Question :

How long do antibiotics need to take effect on strep throat

Red tonsils, White spots, tiny fever, fatigue, hurst when I swallow. Started antibiotics 36 hours ago (augmentin), but I still don't notice a noticeable difference. I can still see white spots, and still hurts when I swallow. Is this normal? Shouldn't pain AND.OR white spots be gone by now? Can I do a strep test now, or it is too late since I started antibiotics already? I have uploaded both pictures of now and 36 hours ago.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Most cases of pharyngitis is viral in origin but the pictures that you have attached suggest a bacterial infection. I do understand your concern for strep throat because of the potential risk of rheumatic heart disease and glomerulonephritis.
Strep throat can be suspected clinically. If there is presence of sore throat, tonsillar exudate, enlarged cervical lymph nodes and a temperature more than 100 F, this indicates a streptococcal infection and justifies empirical antibiotic treatment. If 2 or 3 of the mentioned signs are present then culture or rapid test for group A streptococcus is warranted. Penicillin is the drug of choice, though amoxicillin may be considered too because of its palatability as compared to penicillin. The antibiotics may shorten the period of the symptoms but may not provide relief for the symptoms of sore throat. NSAIDS and acetaminophen are more effective for the treatment of sore throat. If you notice your symptoms worsening after 5 days of therapy then you may need to see your doctor for re-evaluation and to rule out development of an abscess.

Questions related to Strep Throat

Had tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy a month ago and...

My 5 year old daughter had her tonsils and adenoids out a month ago because of having strep throat 8 times since Janu...

Strep Throat: pain and lacking the ability to e...

Hi, i am 13 years old and I think I have strep throat and I couldn't fall asleep last night at all. The pain in my to...

Strep throat: rash?

I am being treated for strep throat with Penicillin since last Thursday and am feeling much much better. But yesterda...

Day 6 of antibiotics still spiking a fever an e...

I am a 33yr old female. I have had a intense sore throat for 2 weeks went to urgent care last Thursday was given a ra...

Do I have strep throat?

Does this look like step throat? http://oi62.tinypic.com/13zr85u.jpg

My 10 year son has recovered from strep throat....

My son is 10. He had strep throat for about 4 days and then he started getting better. regardless our family doctor...

One swollen tonsil

Hello, I'm 17 and about 9 days ago while at the dentist she noticed that my right tonsil is much more swollen then my...

strep throat and given amoxicillin right away. ...

I went to a walk in clinic on Thursday, was diagnosed with Strep throat and started amoxicillin right away (500mg 3 t...

Does Quinsy (Peritonsillar Abscess) need immedi...

I have peritonsillar abscess that occured just yesterday after my tonsilitis was cured.As I researched, it needs to b...

Throat Pimple Causing Discomfort (Teen)

Hello. I am a healthy 18 year old boy and had a recent concern. Suddenly for the past 2 days my throat has had a stra...

HELP! Recurrent strep throat or other bacteria?

Dear ask a doctor: I have had a recurrent sore throat now for almost 3 weeks. About 14 days ago I was given amoxic...

Strep Throat Healing Do I Still Need a Doctor??

Hello, I woke up with a sore throat on this past Thursday. Later I developed a fever, chills, and white spots and in...

Treatment of Sore Throat

I have had had a sore throat for the last four weeks which is getting worse. I have been to my doctor three times an...

Lumps In Back of Throat After Strep Throat

I had strep throat recently and am almost done taking my penicillin. During this time I looked into my throat and n...

Worsening strep throat infection

I acquired strep while on amoxicillin for a sinus infection. Returned to the dr, and was placed on cefzolin. Pain ...

Strep throat re occurance and treatment options

I had a positve throat test and was treated for strep 14 days ago. I had very large white patches on both of my tou...

Strep throat not responding to antibiotics

My son has had steep throat. For a month. He has tested positive and was given 10 days of amoxicillan. Strep came ba...

Strep Throat Concern, will I require a throat s...

Hello, I have a docotor appointment later today, and I am concerned about the strep test or throat culture. I do not...

How long does it take to cure Strep throat?

I was diagnosed with strep throat on Monday. I was put on to keflex and today, Friday I was not better I still had a...

Strep Throat - How long will it take for the dr...

I'm 32 years old. I was diagnosed with strep throat on Monday. I started Keflex and I've been on for 2 days and I'...

I'm on Methotrexate and have recurrent tonsilli...

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I am taking meds that suppress my immune system. 2 months ago, I got strep throat an...

Should I take antibiotics for prevention of str...

If my spouse is experiencing continual strep symptoms and is taking antibiotics should I also take the antibiotics a...

Exposed to strep throat and now having symptoms.

Ii am a 43 year old female who was exsposed to strep throat and scarlet fever 2 weeks ago and I woke up with a sore ...

Possible Rheumatic Fever following Strep Throat

12 days ago my 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with the strep virus (in her throat and ear) and scarlet fever. she...

Remedies and precautions for Strep Throat

I am 100% sure I have strep throat just by looking at my throat and comparing it to images on the computer. I am goi...

Post Your Thoughts