Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Mechanical back pain in a professional painter

Mechanical back pain in a professional painter

Patient: I am a professional painter,and for yrs if im bending over either under cr hood or taping base boards.I been getting severe lower back pain above butt area and left side down my legs.where i have to lay flat on floor.we have a history of back problems in family.I have been taking 10 200 mg.ibreprofen aday just to get though the day i’m 5’11” 200 pounds i can’t take the pain anymore.and need the jobs being self imployed what can i do.do you know a good dr. in metro detroit area i can see and get x-ray.i have know insurance though being self employed.i can’t take the pain anymore.please help me.

Doctor: Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US p opulation, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it may complicate with a sciatic nerve inflammation this seems to be your case.The suggested strategy would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: keep your weight under control, because the overweight suppose additional stress to the lumbar spine,  control the pain and the inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. You can keep taking anti inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) and you can follow these general recommendations: sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort, lying on your back with a pillow under your knees. If the pain persists for more than 2 months, it is strongly recommended that you get an evaluation by a physician.