Question :

Strep throat not responding to antibiotics

My son has had steep throat. For a month. He has tested positive and was given 10 days of amoxicillan. Strep came back in 36 hours. He was reswabbed and tested positive. He was given 10 days of keflex. In 36 hours again it came back. He was re-swabbed and tested positive again. He is now on 20 days of augmentin. What could cause the strep from not going away? We have thrown out his toothbrush after each positive swab. My son is 12

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I can understand your concern because of failure of streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis to respond to antimicrobial therapy. No single antibiotic regimen eliminates GAS from the pharynx in 100 percent of cases. There are several potential explanations for antibiotic failure including :
i) Age of patient : Success with antibiotics is much lower in those aged 2 to 12 as compared to adults.
ii) Repeated exposure : Crowded living conditions encourage the transmission of GAS within the family, at work, at school, or in daycare settings.
iii) Presence of other bacteria : Staphylococcus aureus, Haemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, and beta-lactamase-producing anaerobic species.
iv) Streptococcus carriers : 30 percent of children infected with streptococcus go on to become carriers.
Some studies have shown that follow-up treatment with cefadroxil is a less costly and viable option in the treatment of strep throat after experiencing a penicillin/amoxicillin treatment failure.

Questions related to Strep Throat

Had tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy a month ago and...

My 5 year old daughter had her tonsils and adenoids out a month ago because of having strep throat 8 times since Janu...

Strep Throat: pain and lacking the ability to e...

Hi, i am 13 years old and I think I have strep throat and I couldn't fall asleep last night at all. The pain in my to...

Strep throat: rash?

I am being treated for strep throat with Penicillin since last Thursday and am feeling much much better. But yesterda...

Day 6 of antibiotics still spiking a fever an e...

I am a 33yr old female. I have had a intense sore throat for 2 weeks went to urgent care last Thursday was given a ra...

Do I have strep throat?

Does this look like step throat? http://oi62.tinypic.com/13zr85u.jpg

My 10 year son has recovered from strep throat....

My son is 10. He had strep throat for about 4 days and then he started getting better. regardless our family doctor...

One swollen tonsil

Hello, I'm 17 and about 9 days ago while at the dentist she noticed that my right tonsil is much more swollen then my...

strep throat and given amoxicillin right away. ...

I went to a walk in clinic on Thursday, was diagnosed with Strep throat and started amoxicillin right away (500mg 3 t...

Does Quinsy (Peritonsillar Abscess) need immedi...

I have peritonsillar abscess that occured just yesterday after my tonsilitis was cured.As I researched, it needs to b...

Throat Pimple Causing Discomfort (Teen)

Hello. I am a healthy 18 year old boy and had a recent concern. Suddenly for the past 2 days my throat has had a stra...

HELP! Recurrent strep throat or other bacteria?

Dear ask a doctor: I have had a recurrent sore throat now for almost 3 weeks. About 14 days ago I was given amoxic...

Strep Throat Healing Do I Still Need a Doctor??

Hello, I woke up with a sore throat on this past Thursday. Later I developed a fever, chills, and white spots and in...

Treatment of Sore Throat

I have had had a sore throat for the last four weeks which is getting worse. I have been to my doctor three times an...

Lumps In Back of Throat After Strep Throat

I had strep throat recently and am almost done taking my penicillin. During this time I looked into my throat and n...

Worsening strep throat infection

I acquired strep while on amoxicillin for a sinus infection. Returned to the dr, and was placed on cefzolin. Pain ...

Strep throat re occurance and treatment options

I had a positve throat test and was treated for strep 14 days ago. I had very large white patches on both of my tou...

Strep Throat Concern, will I require a throat s...

Hello, I have a docotor appointment later today, and I am concerned about the strep test or throat culture. I do not...

How long does it take to cure Strep throat?

I was diagnosed with strep throat on Monday. I was put on to keflex and today, Friday I was not better I still had a...

Strep Throat - How long will it take for the dr...

I'm 32 years old. I was diagnosed with strep throat on Monday. I started Keflex and I've been on for 2 days and I'...

How long do antibiotics need to take effect on ...

Red tonsils, White spots, tiny fever, fatigue, hurst when I swallow. Started antibiotics 36 hours ago (augmentin), bu...

I'm on Methotrexate and have recurrent tonsilli...

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I am taking meds that suppress my immune system. 2 months ago, I got strep throat an...

Should I take antibiotics for prevention of str...

If my spouse is experiencing continual strep symptoms and is taking antibiotics should I also take the antibiotics a...

Exposed to strep throat and now having symptoms.

Ii am a 43 year old female who was exsposed to strep throat and scarlet fever 2 weeks ago and I woke up with a sore ...

Possible Rheumatic Fever following Strep Throat

12 days ago my 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with the strep virus (in her throat and ear) and scarlet fever. she...

Remedies and precautions for Strep Throat

I am 100% sure I have strep throat just by looking at my throat and comparing it to images on the computer. I am goi...

Strep Throat, may be something else!?

About 3 weeks ago I had a slight sore throat. The next week I went to the ER, the rapid strep was neg, cultured was ...

Accuracy of rapid strep tests in diagnosing Str...

How accurate are rapid strep tests?

Could my daughter be a carrier of Strep infection?

Dear Dr, I have strep throat for the second time in three weeks. I have a 5 yr old daughter that stay with me two ...

Recurring Strep Throat Infection

Is it possible to give someone strep throat thru oral sex? Last summer I didn't know I had strep and I had oral sex ...

Strep throat and HIV

Is Strep throat a symptom of HIV or could a viral sore throat be mistaken for strep throat?

My sore throat and fever

Have had a sore throat now for 24 hours. I was woundering would i for sure run a fever if it is strep throat ?

False Negatives On Strep Tests?

When I was five I came down with strep. It came back negative on a throat culture so I was not treated with antibiot...

Imflamed Throat

My throat has been inflamed for around two months now and it does not seem to be getting any better. I do not have a...

Strep throat

I am a mother of twins. My question is about strep. If one of my kids get strep I try and disenfect as much as I c...

Do I need further treatment for strep? Pain is ...

I have a really excruciatingly painful sore throat with white spots on my tonsils, and a very mildly itchy red rash ...

Son has strep and fever wont go down

My 4 yr old son has strep, just started antibiotics today. He has another fever of 104.8. I gave him motrin about an...

Daugther having headaches on Cefzil

My daughter has been taking Cefzil (cefprozil) for 3 days for "suspected" strep throat. She has been having headach...

Out of curiosity Sore Thraoth Question

Just wondering would a swollen throat be worse for men due to the Adam's apple or no difference between men or women.

Lymphadenopathy - Toxoplasma

I have noticed the swollen node on my neck last week and been to a doctor at the weekend. He has done an endoscopy, ...

Goup B Strep diagnosed

I have been diagnosed with Group B Strep and I'm a 19 year old woman. I am not pregnant (my period just ended last w...

Strep toxic shock syndrome

After having strep toxic shock syndrome last September my son has had several bouts of asymptomatic strep infections...

What causes an elevated haematocrit level

Hi Dr. I recently got a CBC, because of suspected Mono, but the mono test was NEG. I had other out of range result...

Strep Throat vs. Virus

Hello. I am trying to decide if I should go to the doctor. I don't want to go, just to find out I have a virus and...

Indications for Tonsilectomy in Adults and Chil...

What are the current recommendations for tonsillectomy procedure in children and in adults? Is there a difference i...

Bleeding Sore Throat

So I have had a really bad sore throat for three days so far. I do not have any other cold or flu symptoms, although...

Strep Throat and Swollen Gums and Mouth Sores

Recently I got a case of strep throat, The strange thing is that my gums are swollen and i have sores all over my to...

Treating Strep Throat in Close Contacts

Is it safe to take an antibiotic if you have been exposed to strep throat and have the symptoms but have not had the...

Post Your Thoughts