Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Don’t know if I can do it or how much I can lose

Don’t know if I can do it or how much I can lose

Patient: How much weight can I lose I one month if I walk/ run for 1 hour every weekday. I am 18 at about 189 pounds and I feel gross

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Walking for an hour can burn up to 270 calories, and running for an hour can burn about 500 calories. Now a pound of fat is about 3500 calories. In order to lose a pound of fat in a week, without any changes in diet, you will have to burn 3500 per week. That is equivalent to walking 1 hour seven days a week, or walk greater than 1.5 hours seven days a a week. A better approach is combine the calorie burning benefit of walking with reforming your diet, removing unhealthy calories such as refined sugar, processed snacks, and excessive carbohydrates. Please consult your physician before starting any exercise regime.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com