acne problem with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation

Patient

Q: I am suffering from acne post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, not pale, what should i do.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation can usually clear up on its own in about 8-10 weeks without treatment. For the best results however, it is important that during this time you limit over exposure to harmful UV rays of the sun by wearing sun screen. Furthermore, there are topical preparations that can be prescribed to you by a dermatologist containing β-hydroxy acid (BHA) which can assist in improving the appearance of hyperpigmentation. Please follow up with a dermatologist consultation to determine if you require prescription treatment in addition to the advice we have offered.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com