Question :

How is constipation related to UTI?

I have some difficulty urinating, as sometimes my urine comes out too slow, it doesn't come out in a normal stream and it stops abruptly,it dribbles,i cant control my bladder properly as sometimes i'll feel very uncomfortable then i know i probably need to void but i wont get any sensation till about 10-15 mins later.when im in certain posture then i'll suddenly get an urge,the urge is usually very strong but sometimes if i go to pass must wait a little,i tried sitting and urinating it helps a bit but i must sit upright. No leakage of urine though. I also am always constipated passing dry and hard stools for about 3 years and have excessive gas. Noticed since problem became worst always defecate first before i pee when i need to defecate. When the constipation is for long then the urine dribbles more and the urinary symptoms are worse. I have been for numerous tests last year and this year as well. The mcug had to be repeated as the radiologist struggled to get into bladder, only during the second appointment after struggling did he get in the bladder and apparently everything was ok, but later went for an ultrasound on entire tract and thereafter drinking alot of water about 1 litre there was residual urine left and i had to go every .15-30 mins about 5 times thereafter but my kidneys were ok.normally now i go every 2-3 hrs and sometimes i cant feel the urge and become uncomfortable especially when constipated. The urinalysis and bloods were fine but before the urinalysis had 2 uti and was put on augmentin. The doctor did a rectal exam and my prostate was ok. The urologist then told me that it was all in my head and told me to see a shrink. My lower back also feels numb and my bladder area feels heavy sometimes,sometimes i also feel nauseous,perineum gets numb. I am 22 years old and very worried.could it be the constipation causing this or is it something else please help.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
There is a known correlation between UTI and constipation. Constipation can dilate the rectum (which is located just behind the bladder) and can cause voiding dysfunction; when this happens, urine backflows from the urethra to the bladder causing UTI. It is also alarming that your perineum is numb. However, try avoiding constipation first before concluding something is wrong. Increase fiber in your diet, eat more of fruits and vegetables and drink lots of fluids. This should make your stools softer and will relieve the constipation. If you will still be having all of these symptoms even after doing this, then you should see your doctor again. All of your tests turned out normal; it is very unlikely you have a structural abnormality on your urinary tract. Like I said, before thinking of other things, try treating or do remedies for the conditions you are certain of having, which is the constipation. I do hope I have appeased your concern and take care always.

Questions related to Urinary Tract Infection

Pungent urine smell since couple of months for ...

My son is 9 months old. His Urine has pungent smell and he is Uncircumcised. We had done CUE and Urine Culture by col...

Urine Culture Indicated

A urinalyses indicated trace amounts of leukocyte esterase, indicating a urinary tract infection. Two weeks later I h...

Cystitis and Ramipril

Is potassium citrate mixture and ramipril safe to take for two days for a cystitis

Urinary Tract Infection

I tested positive from a AZO test strip for a UTI. I started antibiotics Ciprofloxacn 250 mg 1 every 12 hrs. 4 days ...

Diflucan- shelf life?

What is the shelf life of Diflucan? I have some from 2 years ago.

UTI at 25th week of pregnancy

Hi, I am 25 weeks pregnant and just got a call yesterday from the Doctor's office that they found UTI in my urine ...

Urinate too much after drinking water / tea

Every time after I drink water/tea I always find myself going to the bathroom to urine a lot. I think I drink way too...

4 days contionous masturbation can cause any pr...

I have urine test 2morrow ,but i masturbated regularly last 4 days ,will it cause any problem in urine test?

2nd VRE UTI with stomach flu symptoms

Hi Doc! I have been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis 4 years ago, after many failed attempts to treat bladder s...

Itching and burning of penis, puffy red spot un...

Hi, I'm 17 years old and im having a problem. Around mid-day, i got done peeing. I started to feel a burning sensatio...

itching, burning and confused

My boyfriend and I practice safe sex, we are both faithful, and I have a burning sensation after I urinate, I also h...

Strong Ammonia-like smell only in last few drop...

Hello - A couple of years ago I started eating spicy food - very spicy food. At times I would add a spoonful of ch...

U.T.I pain

Diagnosed and given antibiotics but pain stopped so never took them, now weeks later it hurts again

UTI

I'm a 26 year old female with recurring uti's. My latest culture showed 100,000 col/ml Enterococcus species in my ur...

Upper urinary tract infection?

Am I suffering from an upper urinary tract infection?

Pain in cervix.

I've been having frequent urges to urinate, and today I've begun to have sharp pain in my cervix. It doesn't burn whe...

Constant urge to urinate and frequent urination

I have a constant urge to urinate, even after I go the feeling doesn't go away. I haven't been to the doctor yet and ...

months a go i started having trouble in urinati...

months a go i started having trouble in urination (frequent urination and pain in the urethra) i visited 3 doctors .....

Why won't a urodynamics test be performed when ...

Why won't a urodynamics test be performed if you have a UTI?

I am obese and suffering from swollen feet.

Good evening doctor. i am mouli 23 m . i am suffering with swollen feet from past few weeks. i was little obese. and ...

Frequent and painful urination

Dear doctor, I need your help. My name is Christiane Helene, female, 19 years old, from the Philippines. I live alone...

Can a urinary tract infection clear up on its own?

Hi, for about four days, I had the symptoms of a urinary tract infection (burning during urination, decreased urinary...

UTI's and flagged test levels

I'm a 37 yr old female. The last couple of years u have had UTI's off and on. Last week I participated in my comp...

Concerns after BMG urethroplasty

Hi doctor, I had a long running problem of urethral stricture, for which, I have recently (about a month ago) underg...

Will Catheter Removal Hurt

I have a Foley catheter and a Suprapubic catheter because of surgery to remove a urethral Stricture. I am a male and ...

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: Hi! I had symptoms very similar to yours for many years before I was diagnosed in my late 20s with a tethered spinal cord. Recurrent UTIs, constipation, heavy feeling and numbness in perianal area really made me miserable. I actually did not believe the doctor when I was first diagnosed after a MRI due to the fact that I never had any type of back pain. You should talk to your doctor about cauda equina, tethered cord, etc. Your symptoms sound scarily familiar to mine.