Question :

Genital warts in a middle aged male

I have warts on my skin round my pubic hair area is there a cure to get rid of them

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Genital warts represent the most common sexually-transmitted disease caused by a virus:human papillomavirus (HPV). Infection with genital warts may not be obvious. Genital warts affect both men and women and can occur at any age. Most patients with genital warts are between the ages of 17-33 years. Genital warts are highly contagious. There is a 60% risk of getting the infection from a single sexual contact with someone who has genital warts. Common warts are not the same as genital warts and are caused by different HPV types that infect the skin. Genital warts are indirectly associated with use of birth control pills because of the increased sexual contact without the use of barrier protection, multiple sex partners, and having sex at an early age. No single treatment is effective in eliminating warts and preventing them from coming back. Genital warts may go away on their own in about 10%-20% of people over a period of three to four months. Recurrence rates of genital warts are greater than 50% after one year and have been attributed to the following factors: Recurrent infection from a sexual partner, potentially long incubation time of HPV, Persistence of the virus in the surrounding skin, in the hair follicle, or in sites that are missed by the treatment used, deep lesions or lesions that cannot be detected. Genital warts often appear or increase in number during pregnancy. Dormant infections may also become activated. Because no treatment is 100% effective, it is important to prevent the spread of HPV which causes genital warts and some cancers whenever possible. Transmission of genital warts can be decreased if you use condoms and refrain from sexual activity until therapy is completed. The treatment options are as follows: Cryotherapy this freezes the wart using liquid nitrogen or a "cryoprobe." It is an excellent first-line treatment because response rates are high with few side effects. Laser treatment is used for extensive or recurrent genital warts. It may require local, regional, or general anesthesia. The laser destroys the HPV-induced lesion. It is very costly, increased healing time, scarring, and potentially infectious viral particles in the air caused by the laser plume. Electrodessication uses an electric current to destroy the warts. It can be done in the office with local anesthesia.

Questions related to Warts

hand warts/growths

Can genital warts be spread to hands and vice versa? I have had some small growths on my hand for a while, they are 2...

Clean my wart

How do I clean my wart on my hand that was just removed?

Wart 'thing' on my foot, what is it?

I have this wart like thing on my foot (see image) I really don't know what it is or why it wont go. Can anyone recog...

Question about the transmission of genital warts

Can you get genital warts if you wash your genitals with a washcloth that was used on a foot with plantar warts?

Warts in the genital area. Cause?

Hi,i just want know if i have hvp,folliculitis,genital herpes or other. I've had these warts for a month or more and...

Pearly penile papules, treatment options

I have something called Pearly Penile Papules and would like to know what i must buy to get rid of them?

Wart removal by cryotherapy and complications

3 days ago my 9yr old grandson had warts removed by freezing on his fingers. He now has 2 reddish bumps that remind...

Skin tag or Acrochordons - treatment options

Hello, First to thank you for the website. I have had this abnormal swelling on my left leg since childhood. I don...

Burning meatus a sign of genital herpes?

If my meatus is raised a bit, pinkish and redish, burns after urination and ejaculation, does this mean I have genit...

Removal of painful bleeding genital wart

I need to have very large disgusting, painful and bleeding genital warts removed. I have no insurance,, what are my...

Three warts on one finger!?

I have 3 warts on one finger...what does this mean?

Hand warts - what are treatment options?

I have warts on my hands and i cannot get rid of them and they keep spreading around my hands. how can i get rid of ...

Skin lesion on the Inner part of the Thumb.

I have a hard piece of circular skin on the inner part of my thumb i usually clip it with a nail clipper,but it come...

What could this wart-like looking lesion be??

This has been on my right arm just below the for about a year. It's a bit rough, and the skin or whatever it is, is...

Persistant plantars wart and treatment

Hi, my name is Kevin. I am a 48yr. old male and have had a plantars wart on my foot for years.I asked a dr. about i...

Boil Under Warts

I have a Wart, I thin. I acutally can't remember what the Doctor (two, to date) told it it was. Either way, they bot...

Warts on only my right foot and hand: what are ...

I have warts on the bottom of my right foot and the palm of my right hand recently i have started gettin them on my ...

Plantar Warts: Other Options for Treatment

I'm 14 years old and I have had a verucca on my toe for 3 nearly 4 years.I've treated it with duct tape, liquid nitr...

Wart removal

What type home remedy or over the counter medicine can i buy for genital warts

MRI contraindicated in patients with a pacemaker

What will happen if i have a mri with a pacemaker

Whiplash Injury: a common cause of cervical strain

Whiplash.. I recently fell and hit my head and now my neck has cronic pain. The top of my neck on the left side of m...

Plantar Warts and HPV

I've had a plantar wart on the bottom of my foot, which I had removed years ago. Does this mean I have HPV? Can it b...

Managment of warts

HELLO THERE I HAVE A WART ON MY LEFT THUMB ABOUT THE SIXE OF A 1 PENCE PEACE , I HAVE HAD ACID FROM THE DR A...

Laser Wart removal and swimming

How long after laser wart removal (no stitches, C02 laser, wart less than 5mm diameter) is it safe to go swimming. T...

Planters warts

I have a planter wart that is killing me on the side of my big toe cant afford the dr. do you know any great remedys?

Post Your Thoughts