoulder. which the doctors said it was a frozen shoulder. i was ...

How long should I wear the brace for my disloca...

Dislocatied shoulder how long wear brace , how long before trying to move it ?

My left shoulder hurts when I move it up and to...

I still have full range of motion in my left shoulder but when i move it up and to the side it hurts like hell. It f...

Shoulder pain when reaching behind, stretching ...

I have had pain in my left shoulder for about two months. When I reach behind me or stretch my arm all the way the p...

Rehab after SLAP shoulder surgery: what to expe...

I had surgery to repair a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. One anchor was used to repair my labrum. I am a college ba...

Pain in the shoulder getting worse doing sports...

I have bad shoulder pain in my right shoulder my left one is not as bad. I cant do sports or lift weights cause it m...

Shoulder pain going down the arm getting worse ...

Hi can you help me pleasei seen a phsio a week ago who told me i had arthritis of the left shoulder they refered me ...

Pain in left shoulder with numbness in the hand

I have continual left shoulder pain and spasms. My arm, thumb, index finger will go numb instantly in certain positi...

Problems after shoulder surgery one year ago

I am 33 yo male, I had anterior shoulder stabilisation on my right shoulder approximately one year ago - following a...

Left shoulder pain for the last three months

Hi, I have been experiencing left shoulder and shoulder blade pain for about 3 months now, but mainly in my shoulder...

Broken clavicle almost a year later

I'm 24 year old male who broke his left clavicle pretty close to the shoulder about11 months ago in a snowboarding a...

I work in construction and experiencing chronic...

For the last 6 or 8 months I have a really deep pain on my right shoulder first but now on boths and in the morning ...

Soarness in upper left Arm after workout.

I have a swollen upper left Arm, i was working out three days ago and am worried it might be a muscle strain? It fee...

Server left shoulder pain not getting relief

I have server left shoulder pain and the pain goes to my elbow, fore arm then into my hands causing me to lose contr...

Shoulder pain due to subacromial impingement wi...

I am 31 years old and have had pain in my left shoulder for 5-6 years. I recently (November 2010) had an arthrogram ...

Post Shoulder Surgery Pain

My friend recently had surgery on his shoulder because he had a few tears. I have two questions: 1. Is it normal to ...

Anterior Shoulder Luxation with bone and cartil...

My 13 year old son dislocated his shoulder playing football. It was diagnosed as an anterior dislocation. He has had...

"Frozen Shoulder" or Adhesive Capsulitis: treat...

Hello, I was diagnosed with Frozen Shoulder July of 2011. I started to have some symptoms December 2010, it got wors...

Possible Rotator Cuff tendinitis due to an inju...

I injured my right shoulder about a year ago while working out but never got it checked out. It has continued to bot...

Shoulder and Joint Pain Getting Worse

I've had pain in both my shoulders and neck for the last 16 months. In the beginning it came in waves, lasting a wee...

Care after shoulder dislocation

I fell on my arm over the weekend and dislocated my shoulder. I was able to get it back into place within a couple o...

Shoulder pain for 5 years and getting worse

I have had shoulder pain for the past 5 years, gradually getting worse...its now at the point where I have very limi...

Common causes of shoulder pain

Hello I have shoulder pain that goes up my neck I can't sleep because the pain wakes me up. If I put any pressure on...

Help to understand Shoulder MRI findings

I had an MRI of shoulder it says type II SLAP lesion with an adjacent paralabral cyst.? ROTATOR CUFF TENDINOSIS? TYP...

Rotator cuff tear--surgery recovery

Hi: I had a MRI on right shoulder which is attached and showed rotator cuff tear of 1cmx1.5cm of supraspinatus tendo...

.-Teenager with repeated shoulder subluxations

Hi, i am a 14 year old female. For the past 3 years, I have been suffering with a bad right shoulder. It dislocates ...

Throbbing shoulder pain with previous history o...

I am a 22 year old man and i have day to day pain in the right shoulder. When i was 13 i dislocated it and then i di...

Acute Shoulder Pain with thin scars and shivering!

INTRO: I'm a 30 yr old software guy who work on the computer (mouse on the right hand) for about 12 hours a day. H...

Rotator Cuff Tear Treatment Options

Hello, I am 32 years old and I have crohn's disease, i was having severe shoulder pain and after the second surgery ...

Severe Pain in Shoulders at Night

I have pretty bad pain in both shoulders every night. It seems to be in my shoulder joints and it actually wakes me ...

Frozen shoulder

Hi iam wondering if a frozen shoulder could cause a budlging disk in c5 c6

Shoulder injury

Hello, im 27 and about 9 years ago my shoulder was injured, the pain went away that same day.However about 2 years l...

Torn Pectoral Muscle two years ago

Hello, I have a question regarding a torn lower pec muscle and any possible options. I had the injury for two years ...

Shoulder Pain; How to Diagnose and Treat

I am a 15 year old guy. I started pole vaulting this year. For the past 5 weeks of so, I have had a lot of pain in m...

Pain in the shoulder with arm extension above 9...

When I extend my right arm I have pain right above the bicept. My massage therapist told me it was the deltoid muscl...

Pain in my right shoulder and spondylitis

I have been recently diagnosed with Spondylitis on my right shoulder and prescribed to take the following medicines....

Post Your Thoughts