I was put on the depo shot for problems when I get my period.

Q: I have been on the depo shot for about 10 years, I am now 27 going on 28. I was put on the depo shot for problems when I get my period. I would get very sick like I had the flu, diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, I almost could not move. After many different medicaions my doctor found that the depo shot was the only thing to stop this. We do not know why I had problems when I got my period. I gained over 70 pounds while being on the depo shot. I was wondering if a hysterectomy could be preformed in my case. Now that I am old enough to know that I do not want children and that I am wanting to get off the depo shot to help with the weight problems. Is this something that could be done or would a doctor not want to do?