Question :

Left hand weakness for a week

My husband is experiencing left hand weakness for about a week now. He is currently out of town for his job, so it's difficult to get him to go to the doctor. Tonight he said he had difficulty opening a metal potato chip clip. He has no other symptoms. He was doing some physical labor last week at work and we assumed he must have strained some muscles, but since it is not improving, I am very concerned. My questions are: 1. since this has gone on nearly continuously for over a week, would this exclude the possibility of it being TIA related? There has been no numbness, pain, or any other symptoms. 2. He currently has an infection in a tooth but it's in the right lower jaw, not the left. Could this be linked to the hand weakness in any way? Thank you for your time and response.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 If your husband does not have any  previous history of TIA, stroke, peripheral artery disease, diabetes, blood disease, cardiac disease, or high blood pressure, it is not likely that this may be a TIA episode. In the view that he was doing physical labor as you stated, this may be related to an overuse or repetitive movements of the hands, it would be important to rule out a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Lack of aerobic exercise (along with increased Body Mass Index) is a risk factor for the development of CTS and should be addressed. Overuse of legal drugs (e.g., caffeine, nicotine, alcohol) can contribute to CTS and should therefore be reduced. And It is not likely that the tooth infection may be linked to the hand weakness.

Questions related to Stroke

Possible stroke sign

For approximately thee weeks or so I have numbness in my left hand on in my index finger and ring finger. Also numbn...

Stroke, seizure, need help

Head ache, nausea sudden vomiting, urinations and defecation tat the same time. diarrhea..

Head tingles on back right side.

What causes the back right side of my head to tingle?

Please Explain my Corotid Doppler Exam Results

Dear Doctor, I had a color doppler of may carotid today and the report states the following 1)There are no internal ...

Spasms and involuntary twitching under eye

I have some jerking in my face just below my right eye, the only thing I have been taking is Guanfacine HCL 1mg (a ge...

Am I going to have a stroke?

I have anxiety and insomnia. I can't sleep at nights and every night I have panic attacks. I get scared to death. I d...

Bad headaches and my speech is getting worse af...

I had a stroke 2 and a half years ao caused by a hole in my heart. i totally lost my speech and i could not write. i...

Stroke in Children and Recurrence

My 3 year old son had a stroke (blood clot) few weeks ago. right side was paralized for few hours and he was release...

Carotid artery blockage and risk of stroke

After ultrasound on my neck it was determined my artriey on the left side was completly blocked. is it wise to wait...

Middle aged woman with Vertebro Basilar insuffi...

T I don't want to do anything to cause one either. Should I take a leave of absence until my risk factors are more u...

Post stroke and bipolar like symptoms

My dad is 56 years old and suffered a stroke one year ago. He now suffers from Visual agnosia and aphasia. Lately ...

Could my mother have had a stroke?

My mother doesn't remember what happened the other night. She doesn't remember our entire 20 min conversation or an...

Any evidence on Zolpidem effects on stroke pati...

I am interested in the use of stilnox on stroke victims. I see where stilnox has been tried in England and Australia...

What causes a TIA?

A few months ago i had a strange sorta episode but i didnt know what was happening to me so i just ignored it until ...

Possible Stroke sequels:Left side paresis

2008 injury to left shoulder,possibly dislocated,put back.after ten minutes paralysis complete left side. had all si...

Mini Stroke and Blood clotting in Brain

I would like to know more about the treatment that my doctors had given to my mother. Two months ago my mother sudde...

Best friend had three TIA's - chances of recovery?

My best friend had 3 TIA's 5 months ago.. He went to the hospital and they discovered a clot in his neck. He can't ...

Pregnancy risks after history of stroke

I am a 25 year old female who recently had an ischaemic stroke. I am interested in having kids in the next few year...

Early onset cerebral small vessel disease witho...

In 2007 I began to experience daily headaches. After a few weeks, I also began to experience episodes of light-heade...

Cure for Stroke Sequels?

Is there a cure for stroke? My Dad had stroke about three years ago and since then his health is been declining stea...

Hemiplegic Shoulder Pain (HSP)

Before my stroke, I used to live at the gym and I would do lateral raises, shoulder, with 30,40,50 kilo dumbells. So...

Stroke caused by steroid?

My friend went to the hospital because of a rash covering his body.they docs gave him steroid and then not long afte...

Diagnosis and Risk of Cerebral Aneurysm

Hi, my mother is sick. she had a stroke 2 years ago. Last 5-6 days she has a dizziness every day for 2.3 ours and sh...

Causes of stoke in young adults

If a 20 year old patient has had stroke, was given burr hole as a treatment and now she's on low dose aspirin (75mg)...

Recovery time and potential from Stroke

My father (age 83) had a severe stroke seven weeks ago. He lost the use of his left side and has had limited recover...

Post Your Thoughts