I’m a 25 year old male diagnosed with depression, no chest hair, very little facial hair, low energy, some erectile disfunction.

Q: Hello,
I visited askthedoctor.com today because a friend of mine suggested that I may have low testosterone levels. I’m a 25 year old male diagnosed with depression, no chest hair, very little facial hair, low energy, some erectile disfunction, low ejaculate fluid, and the biggest problem being trouble gaining muscle mass. I am studying to be a personal trainer, weight train five days a week, cardio the other two. I’ve studied / tried testosterone support supplements, and seen very little results (from what I can tell none of them work). My diet consists of many foods that should help as well. Is testosterone therapy safe?Should I have my blood tested? If so, how should I go about it?

Symptoms:  No facial, or chest hair
Low energy
Erectile disfunction
Trouble gaining muscle mass

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
To recapitulate: 25/male - no facial or chest hair - low energy - very little facial hair and erectile dysfunction with low ejaculate volume. - the biggest problem is gaining muscle mass - studying to be personal trainer - tried supplements and foods.
You have got few questions.
Is testosterone therapy safe?
Yes, it is safe provided taken under the guidance of an Endocrinologist. You need a clinical evaluation and most important the levels of the hormones as will be required by him/her.

Should I have my blood tested?
Surely yes, you should have blood tested as we discussed.
This will confirm whether your problems are related to the low testosterone and also helps to know the dose of testosterone to be taken

If so, how should I go about it?
Consult yours primary and get an appointment for an Endocrinologist. In the meantime get all the tests done if possible.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there a gap of communication.

Patient: I visited my physician, and had my blood tested. My levels are at 336, 63.9 free. My Doctor said that's normal for a 25 year old male, but what I read online looks like it should be in the 600+ range, especially if I'm trying to build muscle as a personal trainer. What should I do now that I have test results?
Doctor: Thanks for your feedback.
Since the testosterone reports are normal, you can not take any supplements in this regards as this can have adverse effects.
It is observed that the person with similar complaints and findings can have improved life and testosterone levels if you start taking well balanced diet under the consultation of a Dietitian and continue regular exercises with gradual increase.
Such persons have shown improvements in testosterone levels and improved the performance levels.
Repeat the tests after 3 months of new regimen.
Keep the stress and/or anxiety under control.
Depression as you have mentioned is one of the reasons for low libido and inability to gain weight and the symptoms you have. I would advise you to consult a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist for counselling and further help and medication if required.
We have to get the results.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please get these things done and give the feedback about its effects.
All the best.
Have a great day.