Question :

Why am I tired all the time

Hi! In 2005 I had to have an iron transfusion. I now feel like I might be low on iron again. I am very tired all the time. I have had a headache on and off for over 2 weeks. Could this be low iron again?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The usual presenting symptoms in adults with iron deficiency are primarily due to anemia and include weakness, headache, irritability, fatigue and exercise intolerance. Patients often complain of feeling “tired all the time”. Therefore with your previous history of iron transfusions, it is possible that your iron stores are depleted and you may be anaemic. I advise attending your family doctor for some blood tests including; a full blood count, blood film, iron and ferritin level and total iron binding capacity level.

Questions related to Anemia

Vitamin B12 deficiency after Gastric Bypass

I am having tingling of my hands due to severe deficiency of Vitamin B12 along with diarhrea, insomnia, depression, a...

Low neutrophils, high lymphs

Age 61 fatigue Wbc 4.0 Neutrophils 37 Lymphs 51 Creatinine, Serum 1.28 Should I be concerned, and if...

Girlfriend Suck blood out Boyfriend skin

My boyfriend had aplastic anemia when he was 15. He came in remission when he was 17. He is now 20, and has had no re...

Iron pills were giving side effects

Since I was anemic and the Iron pills were giving side affects the doctors ordered Ferritin transfusion a week ago

Nasal Packing due to Nosebleeds

I recently had my left nostril cauterized and then had a nasal packing within 2 days. Because my nosebleeds are so ou...

Harmful Iron Supplementation

I was wondering if it is possible to have an iron overdose if I was taking 45mg tablets daily for the past 6 months?

Abnormal menstruation

What is going on?! I had my normal period June 16-20. On June 23, I started cramping again. After three days of cramp...

Left arm pain and Iron Deficiency Anemia

Hi I'm a 14 yr old girl and i have iron deficiency anemia. I stopped taking iron pills about 1 yr ago. I havent been ...

Anemia and taking care of myself

I have anemia, im taking care of myself now, i was feeling really tired, then made some tests and just the anemia w...

Bruises along legs along with nausea and diarrhea

I have bruises all over my legs I am nauseous n have diarrhea I also have no appetite n losing weight

Low serum iron, low TIBC. chronic disease?

hi. i have been feeling more tired than normal lately. I usually don't sleep very much, usually an average of 5-6 hou...

Is my blood ferritin level of 14 ug/L high enou...

Hello Doctor, Background: My ferritin levels are 14 ug/L. The lab where I got my test done (BC Canada) states that...

CBC results and been on carbamazepine for last...

my wbc was 9 last month and this month it is 10.5, rest of cbc is normal. RBC= 5.56, HGB= 14.4, PLT= 148, LYM= 34.5. ...

Could taking stool soft pills be the cause of a...

My dad (age 90) has been diagnosed with anemia. His hemaglobin is low. his iron,b12 etc. levels are fine. He takes 2 ...

Scared of needles for anemic test

I am 13 and have the biggest fear of needles I could not bare to get a blood test to see if I was amemic today becaus...

Interpretation of Blood Results

I just got a blood test back and some items are of concern. I am living in an Asian country at the moment and the Doc...

what is commensal perineal flora?

What does commensal perineal flora mean on a urine test?

Random numbness in fingers and toes

I am a 30 yr. old female who experiences random numbness in fingers and toes for the past 2 months. I thought it was...

Chronic Low CBC's and Neutropenia

I have had chronic low red blood cell counts as well as low hemoglobin and low white (neutrophils) counts for the pa...

Weakness and pain in the extremities

Hii, I am 49 years old. My haemoglobin level is 8.6. Off late, i had started having pains in my back n limbs. I cons...

Do I need to increase the dosage of prescriptio...

I am on the ferrous sulfate 300mg and the meds started to wrok in terms of i wasn't feeling dizzy and the headches h...

Question about Blood count results

I was just told I have low red blood cell and low neutrophil counts, can you please tell me what that means?

Iron deficiency anemia after gastric bypass

My Hemoglobin is 10.5, Ferritin is 3, Iron 32 and Iron Saturation at 7. How dangerous is this and would an iron tra...

Anemia in males, what is the treatment?

I am 52 years old man. I am a commercial pilot. In the recent medical exam, my haemoglobin level in the blood test, ...

Hemoglobin of 8.8, what does it mean?

I went to the doctor and had blood work done, and my hemoglobin came back at 8.8, what does that mean?

Low Ferritin levels - What is the cause?

Hi i have been told by my doctor that my ferritin level is 11 and it should be at least 22, if nothing is done to in...

Is Iron Deficiency Anemia Dangerous for Health?

I was told i have really bad iron deficiency could this be dangerous?

What do the Blood tests for anemia signify?

What does the problem this blood test indicate and,Is there a big problem? PCV : 22 Hemoglobin: 6 RBC: 3.7 MCV: 59...

Tiredness after laparoscopic hysterectomy

I had a hysterectomy the Laparoscopy procedure Aug 8 2011, i was released to go back to work after 4 weeks. My job ...

I have Sickle cell disease. Can I take Viagra?

Dear Doc, I'm male 29 years old, I have a sickle cell anemia, and some times I feel irregular heart beat rhythm, i...

Elevated B twelve and ALT

Does mildly elevated B12 and ALT on a blood test mean anything serious? I haven't been feeling good lately and havin...

What causes low ferritin levels?

I am a 21 year old female who has been donating blood for 3 years and on my last donation was told that my Hb was to...

Anemia, Hypertension, and Asthma

I am going to ask question about my aunt. she is suffering from anemia.she had been admitted at hospital some days ...

Anemia and exercising: Is it allowed?

Is it safe to continue exercising when diagnised with anemia. My current iron level is 7.

Stomach aches, swelling ankles, weight gain

HI. I continually get stomach aches which vary in levels of pain from mild to severe. I have always had stomach iss...

Low Ferritin, High RDW and Platelets

I am waiting for a referral to a hematologist and worried about my blood work. My ferritin has been low for months, ...

Dizziness, anxiety and slight decrease in hemog...

I had a couple blood tests done a month apart. Here are the results from the 1st one:d Component Results Component Y...

Dizziness, eye twitching and tiredness

I have been having dizziness and headaches, and when i wake sometimes I feel like I am going to passout as well as h...

Vitamin B12 Deficiency

I am 30 and my B12 was 127 2 weeks later it had dropped to 116 my GP has told me to wait 3 months and he will test m...

This testing may be reasonable but is it necess...

I am a 68 year old female with a ferritin of 8.5, Iron is 71, TIBC of 555, % sat 13, Hbg. 12.9 and Hct. 40. In 2008 ...

Chest Pains: can they be due to Anemia?

I am a diabetic and the Dr said I have anemia lately I have had all of a sudden severe shortness of breath to the po...

Can I take both vitamin and Iron supplements to...

I AM not yet pregnantI am taking,prenatal plus one tab dialy my hemoglobin level is 10 then the doctore prescribed ...

Are these signs of anemia or something else?

My name is lilly and i'm 14 years old. i've been noticing that my sleep patterns have been unregular for a while and...

Is obsession to chewing ice a telltale sign of ...

Hello Doctors! Over the past year, I have developed an odd obsession with ice. Every time I have ice in my water, I ...

Taking iron supplements for Anemia but experien...

Over the last couple of years, I have been experiencing shortness of breath and heart palpatations. I looked this up...

Can a severe kidney infection cause anemia and ...

I am a 23-year-old female and 1 and a half years ago I came down with a sudden kidney infection. It occurred overnig...

How does this result tell if my son is SS or AS

My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed with sickle cell anemia. This prompted the necessity for all the family to ...

Irregular Cycles, Stress, Tiredness and Loss of...

Hi,I'm 30yrs female. I've been feeling weird with multiple symptoms. Do bear with me as i state my condition. Been t...

Low Hemoglobin, Iron Deficiency Anemia

I have low blood haemoglobin level 8 g per dl..low PCV 27.1 percent low MCV 55.99 cu microns low MCH 16.53 pg low MC...

Post Your Thoughts