Gonorrhea Treatment

Patient

Q: I have unprotected sex with only one person. I went to the clinic i got my pep smear, this makes the second time and my pep smears come back abnormal. The nurses tells me that i have gonorrhea. I do not have any symptons or any discharge. I just got treated for gonorrhea..How do i Know when the disease is gone?

Doctor

A:   Gonorrhea is one of the most common diseases passed from one person to another during sexual activity. Symptoms may appear within 2-10 days after exposure to an infected person-even longer for women (up to 3 weeks) or  no symptoms 30-40% of the time. The doctor may prescribe you a single-dose injection of an antibiotic such as ceftriaxone (Rocephin) or a single-dose pill such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro).
It is important to follow the next steps to make sure the infection is gone: 1) Finish the entire course of antibiotics your doctor prescribes, even if you're feeling fine and symptoms go away. 2) Notify all sexual partners to be tested for infection. They should be treated or tested so the infection is not passed back and forth. 3) Be retested yourself for infection 72 hours after you finishes all the antibiotics or if you think you've been reinfected or to make sure the infection is gone. Some doctors reccomend retesting 1 month after completion of antibiotics to ensure the disease is gone. .4) Get tested for other STDs, especially chlamydia and human immunodeficiency (HIV) at the same time.