I have one 18 months old daughter whom I stopped breastfeeding six months ago.

Patient : Hello, I'm a 29 year old female. I'm married and I have one 18 months old daughter whom I stopped breastfeeding six months ago. I started to feel a lesion in my right breast, it is painful and I can feel it in my hands. I made a mammogram test and an ultrasound test and the results came back that it is most probably a fibroadenoma. Attached are the test results. My doctor was concerned since there is family history in breast cancer as both my aunts (Father's side) had breast cancer (One got it in her fifties and one in her sixties), and one aunt (from my mother's side) has ovaries cancer (Got it in her sixties). taking into consideration the family history, my doctor decided that I should make an operation and remove the lesion, instead of observing it in the coming six months periodically for two years. I would like to know the opinion of an oncology doctor. Should I go ahead and make the operation? Or shall i observe it for the coming six months. and what do you think of the lesion? Could it be transformed into cancer? Thank you
Symptoms:  Painful lesion in the right breast.
 I have one 18 months old d...-1  I have one 18 months old d...-2  I have one 18 months old d...-3
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query at ATD. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. The chances of cance r are less in your case, as in your case it is fibroadenoma, benign tumor of breast. There is not any symptoms of pain, bleeding from nipple and size changes. But in view of family history precautions are advised in your case. Hope found useful, feel free to discuss more information. Good luck. Regards

Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: Thanks for the answer, yet i didn't get your recommendation is it advised to perform the operation and have the lesion removed or shall i just monitor it for the coming six months?
Doctor: Hi,
Fibroadenoma is a benign tumor but can only be treated with the help of surgery means evacuation is needed.
So get surgery done and tissue send for biopsy.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi I have a 4 month old I have had a lot of health problems from birth and mastitis twice and now relying on formula...

Q: I am a breastfeeding mother. I smoked marijuana for the first time yesterday around 5:30. My breasts started leaking ...

Q: This may be a bit obscure: I stopped breastfeeding about six months ago and ever since have had that tiny breast secr...

Q: Hello, I stpped breastfeeding when my son was 16 mos he is now 18mos. My period kind of came back when he was 9mos i...

Q: I want to ask about breastfeeding an infant with suspected cow's milk protein allergy. My 7 month old came out in net...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon